New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

· Registered
8,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now something for the Stupid file. I am in Sam's Club buying stuff I need for the house with my Son. We get up to the beer on the belt, now mind you I have 36 rolls of toilet paper frozen food and a whole host of other things besides the beer. So the cashier says, "I'll need to see some ID" so I start to pull my ID out and he says "not from you from him" pointing right at My son. I said, "why do you need to see my Son's ID he is not 21 nor is he buying the stuff?" Then the cashier's manager comes over and says " it is policy". I should have said," take your policy and everything he just rung up and shove it."Are the police going to go to Sam's Club and charge them with selling to a minor because I have both minors and beer in my house? The USA is FUBAR.

· Registered
8,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I am 48 years old and couldn't buy a case of beer.

· Registered
189 Posts
A lot of stores (especially grocery stores) have policies in place that if someone in a group is buying alcohol everyone in that group must show ID. They don't know he's your son and they don't know that you aren't buying him the beer. It's part of their due diligence to prevent them from getting in trouble for supplying alcohol to minors.

· Registered
8,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A lot of stores (especially grocery stores) have policies in place that if someone in a group is buying alcohol everyone in that group must show ID. They don't know he's your son and they don't know that you aren't buying him the beer. It's part of their due diligence to prevent them from getting in trouble for supplying alcohol to minors.
Even after we showed him ID I still couldn't buy it because he was 20.

· Registered
5,426 Posts
Happened to me while buying spray paint one time at walmart. I was 19, painting some interior panels on my car (it actually turned out good for a spray job lol) and I got some spray paint. We ring it up and she says "May I see your ID" and I hand it to her. She looks at it and then just sits there, staring at me. So I'm kinda confused and I ask "There some kinda problem." And she says shes waiting for my girlfriends ID. I tell her she didn't bring it cuz she wasn't driving. She isn't buying the spray paint anyway and she is only 17. She tells me she can't sell it to me. So I ask "Oh ok, so if a lady comes through here with some beer and a 5 year old you gonna card the kid too?" She takes the paint and puts it behind the counter and tells me to move along.

So I did, I handed the keys to my girlfriend and had her go wait in the car, went and got more spray paint and rang out at the sporting goods desk. I then made sure to walk to her end of the store, make eye contact with that dumb bitch, raise my bag of spray paint and flip her what felt like the most pronounced and glaring middle finger I have ever given anyone. Then I left. I hate walmart but unfortunately its a good source of food.

· Registered
5,426 Posts
Put yourself in the manager's shoes: would you take the risk of heavy fines in case this had been a police sting (which they do often)?
Unless they also card 5 year olds its a dumb policy to me.

· Registered
695 Posts
go back with your son and fill up three carts, just throw all kinds of stuff in them, mountains of crap. send it all through the cashier and the last item a six pack of cheap beer. Let them go through the ID crap again and then say well, if that's the policy then keep the rest and walk out.

· Registered
8,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah something has got to give. My sone was getting a little upset with the stupidness and started ranting about it being horse crap. I told him to calm down and I told the manage I guess I will never buy alcohol here again. I may go down there tomorrow and speak to the HMFIC and tell him how stupid their policy is.

· Registered
8,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Put yourself in the manager's shoes: would you take the risk of heavy fines in case this had been a police sting (which they do often)?
Should I have left him in the car to go grocery shopping? It is a dumb policy. I could understand it if we were not related. Besides I was paying by debit card so the store was able to prove they selling items to me not anyone else.

· Registered
8,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The stupid thing is I can buy a gun or pistol ammo and nobody don't ask to see his ID.

· Registered
5,426 Posts
Should I have left him in the car to go grocery shopping? It is a dumb policy. I could understand it if we were not related. Besides I was paying by debit card so the store was able to prove they selling items to me not anyone else.
Shoulda let him load up the car quick while you grabbed another case, checked out at a fast lane register, and made sure to swing by and tell the cashier that he needs a new job on your way out.

· Registered
5,426 Posts
The stupid thing is I can buy a gun or pistol ammo and nobody don't ask to see his ID.
Cuz underage drinking might happen but there are no 20 year olds with unregistered pistols, no no sir that would be a felony!

· Registered
189 Posts
Unless they also card 5 year olds its a dumb policy to me.
How many 5-year olds do you know with ID?

It's not that the policy is stupid, it's that the law (and penalties) that are stupid. This is exactly the type of policy I'd expect stores to enact when we set our drinking age to literally the highest in the world (where drinking is legal) and then hand out penalties disproportionate to the "crime" of people supply minors, knowingly or not, with alcohol.

Other countries with a 21 year old drinking age include Indonesia, Kazakhstan, and Saudi Arabia.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.