New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at my favorite local a squirrel hunting spot this morning. The forest in Hemlock Ridge is very dense. On several occasions, including today I have been visited by deer foraging for food. They often get very close. Today I was visited by an Eastern Coyote. The coyote walked in to about 30 yards before it spotted me. It didn't bolt away. It actually sat down and looked me over. I'm wondering if it was hoping I was dead and an easy meal. I looked it over in my scope pretty well. It never became aggressive. After a long 5 minutes t walked off.

I was thinking, The coyote could gave been easily rabid. I'm sure this one was healthy. I've seen tracks in Hemlock a ridge, but I've never seen one there in the flesh.

I'm wondering if my 17HMR is enough to put it down if I had to. Should I carry a small shotgun as back-up? A .410 with 000 buck should make quick work of a Coyote at close range.

·
Banned
5,970 Posts
You should of killed it. Only good yote is a dead yote. 17 would of drppped it on the spot with a proper hit

·
Registered
498 Posts
I was told just yesterday that the guy I was talking to uses a 17HMR for yotes. I have no first hand knowledge.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Problem with the .17 HMR is that those same projectiles suited for squirrel may blow up and fail to penetrate deeply enough on a coyote. .223 is the most popular choice for yotes, though even a .22 hornet would be fine. You have a carry permit? Any defensive pistol caliber will drop a coyote too.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I was loaded with 20 gr FMJ, it is meant to reduce meat damage by not blowing up. They are a couple of videos on YouTube of a guy shooting these through a Kevlar vest.

They look like tiny little deer rounds.

I sold all my handguns when I left Vermont. I work in the city, so I don't have any plans to get a carry permit. One day, I will get a pistol for squirrel hunting, 22 of course.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Having a coyote stop and watch you isn't normal. Those dogs even know to look for tree stands...we get some big ones up here along the Canadian border..

Attachments

·
Registered
809 Posts
Usually if your hunting coyotes and they sit and watch you it's time to shoot because they are trying to figure things out and won't be around much longer

·
Registered
687 Posts
Soft points would work fine.

side note. Coyote isn't open 365?;)

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
IMO, I would have dropped him right there. If they are sitting there checking you out it tells me they are considering the risk involved in a meal. I have been stalked by yotes a few times, by stalked I mean followed in ever closing circles. The last time one way at a dead run towards me from behind. 3" Bereneki slug showed him where to stop. I have two small dogs I walk at midnight or so for the last time for the night and get yotes in my yard looking to take them for a meal. One night there was one by my wife's car sneaking around with a second at the end on the driveway making its way up. I haven't had to shoot one at night yet because I have been able to chaise them off, I have a couple neighbors who may raise in issue if I take a shot. But if the time comes I'll deal with the police if I have to. Fox have also been a problem here, almost lost one dog last year.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That is certainly something to think about. Like I said, maybe he was hoping I was already dead. Not sure how feel about being bumped down the food chain right here in a Ulster County. Still, I wonder if it'll be a bear next time.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.