New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought the ruger american rem bolt action .223 rifle and am looking to do some customeizeing but am haveing some issues with it. I'm trying to mount a scope on it but for some reason I can't get it to mount on due to the size of the rail. The same issue happens with the scope I use for my .22. Does anyone know what type of scopes fit onto this rifle? Also I'm thinking of adding a bi-pod is it legal to do so if so what kind fits this brand of rifle?

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
It should have come with scope bases. You should be able to use any scope you want but also figure out the scope ring hight in relationship to the scope.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Any scope will fit. Depends on you rings and rail. A pic would be helpful in determining what the problem is. Sounds like something is out of whack. Is the scope touching the barrel? You can over-torque and bend the rail slightly. What is the problem exactly?

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
You may need to use a higher scope ring I know the scope rings that came with my mini 14 were to low for the scope I have so I bought higher ones problem solved but if all else fails head to your LGS they should be able to fix you up. As for the bipod your good to go they are perfectly legal.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
What make and model ks your scope?
What about the rings and base?
Are they the same system and standard?
Dovetail will not work on the std. Base.
if you dont know some pics might help otherwise
We all are guessing.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
When I try to screw on the scope it seems to be just a tad bit small to fit onto the rail.
Sounds like you are trying to mount dovetail rings on a weaver/picatinny base.

Rings and bases designed primarily for 22lr rifles use a smaller design sometimes called a dovetail rail that uses rings usually identified as tipoff. The rail is 3/8" wide and the slots are not divided, meaning the rings can be mounted anywhere on the rail. This system is simple and adequate for 22lr since there is very little recoil to deal with.

Centerfire rifles typically use a base and rings in the weaver or picatinny style. The edges of that rail will be a bit over 3/4" wide, and usually the bases have a slot cut perpendicular to the rails where a crossbar or bolt will fit through the rail to hold the ring.

Scopes designed for rimfire rilfes typically have less eye relief and a fixed parallax, often at 50 yards. Scopes designed for centerfire will have longer eye relief and adjustable parallax (so the crosshairs and target can be in focus at the same time).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts