New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a deer butcher. close proximity to 17 and below exit 84. Any suggestions? I remember one in Liberty but not sure he is still in business.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
I was able to butcher my own deer in 1/2 hour but we skinned them as soon as we could. If they are warm the skin came off like a glove.
jim

·
Registered
791 Posts
I was able to butcher my own deer in 1/2 hour but we skinned them as soon as we could. If they are warm the skin came off like a glove.
jim
I'm guessing the OP doesn't have the space to properly process a deer. When I was a kid, they just hung the deer in a tree in the back yard. The neighbors thought it was a natural thing. Now-a-days, the closer you get to the city, the more people are pussies about seeing dead things.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
for $60-80 I'd recommend the OP to buy a good knife, watch couple U-tube videos and do it himself.

Hang it in your bathtub if you have to!! :p

I butcher my first deer last season and it wasn't hard at all! And I use a couple cheap flip knifes.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
for $60-80 I'd recommend the OP to buy a good knife, watch couple U-tube videos and do it himself.

Hang it in your bathtub if you have to!! :p

I butcher my first deer last season and it wasn't hard at all! And I use a couple cheap flip knifes.
Looks butchered to me....

·
Registered
47 Posts
Its worth the cost to pay someone if you do not know what your doing. I was a butcher for 12 years and did process about 1000 dear over a 5 year period on the side. Its not rocket science but each muscle should be cut properly to avoid ruining the deer. Anyone can cut a deer but a butcher or someone with experience will do a much better job.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Its worth the cost to pay someone if you do not know what your doing. I was a butcher for 12 years and did process about 1000 dear over a 5 year period on the side. Its not rocket science but each muscle should be cut properly to avoid ruining the deer. Anyone can cut a deer but a butcher or someone with experience will do a much better job.
I agree with you on the part that each muscle should be cut properly but one only learns from taking that first cut.
Sure the OP will make a mess the first time but over the years he will be just fine and get better and wont have to drive around looking for a processor. Maybe this will give the OP some encouragement

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I usually butcher and process my own deer and with a group of us we can finish in under an hour. I will be hunting solo a few times this season and would just drop it off to have it done if I tagged one. I actually saw desertos sign driving back to Crooklyn this weekend. Guess I have some options now. thanks for the input

1 - 14 of 14 Posts