New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the price of ammo being what it is, I am trying too find a way to cut down the cost of shooting my slug gun.

I mentioned in another thread about sighintg in using premium ammo. this got very expensive.

Has anyone grouped well using foster type slugs from their rifled barrell slug gun?? Is there a reason why the rifled slugs are reccommended for smoothbore guns? I know some manufactures suggest they can be used in rifled barrells but too hit a broader market they will say anything.

thanks for the help

· Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i posted this thread and then did a google search and came up with tons of info on rifled slugs in rifled barrels vs sabot slugs in smoothbores vs sabots in rifled barrells.

Seems to me i will just have to try them out and see how it goes. not looking to drive tacks just get some decent groups at 50-75 yds.

Regardless, if anyone has anything too add it will be appreciated and for anyone looking for a great artcle on the subject, you can go to

The Box O' Truth #46 - Shotgun Slugs, Sabots, and Smooth Bore Barrels - Page 1

· Registered
136 Posts
I've been wondering about this for awhile. I may just try it myself to see how accuracy is affected. With a good sabot round going in the relm of 2-3 dollars a pop, it rivals even the most premium ammo for my -06.

· Registered
5,426 Posts
Before I knew the difference I fired sabot slugs out of my 20 gauge Mossberg 500 and a smooth bore barrel and I got 6-8 inch groups at about 50 yards, and that was while sighting in a 5MOA red dot on a rail. Stupid me thought "rifled slugs" meant for a rifled barrel, but the rifled slugs through the same gun do definitely show increased accuracy I think.

· Registered
4,955 Posts
Rilfed slugs are really the only option for smooth bore barrels as there is nothing to stabilize the slug when fired through the barrel, so the slug itself must be able to self-stabilize. Sabot slugs require the help of rifling in the barrel to impart spin when fired, so accuracy of a sabot from a smooth bore is likely to be horrendous. An exception that I can think of is the Brenneke KO sabot slug, which has grooves cut in the slug that supposedly impart spin even in a smooth barrel, so the box states it can be used in both types (rifled/smooth) of barrels. They're not cheap though. Any time the word "Sabot" appears on the box, expect at least $2/slug or more to be the going rate.

I've tried various brands of rifled slugs (Federal Tru-ball, Remington Sluggers, Winchesters, etc.) through my rifled Rem 870 barrel on a number of occasions. With some brands of rifled slugs (fired through a rifled barrel), I noticed occasional odd behavior, such as a slug going through the paper sideways, creating a rectangular hole in the target. In other cases, groupings from rifled slugs in my 18" smooth bore barrel were similar to that of my 24" rifled barrel. Overall, I consistently found the tightest groupings using sabot slugs in the 24" rifled barrel...in my particular setup (Rem. 870 w/24" rifled barrel), the Hornady SST's punched 1-1.5" clover leafs at 100 yds with no drop whatsoever. Best group I could get with rifled slugs (Rem. Sluggers) in my 870 (smooth barrel) was 2.5-3" at 100 yds, but with 3-4" of drop. This is good enough, however, for hunting deer, and definitely an inexpensive hunting setup.

Regardless, IMHO a rifled barrel *should*, in theory, give you better accuracy with just about any ammo fired through it, since it imparts spin on the slug giving more stability in flight. If you're just looking for slugs for plinking or for general shotgun handling practice, ammo quality isn't as much of a concern. However, for hunting, why not spend a little extra on a good quality sabot slug that gives a tight grouping (and much greater ft/lbs. energy) at 50-100 yds? I'd rather go with a consistent hitting, higher energy sabot for hunting purposes. For plinking or recreational target shooting, the cheaper rifled slugs are a logical choice.

If your goal is to hunt...you can do well sighting in and shooting cheap rifled ammo consistently with good groupings, then it's probably ok for hunting. Just make sure you stick with the same ammo that you use for sighting, preferably from the same lot/case, otherwise your POI may be off when you're ready to take that critical shot. Buy up several boxes of the same brand of slugs at once, sight in with 2-3 boxes, and leave things alone until you're ready to hunt.

· Registered
1,194 Posts
You can shoot rifled slugs in your rifled with decant accuracy until the rifling gets leaded up. You can get a cheap 12 ga loader and load slugs with a Plastic wad and get 3 to 4" groups at 100 yds. You can load them for about 4 to 4.50/ 5 slugs. That is cheaper than Forester slugs. I sell alot of them. I am in a county with shotgun only law.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.