New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Never had a problem with my car before,went out a few minutes ago and reverse would not go in gear.Gave it a lil gas and it clunked into gear and did reverse.Drove it down town and first gear has a lil hesitation from stop to go now.This car has only 80g miles on it and the check engine light did not come on.Am I screwed and the tranny went,and any idea what kind of money im looking at?Its just the basic 2006 V6 3800 GM (Grand Prix) motor,and I think I see an AR or 2 hitting the Market Place in my future....

·
Registered
140 Posts
Let the car run and get to temp, check the trans fluid stick while in park, see if its low or burnt... Could be a solenoid in the valve body sticking or tq converter issue... it should set a code esp being a 2004+ gp... if its trans related

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I would try looking on some grand prix / 3800 specific forums, this may be a simple fix (of course it could be bad too)

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Automatic or manual? If auto, first thing to do is check your tranny fluid. If manual, could be clutch. Hopefully quick fix and not too much out of pocket. Good luck.

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its an automatic and the fluid is not low or burnt.I had a 2005 same model/everything thats got 135g miles on it and running good still,liked it so much I bought this one!This really sucks,not sure what to do next but I think drive it till it gets worse for now.A new tranny installed has got to be 3 grand or more.As you all should know this is not good for me..

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
... You said that reverse did not go into gear - by that do you mean that the shifter itself would not move into the reverse position ? ....

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Has the trans filter ever been replaced? Had a similar issue in our '97 GTP summer car not long after we bought it, also with no fault codes. Trans filter was original and packed with crud--basically wouldn't let any fluid get passed. I replaced the filter and fluid and it was golden.

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
... You said that reverse did not go into gear - by that do you mean that the shifter itself would not move into the reverse position ? ....
The shifter goes into place but the tranny didnt engage till i gave it a lil gas,then it clunked into gear.

Has the trans filter ever been replaced? Had a similar issue in our '97 GTP summer car not long after we bought it, also with no fault codes. Trans filter was original and packed with crud--basically wouldn't let any fluid get passed. I replaced the filter and fluid and it was golden.
You know that will have to be my first thing to do,it is recommended at 50g mileage.Had it done with the last one but not this one.Thanks for that little tidbit,sorta gets my hopes up some.My local quick lube does that so will have to call early morning and see if they can get done then...Crossing my fingers but thats where im going to start,thanks again!

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
No problem, man. Definitely not saying it's your issue, but it might be. Even if you don't get it fixed there, you might also wanna consider a diagnosis by a GM dealer. It'll cost you around 90 bucks, but at least you'll know (for sure) what the issue is.

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Shift solenoid. Sounds like it doesnt realize its going into gear. Does it shift fine? Or hesitate?
Yea seems to work great in the short time I drove it forward,just would not recognize reverse to good.Got to thinking quick lube probably does not change the tranny filter,as they would not have them in stock IMO.Got to call a shop tomorrow that my brother recommends,hopefully they will know more.Just weird it happened with no warning,seams like the tranny would gradually dissipate/degenerate.....Thanks for all the help guys,hope to get it in a garage tomorrow if not at least get an appointment.

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No problem, man. Definitely not saying it's your issue, but it might be. Even if you don't get it fixed there, you might also wanna consider a diagnosis by a GM dealer. It'll cost you around 90 bucks, but at least you'll know (for sure) what the issue is.
Yea just put $400 in my other one (girl-friends) last month at the local GM dealer because the security sensor would not recognize the key.Hope to at least find out the problem without putting to much into a dead horse/tranny.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Yea seems to work great in the short time I drove it forward,just would not recognize reverse to good.Got to thinking quick lube probably does not change the tranny filter,as they would not have them in stock IMO.Got to call a shop tomorrow that my brother recommends,hopefully they will know more.Just weird it happened with no warning,seams like the tranny would gradually dissipate/degenerate.....Thanks for all the help guys,hope to get it in a garage tomorrow if not at least get an appointment.
I would still get the car scanned. Its got a OBDII reader so any parts store will do it for free. Just because the lights not on doesnt mean their isnt a pending code. But it sounds like a sensor to me. Because if it drives fine in gear, and just screws up when shifting i dont think its the tranny.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
BTW can they detect the problem without the check engine/error code showing?
A skilled technician doesn't necessarily need a CEL to find what's wrong with a car. Even when it's on, it's more-or-less just going to point them in the right direction and they'll diagnose from there

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I'd like to think I know what I'm doing, can't always be sure on that, though. :p

My first guess is that it'd be bad ATF, and you should get a flush. But you mention that you got it done at a Quick Lube, so my next guess is either they used the wrong stuff, or something was introduced that's plugging the valve body. However, the wishful side of my head is saying that it might be something simpler, so if you could just indulge it, maybe check your transmission linkage to make sure it's tight and stiff, that the revers lights come on when it's in revers and keep the button held down, slide it in the space between gears. They won't grind.

Maybe I'll come up with something better when I'm soberer.

·
Formerly SRV1
4,720 Posts
How does it shift in the forward gears? Do you have all of them that work or just 1st and 3rd gear? If you are just having issues with just the reverse gear then a good chance it is the reverse servo seal or spring that is bad.

James

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
That could be anything from a one time glitch to a bad sensor to a trans pump going bad to a plugged filter to a bad torque converter ... shall I continue? I would change the trans filter and fluid since it's close to the mileage it should be done. (check to see if the fluid is still red or if it's now brownish color or black even and up to the correct level and if it gives off a somewhat burnt smell bad trans is going to be what you hear from the repair shop. It could have been the way the car was parked previously as well or it could need a small linkage/cable adjustment. It could be absolutely nothing. Don't rule out a weak or completely shot engine mount either. (I know I know ... they call them motor mounts BUT that's an engine in the car ... a motor is electric and yes I'm anal when it comes to mechanical crap!) 1st gear and reverse are the same gear so if you're having problems with take off ...... well ... AR's are coming up for sale. ;) Have it checked out and hope it's only a clogged filter.

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
A skilled technician doesn't necessarily need a CEL to find what's wrong with a car. Even when it's on, it's more-or-less just going to point them in the right direction and they'll diagnose from there
Yea after this initial shock wore off I agree that a trained/certified GM professional has to look at it,to many variables to trouble shoot IMO.Read alot of others had this problem with these models and a tons of could be this/that.Calling the local dealer tomorrow and making the appointment.A new tranny is around 3 grand installed for this model,sucks but I got to much in it to junk/sell it.My next one will definitely be a Jap car,cant be any worse.....

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
I'd like to think I know what I'm doing, can't always be sure on that, though. :p

My first guess is that it'd be bad ATF, and you should get a flush. But you mention that you got it done at a Quick Lube, so my next guess is either they used the wrong stuff,...
There are plenty of vids out there showing that these shops don;t actually do the flush a significant percentage of the time. Same with not changing out the parts, and still charging the customer and pretending that they did it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts