New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My local dealers are mostly all still collecting cases for COBIS at the time of sale, even though it's my understanding that COBIS is dead.

They say 'Nobody has told us anything about it, sorry' and that's that.

Anyone else seeing this? Or have some sort of conclusive statement that says they're supposed to stop?

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
My local dealers are mostly all still collecting cases for COBIS at the time of sale, even though it's my understanding that COBIS is dead.

They say 'Nobody has told us anything about it, sorry' and that's that.

Anyone else seeing this? Or have some sort of conclusive statement that says they're supposed to stop?
I am a dealer, and your dealer is right and wrong. It's NYS that's why he hasn't heard from the COBIS. So here is the long and short. He needs to make the call to them, I did myself.

So COBIS is gone, shell casings if present with the firearm are to be retained by the dealer, for how long, who knows. I was told to hang onto to them. There is no testing anymore, effective for all sales after 3/31/12. All sales prior to that date if not completed still need COBIS. He or she needs to send their P12 form to the pistol dept section, NOT the COBIS section. My address to send to is:

NYSP Pistol Dept Office
Bldg 22, 1220 Washington Ave.
Albany, NY 1222?? Sorry have the rest written down

This information came from Sgt. D'Allard of the COBIS center.

As of today I officially have nothing in writing from the state, I called them to confirm it.

Bob

·
Registered
5,053 Posts
What if you paid for a firearm prior to that date but then it had to be manufactured and your FFL didn't receive until April?

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
What if you paid for a firearm prior to that date but then it had to be manufactured and your FFL didn't receive until April?
I am pretty sure it will have to have either a shell casing sent to or tested at COBIS. He (Sgt. D'Allard) was pretty clear on the dates. Your dealer can also confirm by calling Sgt. D'Allard at COBIS or Sgt. Sherman at NYSP Pistol Dept. he can answer anything and everything. Valerie at same office is very good with information and helping.

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
I am a dealer, and your dealer is right and wrong. It's NYS that's why he hasn't heard from the COBIS. So here is the long and short. He needs to make the call to them, I did myself.

So COBIS is gone, shell casings if present with the firearm are to be retained by the dealer, for how long, who knows. I was told to hang onto to them. There is no testing anymore, effective for all sales after 3/31/12. All sales prior to that date if not completed still need COBIS. He or she needs to send their P12 form to the pistol dept section, NOT the COBIS section. My address to send to is:

NYSP Pistol Dept Office
Bldg 22, 1220 Washington Ave.
Albany, NY 1222?? Sorry have the rest written down

This information came from Sgt. D'Allard of the COBIS center.

As of today I officially have nothing in writing from the state, I called them to confirm it.

Bob
I am not trying to be a trouble maker lol but I find this very interesting. So I finally decided to look into the cobis law. It is not on the books anymore (as we all thought) notice section 396 FF is missing.
Laws of New York

To make sure I was looking in right spot I looked it up on an unofficial site that wouldn't be updated and I found it here.
NY Code - Article 26: MISCELLANEOUS
and the law itself here, N.Y. GBS. LAW § 396-ff : NY Code - Section 396-FF: Pistol and revolver ballistic identification databank

So my question is how can the state legally require a FFL dealer to keep the shell cases themselves when there is no law requireing it? From what I can tell (yes I am not a lawyer) based soley on the now repealed law is that an FFL would be required to still provide the caseings for any firearms received by them before the law was repealed. BUT if I went to a FFL and had them order me a pistol the day before the law was repealed and it arrived AFTER the law was repealed then the casings would not need to be kept or turned into Cobis since it wasn't received by the dealer while the law was in effect.

Here is the specific part in the repealed law I am refering too.
(5) On and after March first, two thousand one, a gunsmith or dealer
in firearms licensed in this state shall, within ten days of delivering
to any person a pistol or revolverreceived by such gunsmith or dealer
in firearms on or after such date

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Firefly, thanks for that info. I'll pass it along to my local vendor.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
What is a P-12 form?
I tried to figure it out. I couldn't find a definite answer but I'm thinking it's something to do with this...

(2) the certificate of compliance issued by the New York State Police upon collection of the ballistic sample for such firearm at a regional CoBIS center, which shall also serve as the original transaction report required by subdivision 12 of section 400.00 of the Penal Law.

If I read it right, it's basically the info that gets sent to Albany so the state knows what NYS permit holder purchased the gun.

Maybe one of our FFLs can clear things up.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Four FFL holders that I know received a letter from the state informing them of the change. No real details. It just told them they they are no longer required to do the COBIS procedure.

Pretty basic. Your guy must have missed the memo!

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Are the Troopers even still collecting!? They should NOT be! So if you are an FFL and take a gun there to be fired will they still do it? Seems wrong to me...

·
Registered
853 Posts
The P-12 form is basically the NYS version of a dealers federal acquisition + disposition book. Whenever a dealer receives a handgun into inventory or disposes of one from inventory the P-12 is filled out and sent to the NYSP. It tells them where it came from on the inbound side and who it went to on the outbound side. If done correctly and in a timely manner (they'd like to see it done weekly) they also know what is in a dealers inventory at any given time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts