New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
solar city just inked a deal with nys. we the people of ny are building a factory for them. $500 million. we also are supplying the equipment another $250 million. the rent is $1 per year for 10 years. it can be extended another 10 years for the same rent charge. a total of $20. it also is in a zone in buffalo that they won't pay corporate tax for 10 years. 1700 jobs are expected. solar city is a sister company of tesla motors and space x.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Not to detract from the thread, but what are everyone's thoughts on solar energy? I'll give my opinion - solar panels are terribly inefficient, expensive (an investment that might not pay off for at least 15-20 years), and how difficult is it to detach the panels if you're in need of a re-roofing job? It's also a bit baffling why a large solar company would want to set up shop in WNY - we hardly see the sun from November-March.

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Didn't. Obama try this and it went belly up

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not to detract from the thread, but what are everyone's thoughts on solar energy? I'll give my opinion - solar panels are terribly inefficient, expensive (an investment that might not pay off for at least 15-20 years), and how difficult is it to detach the panels if you're in need of a re-roofing job? It's also a bit baffling why a large solar company would want to set up shop in WNY - we hardly see the sun from November-March.
the incentives to come here were outrageous.

as for solar I have 31 panels. my house is very efficient on electric. my break even is less than 6 years. after all incentives the system cost me $8000 installed. my total electric bill last year was $340. they are easy to remove but best installed on a newer roof. my front shingles will probably not ever need replacing now. if ever buying, and that is the only way to go, get the system with micro invertors. about 70% less parts than what solar city uses. they lease it to you so you don't get the federal tax credit.

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
Solar is coming around. The technology use to cost a lot and the ROI was longer than its lifespan, but now it's last longer and the cost is coming down, so it makes slightly more financial sense.

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
Regardless of your stance on solar power, this corporate welfare/crony capitalism situation is stupid.

yes but solyndra did not have the deep pockets that elon musk now has.
Solyndra had the backing of the US government, so I'm not sure the depth of the pockets was the issue.

·
I proposed in my NYFirearms.com t-shirt
1,647 Posts
we see typical paybacks around 7 years here in wny (theoretically anyway) for commercial PV applications.
but the panel lifespans are often only 10 years (they degrade & start losing efficiency).
at least that's what I'm told by nyserda geeks regularly these days. better incentives pay for them quicker obviously.

also there are a lot of variables to consider for your own application. you can do better than this, and you can do worse than this.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Regardless of your stance on solar power, this corporate welfare/crony capitalism situation is stupid.

Solyndra had the backing of the US government, so I'm not sure the depth of the pockets was the issue.
solyndra money was a loan not an outright gift. they had to be profitable in order to make their payments. they weren't profitable.
solar city deal is a out right gift. when solyndra went belly up the problem was that the Chinese govt was backing panel producers. they were selling a a loss here solyndra couldn't compete. now any Chinese panel that is imported gets hit with a 40% tariff. leveled the playing field. solar city was having a price problem there cheap Chinese panel price went through the roof on pricing

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Can you ballpark the actual cost before incentives?
since I installed 3 years ago prices have come down. the total price was $30k. nyserda gave me $11,500. had to pay $18,500 and get the tax creits. ny credit is $5k and the feds I think was $6k. these credits are basically prepaid income tax. you can't write them all off in 1 year.

today I would go with out the nyserda money. get higher output panels and self install. you still get the tax credits if you self install. I know some solar installers. higher them off the books for less than $1 to install. get a electrician to hook up the meters. with a micro inverter system you only have 4- 8 gauge wires running to your panel from the roof for a 7kw system. for less than $15k you could have a 7kw system installed. the companies take that nyserda money as pure profit from you.

·
Banned
2,647 Posts
This is complete bull**** and outrageous. It should never ever be allowed. This is cronyism at its finest, not free market or capitalism. Your solar energy crap is not sustainable or reliable if from the get go you need taxpayers money to fund it. It is by definition not sustainable if it cannot exists on its own. this is a parasite model.

Want to start a business here? Pony up or go to a ****ing bank and take a loan like the rest of us. Cuomo has no moral right to force us pay for their business.
Scumbags.

·
Registered
774 Posts
And how much rare earths are used in the building of these so call green energy panels. Just google what a rare earth mine looks like.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
the incentives to come here were outrageous.

as for solar I have 31 panels. my house is very efficient on electric. my break even is less than 6 years. after all incentives the system cost me $8000 installed. my total electric bill last year was $340. they are easy to remove but best installed on a newer roof. my front shingles will probably not ever need replacing now. if ever buying, and that is the only way to go, get the system with micro invertors. about 70% less parts than what solar city uses. they lease it to you so you don't get the federal tax credit.
After reading your post solar seems like a good investment in your case. I fork out about $150 avg/month to National Grid so that's about $1800 per yr average. If a solar system's bottom dollar is $8000 then I'd see some ROI within 4-5 years. That's not bad but it seems like you really need to be well read on which type of system to install or your ROI is SOL.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
After reading your post solar seems like a good investment in your case. I fork out about $150 avg/month to National Grid so that's about $1800 per yr average. If a solar system's bottom dollar is $8000 then I'd see some ROI within 4-5 years. That's not bad but it seems like you really need to be well read on which type of system to install or your ROI is SOL.
took me 2 years to sign up. now things are different from then. if you ever decide to explore hit me up I can help you out.

·
Registered
489 Posts
This is complete bull**** and outrageous. It should never ever be allowed. This is cronyism at its finest, not free market or capitalism. Your solar energy crap is not sustainable or reliable if from the get go you need taxpayers money to fund it. It is by definition not sustainable if it cannot exists on its own. this is a parasite model.

Want to start a business here? Pony up or go to a ****ing bank and take a loan like the rest of us. Cuomo has no moral right to force us pay for their business.
Scumbags.
Hey, I'm with you... BUT.... What if he gave this exact deal to, say, Glock to lure them out of Georgia?

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
Chris,

I saw this online on WGRZ's site over the weekend.... Homeowners weigh in: are solar panels worth it? | wivb.com

Seems to triangulate with what bgbytoys says. Seems like beaucoup incentives. However I would assume that the incentives won't go on forever. Something I'm interested in as well.

·
Registered
489 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts