New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
I've never had the chance to shoot the Rem R25, but all my father and myself use now are BAR's. We have 7mm mag in wood grain, a 7mm mag in synthetic stock, a 300 mag safari with BOSS system and a 300 WSM now. Love all of them. The synthetic stock units are WAY less weight, so consider that. The short mag rifle is a good combination. My father likes it as it fits him better, he's a little stockier and 5'10" or so. I'm 6'0" and not as bulky in the mid section, but catching up. I shoot any of them comfortably. The BOSS system equipped 300 is stupid loud as an FYI.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Remington R25 is a DPMS 308. The camo job is garbage though. It will hold for a while but then start to peel off.
The BAR is a nice rifle. The issue is that maintenance with Browning is a PITA should any service be needed in the future.
The AR has all the aftermaket support being a DPMS inside.
Just keep in mind in NYS most cannot buy these with a grip. They are now what the communists call Assault Weapons.
Consider a saiga in 308w. While it is a bit spartan is perfect for hunting and more accurate than the BAR.
They are very popular in the east to go pop deer, bears and hogs.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I thought about this more yesterday after my first post... these really are two completely different rifles here, hard to even really make a comparison.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Is the 300 mag safari with BOSS system Compliant ? Its Semi Auto, has a detachable magazine & the Boss is a compensator
Nobody knows. NYSP had this as an example of a compliance rifle on their presentation when they started. Now it is gone. This law is open
ended so it changes with the weather patterns.

Anyway with a 300 win mag for deer is a good way to avoid field dressing since you will have the guts all over the place and the deer already
quartered when you pick it up.

..300 win mag is a waste and not precisely a meat saver for hunting in this region.

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
Nobody knows. NYSP had this as an example of a compliance rifle on their presentation when they started. Now it is gone. This law is open

Anyway with a 300 win mag for deer is a good way to avoid field dressing since you will have the guts all over the place and the deer already

..300 win mag is a waste and not precisely a meat saver for hunting in this region.
I remember reading in history books that a 30-30 could kill a deer. They must have mutated or something!

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
I remember reading in history books that a 30-30 could kill a deer. They must have mutated or something!
I read tales of the 30-30 harvesting all sort of meat for generations.
I even heard rumors of people harvesting white tail with 44 lever action.
LOL!

·
Registered
2,983 Posts

View attachment 35184

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
... I was thinking what about the 375 RUM or the nitro express for white tail?
With killers like white tail roaming the woods, you'd be crazy to leave the house with anything less than a 375 RUM.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts