New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those of you that have gone thru the process I have a few questions:

1- Where did you have you're fingerprinting done with the card that is included in the application

2-Is the pre enrollment still necessary; instructions mention mailing in hard copy of fingerprint card along with tracking number and barcode.

3-Can an NRA instructor administer the "Basic Pistol Course"? If not where did you folks take the course. There is a requirement for live fire correct?

·
Registered
4 Posts
So I did it

I had the fingerprint card by a mobile notary in Brooklyn NY you can try calling notaries In your area for this allot of them do fingerprints

I'm not sure about the pre-enrollment I emailed someone in Connecticut's office and they sent me the application in the mail from my first email I had it in less than a week

As far as the NRA basic course yes any NRA instructor should be able to do that for you

·
Registered
4 Posts
[email protected] this was the email address and this was the content

Hello my name is ---------- I frequent the state of connecticut every once in a while
I currently have a carry permit from my home state of new York and I want to get one to carry when I come to CT the website was a bit confusing on how I go about doing that

Same day they replied that a packet will be mailed to me

·
Registered
166 Posts
The CT process is pretty straight forward...you need the NRA course certificate including live fire, photo and the fingerprint card, along with the other paperwork. I included a cover letter with my application and several reference letters. The finger print cards must be done correctly or they will be rejected...my local sheriff's office did them and I was asked to have them redone. I went to a CT State Police barracks and had them do the job [small fee]...no problem after that. Despite what some may say, CT is basically a 'shall issue' state as long as your stuff is in order. Hope that helps...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The CT process is pretty straight forward...you need the NRA course certificate including live fire, photo and the fingerprint card, along with the other paperwork. I included a cover letter with my application and several reference letters. The finger print cards must be done correctly or they will be rejected...my local sheriff's office did them and I was asked to have them redone. I went to a CT State Police barracks and had them do the job [small fee]...no problem after that. Despite what some may say, CT is basically a 'shall issue' state as long as your stuff is in order. Hope that helps...
I had the state police do my prints for me. The officer took her time and was very particular about capturing the prints correctly; hopefully I won't need to have them redone. A call to CT and they told me to submit the preenrolment and pay the fee ($70). I believe its for the finger print processing and or background check??. Last but not least the guys at the local range put me in touch with an NRA instructor who administered the basic course and provided me with a certificate. Let's see how long it takes.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm licensed in CT and the process was pretty straight forward. I only got licensed for there because I am up there a fair amount and it lets me carry/ use their ranges etc.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm licensed in CT and the process was pretty straight forward. I only got licensed for there because I am up there a fair amount and it lets me carry/ use their ranges etc.
They sent my application back to me in the mail with a cover letter stating I needed to provide a certified copy of birth certificate OR US passport. I sent them a copy of the inside of my passport with the pertinent info and yet they sent my application and all the other documents back to me. What gives?

·
Registered
21 Posts
They sent my application back to me in the mail with a cover letter stating I needed to provide a certified copy of birth certificate OR US passport. I sent them a copy of the inside of my passport with the pertinent info and yet they sent my application and all the other documents back to me. What gives?
Weird I sent a color copy of my US passport and had no issue.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Weird I sent a color copy of my US passport and had no issue.
I called them today and was told that the lady that handled non resident permit application was out office and would be back tomorrow. I'll call them again on Tuesday and hopefully get it straightend out. Did you send them just a copy of the inside pages with the information and or the outside of the passport?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I called them today and was told that the lady that handled non resident permit application was out office and would be back tomorrow. I'll call them again on Tuesday and hopefully get it straightend out. Did you send them just a copy of the inside pages with the information and or the outside of the passport?
Unless they specified otherwise I would have just sent a color copy of the main two pages with all my info. I know I didn't send a birth certificate.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Can't remember. It was longer than Utah but way shorter than NYC. Maybe a month and a half maybe less than that? It was probably shorter than people who actually live in CT and can't go straight to the state police.
I think I've been waiting about 8 weeks now. Tried calling and the pre recorded message states that they don't provide updates.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think I've been waiting about 8 weeks now. Tried calling and the pre recorded message states that they don't provide updates.
Yeah, it's getting crazy everywhere with wait times - and that was even before the successful SCOTUS decision. I imagine even worse now.

Electronic fingerprinting cuts down tremendously on the overall wait. Once electronic fingerprints are taken, the fingerprint search part is instant regardless of what anybody tries to tell you otherwise. I think it costs like $25 and is well well worth it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, it's getting crazy everywhere with wait times - and that was even before the successful SCOTUS decision. I imagine even worse now.

Electronic fingerprinting cuts down tremendously on the overall wait. Once electronic fingerprints are taken, the fingerprint search part is instant regardless of what anybody tries to tell you otherwise. I think it costs like $25 and is well well worth it.
Emailed them and they responded with the "it takes up to 5 months". Honestly I think they just sit on the applications because it took them 3 months what would typically take 1 week by mail(same day in person) to give me an ammo certificate.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts