New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:rifle:Been waiting for my permit so i have decided I need to get something to plink with. Any one have or can anyone suggest a cheap 22 rifle for sale? I am on SS disability so please don't tell me "you need to get a Henry" Have compaired on line and local gun shops..damnnn miles apart on prices from what i have seen.....help!

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Remington 597. A lot of people will recommend a Ruger 10/22 and they may be fine rifles, but I liked the feel of the 597 better and it has been nothing but reliable. I got it for $170.

·
Banned
714 Posts
I would recommend buying a used 22 rifle. You probably can get a decent one for $75 to $125 dollars depending on whether or not you want a bolt action or a semi-auto. The bolties are usually less expensive. I recently picked up a Stevens 66-B, it needed a rear sight step. The rifle was $90, the rear sight step cost me a whopping $8 (shipping included). So, I got a decent plinker for $98.00 and yet probably spent at least $10 to $15 too much (pretty sure I could have gotten one for less).

First shoot: The target was only set at 50 feet (16.7 yards), but with my eyesight in late middle age, open iron sights, a gun I never had fired before, with basic standard velocity 22 long rifle ammo thrown into it, I figure that was not a bad grouping. It turned out similarly at 25 yards.

I have several other rifles in .22LR, some I bought news but most older used models. The older ones have always given me the most bang for the buck and have always been more accurate than the new ones.

All the best,
Glenn B

·
Registered
75 Posts
I really like my Marlin 795. It was $149 at Dick's, and shoots very nicely right out of the box. I ended up putting Williams Firesights fiber-optic sights on it, and now a scope, but even stock it shot great.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Savage Mark 2. Cheap, cheerful, bolt-action, reliable, amazingly accurate even with cheap ammo like Federal bulk and fun to shoot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts