New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yea, I know, I've been watching too much "Walking Dead".

But seriously, I have been thinking about picking up a crossbow to add to my arsenal. I think it would be excellent for hunting without alerting nearby scavengers. Same for deffense. If someone or thing comes for your stash and you blast them with a shotgun it will be like a dinner bell for miles.
As long as you don't lose/break your arrows you can train for free and not worry about wasting ammo.

Now I'm not saying forget about guns. I have that area well covered. But if you are in a situation where the crossbow makes sense it would alow you to keep a much lower profile.

What do you guys think? Good idea or should I stop watching TV? :D

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
Yea, I know, I've been watching too much "Walking Dead".

But seriously, I have been thinking about picking up a crossbow to add to my arsenal. I think it would be excellent for hunting without alerting nearby scavengers. Same for deffense. If someone or thing comes for your stash and you blast them with a shotgun it will be like a dinner bell for miles.
As long as you don't lose/break your arrows you can train for free and not worry about wasting ammo.

Now I'm not saying forget about guns. I have that area well covered. But if you are in a situation where the crossbow makes sense it would alow you to keep a much lower profile.

What do you guys think? Good idea or should I stop watching TV? :D
Dinner bell for what?

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
I have both a compound bow and a crossbow. The drawback to both are they need to be shot and maintained on a regular basis or the limbs may become brittle. You will also want to consider having a tube of white lithium grease for lubing the rails and a tube of wax for lubing the strings. You will also want to consider getting a spair string and a vice capable of compressing the limbs so that you can restring it. Arrows, bolts, and broadheads as well as field tips will have to be maintained as well. The nice thing about crossbows and bows in general is that you can shoot targets in your back yard without anyone getting upset and calling the police about it.

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
Because the sound of guns shots would attract people looking to steal from you? Not sure I follow that logic

·
The artist formerly known as jhm8071
5,143 Posts
Good idea, but still stop watching TV :D

It certainly isn't going to hurt to have one. There are advantages and disadvantages when compared to a "regular" compound bow though. Make sure to weigh them out before ruling out a compound. Don't worry about stocking up on too many arrows/bolts (maybe a few dozen). Broadheads will be just as or more important. Think about finding ones that you can re-sharpen, like the NAP Razorcap, or ones with replaceable blades like a lot of Muzzy broadheads.

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
Because the sound of guns shots would attract people looking to steal from you? Not sure I follow that logic
Not a lot of people run toward the sound of gunshots. If a few folks are poking around your stash and you are outnumbered a bow is a way to even out the odds without giving your position away. However you will have to be within 60 yards of them, so if they are more than three a bow may not be the best answer.

·
Registered
687 Posts
But just so everyone understands they are both (compounds, crossbows and many pellet guns) in the classification that requires the 500' distance rule. So if someone does call there could be issues.

·
The artist formerly known as jhm8071
5,143 Posts
There is no need to let people know you have weapons. A gunshot is a sure way to get you noticed. Whether it be people intent on doing you harm, or just the neighbor from 1/2 mile away, you probably don't want them knowing you have weapons, and a way to gather food.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dinner bell for what?
Dinner bell for people who did not feel the need to prepare for whatever type of disaster may happen. If someone is starving and roaming around looking for food then the sound of a gunshot means there is someone around who has resources. And the shot could mean food/meat. They may not run toward the shot blindly but they know where to find you. People risk alot when faced with starvation.

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
But just so everyone understands they are both (compounds, crossbows and many pellet guns) in the classification that requires the 500' distance rule. So if someone does call there could be issues.
Yeah unfortunately if you are not on good terms with your neighbors that could become an issue.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not to de-rail the thread, but does that rule apply to your own dwelling as well? Like if my house was in the middle of nowhere could I sit on my back deck and shoot?

·
Registered
8,557 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
crossbows are some of the best covert weapons

the tac was designed for use by special forces for that reason

a proper setup on a crossbow (hunting setup with a 200lb draw and 17 in power stroke) is almost silent except for the sound of trigger releasing

in a shtf situation there are hundreds of reasons to have one

also consider a cheaper xbow rig like the china 150 models
they are no worse than your average barnett xbow and in some respects much better

if you get a chance buy this one
VINTAGE BARNETT COMMANDO CROSSBOW 175# WITH EXTRA ACCESSORIES | eBay

they are designed to be cocked without cables. it fold in half cocking the xbow
i have 2 of these
one is in original package
one has been sanded and the brass color muted for tactical and hunting purpose

with the 225 limb you can put a 335 grain arrow through 2 inches of solid wood (or completely through a deer or pig)

they cock in about 7 seconds so follow up shoots are easy

also since these are 30 year old xbows most may saw they are a bad idea, i say wrong since the chinesse took up making the exact limb for the cheapo hunting crossbows on ebay in diffrent draw#

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Not to de-rail the thread, but does that rule apply to your own dwelling as well? Like if my house was in the middle of nowhere could I sit on my back deck and shoot?
i have a pellet gun range and a bow range in my basement ( i own building) i sure hope not!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, just had me thinking there for a minute about that 500' rule.
That is a sweet looking crossbow in your link zeroskin. It looks light and I was actually thinking about going with a recurve because they are quieter than compounds.

·
Registered
687 Posts
do I look at this wrong? My wife ia always on me to take my guns to the truck as invisible as I can. She thinks it is a bad idea for anyone to know that there are guns in the house. I am on the other side of the coin I guess. I don't mind that. If a bad guy knows they are there I think he will go elsewhere to break in or what ever. If he wants the guns he will make sure no one is home and then have at the safe. If that happens and no one is there then I say have at it. my family is safe and goal is achieved. I think this applys to a SHTF and today scenario.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
do I look at this wrong? My wife ia always on me to take my guns to the truck as invisible as I can. She thinks it is a bad idea for anyone to know that there are guns in the house. I am on the other side of the coin I guess. I don't mind that. If a bad guy knows they are there I think he will go elsewhere to break in or what ever. If he wants the guns he will make sure no one is home and then have at the safe. If that happens and no one is there then I say have at it. my family is safe and goal is achieved. I think this applys to a SHTF and today scenario.
Look at it like this. The world is in chaos, there is an economic breakdown. Going to the grocery store is not an option because they are empty. You are roaming the streets looking for food because your family is on the virge of starvation and you didn't feel the need to prepare ahead of time. Then, off in the woods you hear a gunshot. You know that if this guy has a gun there is a great chance that he has food.
Do you:
A. Sit there and let your family starve?
B. Wait until Mr shooter is asleep and get his food and possibly weapons?

I know what I would do. This could be a real scenario if the economy colapses. I'm just thinking that if I went into my back yard to kill a deer or something I don't want the whole neighborhood to know about it.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts