New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dads Taurus revolver had an issue at the range today and I was hoping for suggestions.

After shooting all 5 rounds he pushed the button to open the cylinder but the cylinder did not budge.

You can rock the button back and forth. Looking between the crack on back of cylinder you can see it defititely engage/disengage the pin. Also, if you pull the hammer back a little you can freely spin the cylinder with no resistance or issues.

my guess is part of the pin assembly that runs along the bottom of the barrel is jammed somewhere but trying to find a way to free it without doing damage.

Any suggestions would be great.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
very very light taps with a brass hammer or rubber mallet?

·
Registered
708 Posts
I'm not familiar with this particular gun but believe it is a clone of a S&W J-frame - and I have had a similar experience with a Smith.

So I will tell you what I would do with a Smith and you can see if it works on your Taurus.

First look into the ejector rod shroud under the barrel. There is probably a spring loaded plunger in end of the shroud that mates up with the end of the ejector rod. If so, try to slip a thin strip of metal between these 2 parts. What you want to do is press that plunger back into the ejector rod shroud (toward the muzzle) so that it is not contacting and "caught" by the ejector rod.

Then push the cylinder release button forward and, as said above, gently tap on the cylinder to pop it open.

Once you have it open you will probably find the ejector rod is loose and needs to be turned back into the cylinder (on a Smith, this is a left hand turn).

If the rod continues to loosen during use, I would take it out and put a small amount of finger-nail polish on the threads (poor man's Locktite). This will work like Locktite but not as firmly, the bond can easily be broken by hand if need be but it will keep the rod from loosening during normal use.

Edit to add - if the ejector rod is real loose you really have to find a way to "un-mate" that plunger and the rod. Otherwise you risk bending the rod as you force the cylinder open. Sometimes you can just pop the cylinder open but I have had the ejector rods loose enough that it was really stuck on that plunger.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to both of you for your responses.

I have a s&w j frame which side by side with the taurus they appear a little different.

Tapper- I think your definitely correct in saying the ejector rod is loose. I let my dad know and he is going to try to get something thin in there to try to push the pin manually.

On my s&w the front pin extends out of the frame when the button is pushed to the left. On the taurus it all seemed enclosed from what I remember, not sure if there is anywhere to pry.

Ill keep u all updated. Thanks

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like the suggestions worked and he got it unjammed. He said he tightened the ejector rod and it is back in "double/single" action.

please excuse the corny gun joke haha

Thanks guys

1 - 6 of 6 Posts