New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Signed up for MTDS shotgun class and need to buy some decent training ammo that will cycle in semi auto but not break the bank (or my shoulder lol). Also need some ammo to break in new gun before class. Any recs? 2 3/4 or 3" shells. I need 250 rounds of bird shot, 50 rounds of 0000 and 20 slugs for class. Not sure how much I should shoot through new gun before class to work out any kinks etc. Slugs are GTG in smooth bore, right? Is there a minimum size bird shot for tactical class or are they all pretty much the same? Stupid questions but haven't shot slugs or trained on shot gun for home defense before. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Yeah saw it but would prefer to use a known brand esp for training class. I'm of the school that if it sounds too good to be true it probably is lol. That said I know you said you have used it without issues... thanks.
IF it gave you issues. (not likely). It would be a better training ammo because you will learn to clear jams / issues and better learn your new shotgun

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
IF it gave you issues. (not likely). It would be a better training ammo because you will learn to clear jams / issues and better learn your new shotgun
Lol. Haven taken Chris' classes in the past I'm sure we will be spending a lot of time clearing jams but I appreciate where you are coming from...

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Lol. Haven taken Chris' classes in the past I'm sure we will be spending a lot of time clearing jams but I appreciate where you are coming from...
lol NP here is a video review also with patterning. I really try to push this ammo on everyone because no one believes how good it is for the price. Paying almost $1 round + tax for remington and winchester 00 buck is a huge rip.

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Semi auto 's can be fussy sometimes, you need to see what the weapon likes.
Yeah heard that. I think the common issue with this gun is using a light load. That's why I asked about min shot size for bird shot.

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've read some issues with light loads on other forums /gasp/ lol. Solution seems to be to break in the gun. Hopefully no issues but I built a 6.8 that was fussy until it was broken in. Its a champ now lol...

·
Registered
794 Posts
I like the Rio royal buck it can be found for $.45 a round online. Also I use the winchester super X silver box 100 round box for $25-35 per box. I just found some in 6 shot at dicks on sale for $25 I usually use the 7½ shot in my moss 930 without issue and that gun can be picky!

·
Registered
794 Posts
I tried bird shot in my 930 after only about 75 rounds of heavy stuff and no go on any kind it was a single shot! after about 150 rounds of heavy buck it'll cycle the super X 100% and the super cheap federal Walmart packs about 95% of the time. I don't dare try the winchester Walmart packs LOL!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts