New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've never been coyote hunting, but have friends who are experienced at it. They would like a hand dealing with some problem dogs near their farm, and know that I like hunting, and have told them before I'd like to hunt coyote. So I've been invited.

Which gun, what load?
I own a couple 12g shotguns, a .22LR, and a 9mm handgun.
12s seem to lack in range, and .22 seems underpowered, and a handgun seems out of its element. If possible I'd like to keep the dog for the pelt. Sure they're a nuisance and need to be dealt with regardless, but if I can have a fun hunt and make some cash I'm all for that. So... help me?

Lights. Any Tips?
I have a good spotlight, with a red setting. I also have a cheap Rayovac red headlamp, and a Colman flashlight (Just white). I figure I'll use the headlamp to see my sights, while one of us holds the spotlight above the dogs. I've done some reading. What wont spook, but will show em?

I know one of the guys uses a .22, and one a 12. They know how to set up for the hunt better then me, but I don't know what is most effective at downing dogs. Ideally, I'd like an AR15 with 5 rounds of .223 but I cant afford to buy a new gun just for the hunt. I want one anyway... but that's a different topic and I don't think the wife see's another rifle in the budget before next year. Maybe a pistol though... she likes those... err... off topic.

A note on safety. These guys have been doing this for a few years, mostly as needed. I trust them all as smart hunters, and as safe hunters. I'm pretty sure we are hunting a field (or maybe a few fields) with safe directions of fire, and nothing but empty field behind our targets. Were all experienced gun handlers and hunters, I'm the only novice at night hunting, but definitely no novice at night shooting/safety. Lord knows I've been range safety at enough night ranges for Uncle Sam. So please, save me the safety speech and try to focus on helping the hunt.

TL;DR. Coyotes at night tips, and discussion. Post some pics of dogs you've downed if you'd like.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
If they hunt the brush take a shotgun, if they hunt the fields take whatever rifle you like with optics.

It works much better as a multi man operation, one guy spotting and one guy shooting, then you don't need to use a light mount.

I have hunted them a bit, and called them in, but usually can't get my rifle up fast enough before they dart on me, it is tough at night with the lights. I am gonna keep trying though, bound to get one eventually.

·
The artist formerly known as jhm8071
5,143 Posts
Are they fields, or just clearings? If you are shooting 75 yards or less, use a shotgun with a slug. If you're an OK shot, you should be able to down them in that range. Past 75 yards, at night, you're better off finding a rifle.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm pretty sure its fields, not clearings. If I had a rifle I would use one, but all ireally have is a .22LR. My slug gun has a shotgun scope on it... so that could be an option. Will it be hard to see through a scope at night? And will a slug ruin a pelt? I dont really know what constitutes ruined.

I've read #4 buckshot can work wonders, but does that ruin the pelt?

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
CoyoteTLR and Field Light Kit

The above is what I use for lights. Having a dedicated red light, not one that has a red filter is best.

Like what was said above, if in tight brush use the 12g with buck shot. I try to hunt more open fields with woods that butt up to them. I use a 5.56, this year a very lightweight 6.8
Last year I missed one in a tight woods because I had the rifle. Last year I missed an easy 100yd shot with the rifle because I was over excited and yanked the trigger. Night hunting is a totally different ball game than during the day, they come in fast and you can only see their eyes here and there as the dart around brush trees or whatever.

This year I will be using a head mounted light for my scanning light, its just easier.
coyote light, The Coyote Light Store

The hardest thing about yote hunting to me is 1. Getting them to come in 2. Not letting my heart pop out of my chest when they do and miss the shot.

Stay calm, stay still and play the wind, they will come.

Going out tonight, wish me luck :)

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
They are Crafty bastards!

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
CoyoteTLR and Field Light Kit

The above is what I use for lights. Having a dedicated red light, not one that has a red filter is best.

Like what was said above, if in tight brush use the 12g with buck shot. I try to hunt more open fields with woods that butt up to them. I use a 5.56, this year a very lightweight 6.8
Last year I missed one in a tight woods because I had the rifle. Last year I missed an easy 100yd shot with the rifle because I was over excited and yanked the trigger. Night hunting is a totally different ball game than during the day, they come in fast and you can only see their eyes here and there as the dart around brush trees or whatever.

This year I will be using a head mounted light for my scanning light, its just easier.
coyote light, The Coyote Light Store

The hardest thing about yote hunting to me is 1. Getting them to come in 2. Not letting my heart pop out of my chest when they do and miss the shot.

Stay calm, stay still and play the wind, they will come.

Going out tonight, wish me luck :)
Good luck man! Let me know how you make out. I'm going out either tonight or tomorrow night I think. I have an LED Qbeam that has a red LED setting. I'm hoping that works as a light, but were going to definitly need a spotter and a shooter... the thing is heavy.

So I think im going to bring the 12 and .22 we'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
I have friends who are hardcore coyote hunters and they use a 204 ruger and they go when the moon is almost full-full so you only need the light to shoot. No need to lead with that round.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I have an Optronic's that mounts on a 1" scope with a remote battery pack and a switch thet mounts on the gun. Works well, says 350 yds. but I can't see them at that distance with the red lens cover flipped down. Light beam is adjustable and they are less than 54.00. No complaint from customers I have sold them too either.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I have friends who are hardcore coyote hunters and they use a 204 ruger and they go when the moon is almost full-full so you only need the light to shoot. No need to lead with that round.
This works when there is snow on the ground but not so good when there isnt. With a red light you can see them coming from further away, a dim red scanning light makes their eyes turn into reflectors from a couple hundred yards away.

I had no luck the other night. They were howling up a storm but wouldnt come in. Think they were laughing at me.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Pattern your gun with buckshot.

Worry about getting one before you worry about the pelt. I for one don't think I would want to try and take a coyote with a slug gun. I've never had one that I felt was precise enough for a coyote.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
They are Crafty bastards!
Yes they are....oh you're still talking coyotes. I thought we'd moved on to politicians. My bad.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts