New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on making a new stock for my Remington 581 but I'm not really sure what type of wood to use or where I can get it. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Birch wood is very nice. They use it on SKSs, AKs and I'm currently making my own for my PSL. Just takes patience.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
For the birch... 4x8 was about, $30. Found it on Craigslist under materials.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

This is pretty much what I'm going to be making. I've gotten used to shooting pistol grip while prone/bench rest so the factory stock is uncomfortable.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
First time? No way I could do something that intense. On mine, the stock & pistol grip are seperate. Just traced them and adjusted everything on a template to fit me. Your is going to be some hard work. Keep us updated, would love to see how it turns out.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
First time? No way I could do something that intense. On mine, the stock & pistol grip are seperate. Just traced them and adjusted everything on a template to fit me. Your is going to be some hard work. Keep us updated, would love to see how it turns out.
First time with stock but I've been doing woodworking for years. I need to work some finger grooves into the pistol grip itself and I'm considering making it so the cheek rest is adjustable like how it is on the Magpul PRS stock. I know it's possible just would take a lot of work haha. This is normally something I'd ask my grandfather about since he taught me a lot about woodworking and everything like that but unfortunately he passed away in '03

Too bad I don't have the money for aluminum. I could just CNC the whole thing and make it so I could bolt the PRS stock directly onto it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts