New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A guy at work popped a large bobcat last night with his truck and trying to do the right thing called it in. DEC was going to tag it untill they found out its size and refused to let him take it. Is there any recourse for him?

Attachments

· Registered
2,177 Posts
Probably want to do research/take notes on it. If it were a buck, usually you can report it to the state police, they'll come tag it and record the information and let you take it...

· Registered
1,211 Posts
I'll have to agree with the research part. Since a bobcat is still a lesser seen species in the state, they may just want to do a necropsy and find out all the interesting things about it's life, habits, health, etc.

· Registered
1,840 Posts
I'll have to agree with the research part. Since a bobcat is still a lesser seen species in the state, they may just want to do a necropsy and find out all the interesting things about it's life, habits, health, etc.
Yeah right...one of them has ideas about mounting it for himself, or one of his relatives. Those guys don't fool me one bit.

These are the guys that will be out of a job if we all boycott hunting licenses, right?

· Registered
2,327 Posts
Doubt it. It really depends on where in the state this was. They pretty much know all they need to about bobcats, they been studying them for decades. In the northern part, up by Albany and north, they have open seasons on them, the pelts need to be tagged, so they can get all the research they want that way if they are so inclinded. In the western part of the state, there is no open season, and you may not posses a bobcat hide or carcass regardless of whether it has been hit or trapped. I tend to think that is the ultimate reason that a tag was not given.

· Registered
1,840 Posts
Fulton has a season, it's just closed right now. If what his buddie said was true, and they were going to tag it...until they saw it's size..well then the BS flag has to be flown.

· Registered
2,327 Posts
I'd have to imagine a bobcat pelt would bring a couple hundred bucks right now.
Ya, if you were out west, here less than $100 for a really big pelt. No, I don't know the reasoning, other than it has something to do with the spot difference between the eastern and western bobcat. Anyway, DEC operates by it's own rules, if they wanted it, then there's little anyone can do about it. Next time don't call them.

· Registered
192 Posts
Years ago, I worked for an Assemblyman who covered part of the Adirondacks and was considered a hero among shooters, snowmobilers, trappers, you name it. He used to tell the story that THE MOST contentious legislation he ever handled was that allowing Sheriffs--beyond DEC and State Police--to handle (and claim) roadkill. Apparently those with jurisdiction guard it jealously.

Wish I could be assured of the research angle, but I know too much….

· Registered
2,327 Posts
I thought I just saw one go for $240 at auction in NY. I'll look through my emails. I swear I saw it........
Doubt it, but hey, who knows. This is what this guy is paying, have to scroll down a ways. I tried to find the NAFA prices, but they don't market bobcat until spring/summer. Here is what this guy is paying, which is about what I have heard being paid for eastern bobcat..

Fur Pricing for Licensed Fur Buyer Windy Ridge Trapper

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.