New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about buying a Czech CZ-82 9x18 Makarov in the future from aim.surplus.com, but I am unsure if it is legal in NY. The gun comes with a 12 round magazine and does count as a C&R weapon. I guess the issue is the 12 round magazine, but would that be legal since it is a C&R eligible handgun? I believe the standard limit is 10 rounds in NY?

Also, Aim.surplus says nothing about this firearm not being able to be shipped/sold to NY customers. It says it would ship to a dealer holding an FFL if you live in NY state.

Here is link to the gun.

Czech CZ-82 9x18 Makarov Pistol

Thank you.

·
Registered
273 Posts
The odds are pretty strong that the magazine is pre 1994 production so it should not be an issue if you have a FFL who knows his stuff.

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
On that particular gun, I would call the BATF and proper NYS agencies. I have an 03FFL and although I don't buy pistols, I can tell you that gun is not 50 years old. It obviously has some sort of historical value to get it on the BATF C&R list OR Aim is wrong and it's not really a C&R gun. It has happened before. Seeing the gun being banned from sales to CA is a good tip off that it won't be good in NY either. It states only dealer sales to NY. I have found alittle info on it for you.

Modern Firearms - CZ 82/83

"It's chambered for the 9X18 Makarov cartridge which is NOT interchangeable with 9MM Luger (Parabellum, or 9X19) ammunition. Use ONLY 9X18 Makarov ammo in this pistol."

Definitely a gun worth looking into why/if it's on the C&R list and be sure it's NY legal.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
If the magazine is made before 1994, it is legal, it doesn't matter when the gun was made. If you want to get it with a C&R FFL license though, that is not legal as C&R FFLs in NY do not allow pistol transfers.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was just think of buying it from a dealer. I do not currently have a C&R license. Still not able to get it?

Also, found it is listed officially as a C&R gun.

SECTION II: Firearms Classified As Curios Or
Relics Under 18 U.S.C. Chapter 44

Czechoslovakian, VZ82/CZ82 all calibers, all serial numbers.

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
If the magazine is made before 1994, it is legal, it doesn't matter when the gun was made. If you want to get it with a C&R FFL license though, that is not legal as C&R FFLs in NY do not allow pistol transfers.
The preban mag isn't the question ... the gun itself is I would think. Since it comes with a 12rd mag, what else would you put in it if it's not preban?? Here's some info from the link I posted which makes me question it.

"Since 1992 and until now, only CZ-83 is manufactured in all three chamberings, to save the costs. Vz.82 was developed to replace the obsolete 7.62mm Vz.52 pistols then in service with Czechoslovak army."

This CZ is a variant of the VZ82 .. kind of a mash of a commercial and military/LE handgun. I find this one insteresting that's for sure.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
What is the question then? I thought it was about the 12 round mag legality...

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is whether I can legally go out, buy, and own this gun with no troubles. One of my biggest concerns was the 12 round magazine, but it seems as if we have cleared that up to this point.

I guess my final question is, can you purchase it through a dealer legally, or must you have a C&R license to own it in the first place (In NY state of course, any other state I could just go out an buy the pistol right now)?

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
It is whether I can legally go out, buy, and own this gun with no troubles. One of my biggest concerns was the 12 round magazine, but it seems as if we have cleared that up to this point.

I guess my final question is, can you purchase it through a dealer legally, or must you have a C&R license to own it in the first place?
The second part is what I'm concerned with. I understand the pre ban stuff ... I don't understand the info saying from "1992 until now ..." nor do I understand how or why this gun is on the C&R list. I'm looking now on the BATF site to maybe get you some better info. You may just wanna call a LGS and ask them as I'm sure you're not the only one asking about these guns as they seem to have great reviews!! If it's 100% pre ban .. I see no problem right Darthgamer?

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
A C&R FFL licence would make no difference because in NY you cannot transfer pistols with a C&R FFL. If you go to a gun store and you see one in the store then obviously you can buy it, or you can order it from the web and have it transferred to the FFL for a fee. You do have a NY pistol permit though correct?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've seen these for sale in a gun store in NY with the 12rd mags. They had a tag on it saying "pre-ban"...but who knows.

-Jay

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
At the moment, no I do not have a NYS pistol permit. I got all the paper work in 4 months ago, so anytime I should get it.

This pistol was just one of the guns on my top 5 pistols that I personally want to own and I just wanted to make sure of its legality before purchasing it in a month or two.

So, thank you for your help so far. Like someone said in the beginning of the post, it is probably best to ask my FFL dealer or political personnel who is knowledgeable in the gun field.

... or just not buy it at all.

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
At the moment, no I do not have a NYS pistol permit. I got all the paper work in 4 months ago, so anytime I should get it.

This pistol was just one of the guns on my top 5 pistols that I personally want to own and I just wanted to make sure of its legality before purchasing it in a month or two.

So, thank you for your help so far. Like someone said in the beginning of the post, it is probably best to ask my FFL dealer or political personnel who is knowledgeable in the gun field.

... or just not buy it at all.
Yes check with your LGS. You cannot order it and have it shipped to a dealer. The dealer MUST place the order themselves for pistols in NYS apparently. Good luck and please let us or at least me know why this has made it to the C&R list. I'm coming up with nothing. I'm very curious as to the history and what exactly makes it a curiosity. ;)

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Yes check with your LGS. You cannot order it and have it shipped to a dealer. The dealer MUST place the order themselves for pistols in NYS apparently.
I ordered my P99 and had it shipped to a dealer. You can order them from Buds Gun Shop right now. As long as it is shipped to a dealer.

·
Registered
948 Posts
All older CZ's have the year of manufacture stamped on the weapon...My CZ82 was manufactured in (19)83. There are no date markings, or "Law enforcement only" stamps on the magazines. If anyone ever questions your CZ82, just show them the year stamp...it is very easy to see,

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Yes check with your LGS. You cannot order it and have it shipped to a dealer. The dealer MUST place the order themselves for pistols in NYS apparently. Good luck and please let us or at least me know why this has made it to the C&R list. I'm coming up with nothing. I'm very curious as to the history and what exactly makes it a curiosity. ;)
Sorry I know this thread is a little old, but I heard that the CZ-82 was on the C&R list because the country of origin no longer exists... Communist Czechoslovakia split up into the Czech Republic and Slovakia back in the 90s...

I'm looking at picking one of these up as well, glad to have found this thread!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts