New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cuomo Cracks Door Open On Pre-State Of State Gun Control
JAN 2ND - 3:29 PM
Posted by Nick Reisman in Andrew Cuomo 0 Comments
Between the lines at Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s cabinet meeting was an implied hint that he wasn’t ruling out a special session before the State of the State on Jan. 9 to tighten the state’s gun conrol laws.

Cuomo pushed lawmakers to come back last week for a special session to address the issue, but many legislators were out of town for the Christmas holiday.

Passing gun control legislation now would make New York the first state in the country to approve any measures since the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut and after the shooting of firefighters in Webster, outside of Rochester.

Cuomo told reporters at the meeting that no deal on gun control legislation — which could include an updated ban on assault weapons — and that there were no plans to bring lawmakers back to Albany. For now.

“I bring them back when we have an agreement,” Cuomo said. ”We don’t have an agreement.”

The governor was asked about the timing of his gun control measures and when they would be introduced. Cuomo has a knack for introducing legislation when it’s assured the measure will actually pass both chambers of the Legislature. Once a deal is in place, Cuomo doesn’t like to dawdle and allow an agreement to fall apart over night.

“We now have the State of the State in a number of days,” Cuomo said. ”So to bring them back — they’re going to be here in a few days anyway. That would all have to weighed, but we don’t have an agreement so I don’t have any plan to bring them back.”

If Cuomo wants to be the first state to pass a meaningful gun control measure, the period of time before the State of the State may be his best shot. Albany is usually dominated by budget discussions at the end of March and the more contentious legislation gets done the final week of the legislative session in June (last year’s Big Ugly in March was an exception, but that had to do with the timing of a judge’s ruling on redistricting).

Regardless of when the legislation will come out, Cuomo indicated today that he doesn’t expect a gun control measure to include microstamping and he would not take a position on whether the Empire State Plaza should hold a gun show later this year.

· Registered
6,222 Posts
Cuomo can shove any new legislation up his ass. I'm sick of having to worry about my rights being taken away.

· Registered
3,933 Posts
Cuomo can shove any new legislation up his ass. I'm sick of having to worry about my rights being taken away.
Amen...

Let them get their house in order before they start with this bull****. Worst approval ratings in the history of politics across the board, can't fix the waste and corruption and they think this is going to help them?

Idiots.

· Registered
3,441 Posts
I stopped at State Senator Betty Little's office today and she had time to speak to me, then she took a call, then another call, and then we wrapped up quickly after. We of course had to acknowledge the Sandy Hook shooting, which I said was a media debacle (she agreed) and I stated that we still don't really know what shot the children, no comment from her on that. She said that she didn't feel "assault" weapons had a place in our society. I told her the "weapon" was a means for the killings and that I could easily take out 30+ people with my car any night there is a hockey game in town, but of course I would not. She brought up mental health. It is the issue. She would support armed people in schools. I told her that could probably be done through volunteers if necessary. She said that she has 14 grandchildren in school and what the Sandy Hook children must have felt before they were gunned down. I told her that she needs to get her personal emotions out of this and to stand up to the big boys. I asked her if she knew how to eat an elephant, (didn't get it), one piece at a time Betty. Got pushed out before I could discuss gun registration, etc. I will be sending her an e mail tonight to remind her in print that it's not all about the assault weapons, it's about the start of the agenda. Also stopped at my outgoing Congressmans office, the aid did not know how Gibson stood on the pending Feinstein legislation. Stopped next door to him at our new Assemblyman, Dan Stec's office and he was not in but I left word for him to call. Keep plugging away guys but not looking like there are enough balls in the house.

· Registered
4,733 Posts
Say what you will on this little itty bitty web forum, and you know I am joking on that, but in the grand scheme of things, you have to look at the bigger picture....

BUT

Posting a statement here that they need to stop, or can't do this or that will not mean anything other than you are just preaching to the choir. We are all aware of certain things (hopefully) and that's why we are here. The anti's are driving this with emotion and less than factual information. They are getting the word out incorrectly and once that's out, the damage is done. We are left to defend our position on partially deaf ears.

We need to write our political people. (Don't tell me it is a waste of time. If you think that, you have already given up) We need to have an intelligent, well meaning and factual discussion with them. Don't blow any rhetoric up their shorts - they've heard it all before. Talk to them as a colleague concerned about safety. Talk to them about the facts. Inform them of certain details that they need to become educated on those facts. Educate them about the terms that are incorrect. Bring details with you. Take any emotion out of the discussion and be a well represented person. You will be surprised how far you will get.

Do your research to refute each topic that is incorrect. Have the data to back you up. Have some talking points to show them that the term "assault weapon' is wholly incorrect. Look up the post I put up earlier today. Go read it as it contains a lot of good info.

Be as educated and clear as possible to help the people you talk to become the same.

Now, more then ever, you need to show the undecided or anti's that you are not the evil, violence prone person, but a well cultured individual.

Do it. Be it. Show it.

· Registered
2,107 Posts
**** cuomo. Pretentious prick

· Registered
4,733 Posts
Don't tell us..........tell them!

· Registered
248 Posts
Visit your reps office, call, write, email. Let them know how you feel. Take a little time and be polite. Show them we are not nutcases, just responsible, reasonable, law abiding citizens who value this right.

· Registered
3,441 Posts
Visit your reps office, call, write, email. Let them know how you feel. Take a little time and be polite. Show them we are not nutcases, just responsible, reasonable, law abiding citizens who value this right.
My e mail following my visit

Betty,

Thank you again for finding a few minutes to speak to me today. We were cut short a bit. A majority of responsible gun owners, lets say 99.99999% will nevr use their rifles or handguns to kill innocent victims. Many people own the so called "assault weapon" which can accomodate a high capcity magazine. Of course our laws in NYS say that we can only have 10 round magazines unless they are "pre ban 1994" in which case we may have 20. 30. 50. 90 etc. We also have "evil feature" laws in NY unless they are "pre ban". So we cannot have more than 2 "evil features" meaning a handgrip and a 20 round magazine will make most potentially illegal with the new ban Cuomo is going to present. I think we can all agree that the 99.99999% of the people will be oppressed with this pending legilation. Nothing and I mean nothing will keep the bad guys from obtaining whatever they want. We discussed mental illness and I think we can all agree that this is where the focus needs to be. We also discussed having armed teachers and guards in schools, this IS the answer. We also need to abolish "gun free" zones. These are "targets" for anyone looking to take out many, easily. Banning guns and or magazines will do nothing to prevent massacres. In reality, any ban is just a start to more bans and this is where I and many other New Yorkers have an issue. And if Andy wants to register and tax our guns only law abiding citizens will abide by them, not the bad guy, and most probably not the guy with mental illness. And do you or any other lawmakers really think that all will comply with a mandatory registration? You can't keep killers in jail (West Webster gunman) what will you do with all the new felons created by any ban nonsense. You cannot argue with any of my statements as they are all prudent. I noticed you had some passion regarding little children being killed since you have grandchildren, I get that. However, these emotions should not influence your opinion on laws created to ban guns, magazines, our create a map of who owns what. I would support use of NICS for all private long gun sales with the stipulation that the type of gun should not be a requirement. It should be a free, simple, yes or no. Keep up the good work Betty, in these trying times.

Guy

· Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll weigh in.

I work in politics and have for a decade at all levels (staffer, campaign operative, etc.)

When dealing with federal level, calls are the least effective format. You won't reach the elected and the staff can easily,blow,off the call. You'll probably be speaking to an intern anyway. Plus targeted elected officials get calls from out of the district so after a while if you get a tally mark you will be lucky.

Emails are excellent. Most have web forms that mandate an address in their district to send one. Snail mail is slow. Mail has to go through scanning processes (after the anthrax scare) so there is an extra few days to get them in. And when they are busy they can backlog. Faxes are useless.

Emails generate a paper trail and they have to respond. They also keep track better that way.

Dont minimize Facebook. If they have a page, comments on that can be very effective. Just don't be rude, combative or hostile in any way or your comment might be deleted and likely wont be considered anyway. Calm, rational factual. Your tone should be helpful without being condescending. I know, I know, a lot of rules, but this is what is effective. Remember, at this level you are trying to convince the staff. The elected almost never sees any actual communication.

Letters to the editor that mention the elected directly (same rules as above) are gold. Non-published ones are still valuable, email them on to the office and let the elected know where you sent it.

State level is different. Much easier to speak to the elected directly (aside from statewide elected like gov or attny gen - for them consider them like a federal)

The same rules and suggestions as above apply except calls and visits to the district offices become very valuable.

Always go at it as someone trying to be helpful. Disgruntled people get their opinions ignored or at least deeply discounted. Name calling is right out, obviously.

Remember, the anti-gunners are going to come at this from pure emotion. They are going to be shrill, outraged, demanding, lacking in facts and inscessent. We need to be the people the electeds become glad to talk to because we are not standing in their office being hysterical.

The fact that, as morbid and awful as it is, that we know that Sandy Hook would have been the same level of massacre with a 7 shot pump shotgun loaded with shot shells won't matter. We need to be consistent in our message that this is a mental health issue and not a gun issue.

Others here have done a great job of laying out that argument, I can't and won't try and duplicate. I just wanted to give you all some inside baseball on how communications are handled and prioritized internally.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.