New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've more or less decided to jump the tiger and get something in the AR platform. I've got a CZ 527 in 223 and wanted a semi auto to go with it.
I've got a budget that i could possibly swing either a Del Ton or the M&P sport. Anyone own or know anything about these? all comments appreciated. I've handled both but are there any major differences? TIA

· Registered
208 Posts
All I know about the M&P sport is that its a budget friendly AR15 without forward assist and a dust cover, I was considering getting this until people talked me out of it because of the no forward assist. I might not ever need the forward assist but they said its just a nice thing to have. I guess it comes down to if its worth the extra $300 or whatever dollars for it.

However I think its a great gun and there are a ton of reviews about it online. Can't say much about the Del Ton because i'm not familiar with it.

· Banned
1,269 Posts
I got an M&P sport and cant beat it for the price you can get these for IMO,though I havent shot it yet.I would say a great gun for a budget,but dont have any info/knowledge on a delton to compare.Everyone said my M&P looked better than my more expensive AR's,not sure if it was because it was brown earth color or M&P has a real hit with its looks!

· Banned
5,971 Posts
I have a Del Ton upper, I'll throw it up against any other budget upper on the market for reliability and accuracy, matter of fact I'll throw it up again a lot of uppers on the market that cost a lot more.

· Registered
48 Posts
I have a 16" Del-Ton that I got during the great buying frenzy of 2009. Nice rifle, uses a commercial buffer tube. Do you plan on ever upgrading the buttstock? The rifle has been accurate and reliable. I think my barrel is a 1/9 twist. We upgraded the trigger with a CMC unit. Not a needed change, just a let's make this even better type of thing.

The S&W's have gotten good reviews by the local shooters who have them.

Del-Ton makes several different rifles, so you should make sure you are comparing comparable models.

I am not sure if they are available in NY, but S&W has a Magpul based rifle that was very nice looking. It was a little more than either the Sport or what my Del-Ton was but it felt nice.

Handle both rifle and then buy what feels best to you.

· Banned
1,269 Posts
Here they are the Sport vs Sport!M&P has a lil higher MSRP,but these ones would be the 2 to pick between I guess.Other than finding either in stock and/or wait time for delivery and actual price paid I would say pretty close choice?Seems like the hard part these days is finding what you want in stock,me I dont like to wait thats why I would/will pay more or choose a different brand/models to get what I want now and in-stock (im not brand loyal at all).Anyone know what these are going for now in-stock ready to ship price,or are they back-ordered like most?

Del-Ton, Carbine Rifle

Product: Model M&P15 Sport

· Super Moderator
3,277 Posts
My advice would be to save a bit more and buy a Stag. All mil-spec so parts are easily swapped. Dick's sells them every day for $850, in stock on the shelf around this area. It's the NY compliant version of the Model 3. You can probably find a better price if you look around some.

· Registered
2,099 Posts
Google image search delton bolt failure.

Stags are on another level compared to delton, take it all in... :)

The M&P sport and the Deltons are bottom level AR's, they are put out to serve a basement budget market. They are built as CHEAP as you can build an AR on a factory production level, every corner that can be cut is. No matter what anyone says, a gun built to serve that market and purpose with costs cut that far will not be a great quality, product that is meant to take a high level of abuse.

On top of that the sports have MIM Fire control groups, MIM is garbage. It has no place in a FCG in either an AR or a 1911.

Shooting one "flawless for 200 rounds" (hear that so often when people talk about cheap guns) does not mean ****. Come back after 5k rounds or even 8k rounds (in one year) with an absolute flawless record and you have a good start on a worth while review.

· Registered
2,116 Posts
As of right now I wouldn't buy either with the prices that PSA has for a really nice quality rifle. You can have an awesome rifle ready to go that's gonna be better then any of the 2 you are asking about above for $679.70 if you just follow my links!!!!!

16" Chrome lined hammer forged upper - $299.95
PSA 16'' Hammer Forged Madness M4A1 Stripped Upper - Without BCG or Charging Handle

Nice lower - $99.95
PSA AR15 Lower

Lower build kit with stock - $79.95
Palmetto State Armory Premium Classic Lower Build Kit - Lower Build Kits - Lower Parts - AR-15

mil spec carry handle with sights - $54.95
Palmetto State Armory Mil Spec Carry Handle

Bolt Carrier - $129.95
M-16 Bolt Carrier Group - Bolt Carrier Groups - Upper Parts - AR-15

Charging handle - $14.95
AR15/M16 7075 T6 Forged Mil-spec Charging Handle - Charging Handles - Upper Parts - AR-15

EDIT: I just checked the links that were posted above to the 2 rifles and someone would be crazy to buy them over the PSA.

· Registered
2,099 Posts
According to the owner of Stag they produced the uppers for the M&P models, not sure about the Sport though and Smith and Wessen produced the lowers in house.
Stag built the very first generation of M&P rifles, this was a few years back.

Smith has since farmed everything out. Extreme machine makes several of the receivers for the M&P line as well as the new mossberg AR's.

· Banned
1,269 Posts
As of right now I wouldn't buy either with the prices that PSA has for a really nice quality rifle. You can have an awesome rifle ready to go that's gonna be better then any of the 2 you are asking about above for $679.70 if you just follow my links!!!!!

16" Chrome lined hammer forged upper - $299.95
PSA 16'' Hammer Forged Madness M4A1 Stripped Upper - Without BCG or Charging Handle

Nice lower - $99.95
PSA AR15 Lower

Lower build kit with stock - $79.95
Palmetto State Armory Premium Classic Lower Build Kit - Lower Build Kits - Lower Parts - AR-15

mil spec carry handle with sights - $54.95
Palmetto State Armory Mil Spec Carry Handle

Bolt Carrier - $129.95
M-16 Bolt Carrier Group - Bolt Carrier Groups - Upper Parts - AR-15

Charging handle - $14.95
AR15/M16 7075 T6 Forged Mil-spec Charging Handle - Charging Handles - Upper Parts - AR-15

EDIT: I just checked the links that were posted above to the 2 rifles and someone would be crazy to buy them over the PSA.
Yea I would take that over both those guns!On the bright side the M&P doesnt need muzzle braked and pinned,thats a pain in the AXX!!!

· Registered
8,557 Posts
"I'm so glad I had that forward assist, it saved my life" -No one said ever.
During Vietnam there were quite a few GIs found dead with cleaning rods stuck in the barrel of their brand new M16s. They tended to not feed properly in the harsh conditions of combat. Which is why the M 16A1 came out with a few modifications including a forward assist. This improvement meant you could force the bolt closed on a stubborn round and continue the fight.

If anyone is considering an AR type weapon for home defense or SHTF situations not having a forward assist would be asinine.

· Registered
3,406 Posts
My advice would be to save a bit more and buy a Stag. All mil-spec so parts are easily swapped. Dick's sells them every day for $850, in stock on the shelf around this area. It's the NY compliant version of the Model 3. You can probably find a better price if you look around some.
No doubt Les, Stag is tough to beat for the price.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.