New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

· Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went today and spent $495 on books. On my way home I stopped by my local shop where they are keeping my XD40 SC hostage until my permit is approved and got my first close look at the XDS. Price tag said $569.99 and it made my heart sink to imagine how much more fun I would have with that then a pile of books. Don't get me wrong I am very happy to have another chance at getting my degree, but man does that little .45 look cool. On the bright side the guy at the gun shop told me if I wanted to I could swap the XD40 for the XDS45 and get the full purchase price to transfer so long as I don't officially take posession of the XD40, but I think I'll be happier with the 9+1 and cheaper ammo of the 40.

· Registered
8,342 Posts
I went today and spent $495 on books. On my way home I stopped by my local shop where they are keeping my XD40 SC hostage until my permit is approved and got my first close look at the XDS. Price tag said $569.99 and it made my heart sink to imagine how much more fun I would have with that then a pile of books. Don't get me wrong I am very happy to have another chance at getting my degree, but man does that little .45 look cool. On the bright side the guy at the gun shop told me if I wanted to I could swap the XD40 for the XDS45 and get the full purchase price to transfer so long as I don't officially take posession of the XD40, but I think I'll be happier with the 9+1 and cheaper ammo of the 40.
I just paid my village taxes and I get to pay the school taxes next month. I don't even want to think of all the fun I could have with that money! Oh and I don't have kids so school taxes hurt even more. I get to pay my college loans every month but at least I got a job out of the degree.

· The artist formerly known as jhm8071
5,143 Posts
Heh, I could average buying a gun a month if I didn't have those pesky student loans to pay back. Textbooks are just the beginning.

· Registered
2,028 Posts
My first year I spent $1500 on textbooks.
Second and third year about $800 each.
Now on my fourth and final year... and I estimate it being about $900.

$4000 down the drain, in my opinion. I mean most of the classes never used the textbooks and if they do use them, they use them once or twice. Its a shame, because even if you have to use them once at some point during the year, you still have to shell out the money for them.

Not to mention textbooks are a giant scam. For example:
2010 year Science book Edition 3 version 1.4
2011 year Science book Edition 3, version 1.5
Both books, essentially the same, except the homework problems have changed and so have the outline and cover design of the book.

This means.... less resale value and if you wanted to buy a used book, you might as well forget that because there is a new version out that you are almost forced to get.

· Registered
8,557 Posts
You can rent books now, even get them downloaded to your iPad cheaper.

I got my degree cheap, only had to spend 20 years in the Army for it.

· Registered
2,028 Posts
You can rent books now, even get them downloaded to your iPad cheaper.

I got my degree cheap, only had to spend 20 years in the Army for it.
I have looked into rentals from different places and they don't work for me personally. My college has weird term schedule (3 terms) so I would have to rent the book 2x in order to keep it for the required time... which isn't really too cost effective.

· Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I rented a lot of my books the last 4 semesters, but this semester I started a program in which Im going to be using a handful of hte same books for the next 2 years so buying works out better than renting for 4 semesters.

· Registered
3,441 Posts
My first year I spent $1500 on textbooks.
Second and third year about $800 each.
Now on my fourth and final year... and I estimate it being about $900.

$4000 down the drain, in my opinion. I mean most of the classes never used the textbooks and if they do use them, they use them once or twice. Its a shame, because even if you have to use them once at some point during the year, you still have to shell out the money for them.

Not to mention textbooks are a giant scam. For example:
2010 year Science book Edition 3 version 1.4
2011 year Science book Edition 3, version 1.5
Both books, essentially the same, except the homework problems have changed and so have the outline and cover design of the book.

This means.... less resale value and if you wanted to buy a used book, you might as well forget that because there is a new version out that you are almost forced to get.
Yes, that is a bunch of BS, my son is in a nursing program and a girl in our apt bldg had some books from last year, can't use them, did I say BS?

· Registered
4,955 Posts
You guys complain about tuition and books now, but imagine how bad it could be in 15-20 years (when my kids are applying to college). Though I bet books will be almost entirely replaced by digital devices such as iPads or Kindles, perhaps holographic by then.

Books were $400-$500 each semester when I was in undergrad and grad school 1997-2003. I worked each Summer and saved up to pay for my books, my parents helped me out with some of my tuition (had a good scholarship also) and I worked as a RA which means housing was free, but I had to work for it. I would always sell back my books at the end of the semester, but the credit I got for them was awful...considering a new book would cost $100 new and I'd get like $20 for it used. It was still better than nothing but not by much. And for some reason there were rarely if ever any used books for sale, seems like I was always stuck buying new ones. Now I pay about $4500 in school taxes each year, and my kids won't be in school for 2-3 years. Then again WNY has some of the highest school and property taxes in the entire US.

· Registered
859 Posts
Its worth it in the end. I graduated from RIT this year and had companies pounding on my door because of my skills and abilities I learned in school as well as my work ethics. Most books are available online if you know where to look too. Your professors wont let you use a previous edition?

· Registered
8,342 Posts
I assume you attended public school since you can read and write, now it's time to repay the state for that education.
I have no issue paying school taxes. I should not have to pay the same amount as someone with five kids in school though.

· Registered
8,342 Posts
Its worth it in the end. I graduated from RIT this year and had companies pounding on my door because of my skills and abilities I learned in school as well as my work ethics. Most books are available online if you know where to look too. Your professors wont let you use a previous edition?
Would those online books be considered legal to download?

· Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I bought all but one of my books used so that saved a bunch, as far as online goes I've tried and I do much better navigating a solid book then online textbooks, just the way I learn and retain info.

· Registered
4,955 Posts
Dude im not complaining about anything i work full time all year while taking 13+ credits a semester if you think that because im in school i dont pay property taxes ur an idiot.
I don't think anyone made that assumption. The point was that costs only go up from there, but a college degree will certainly help you in the job market so it does pay off. The cost of books will seem meager when you look back years from now.

· Registered
5 Posts
Good for you on going to school! I recently graduated in May with my MBA from SUNY Empire State College and just got my final repayment bill in the mail to the tune of $822 per month!! I'm going to try to extend the loan repayment so that amount will hopefully come down.

I highlighted and wrote all over my books and have a hard time reading off of a screen so renting them our buying the ebook wouldn't work for me either.

I'd like to "graduate" from my Walther P22 to something a bigger but until I know what the final monthly payment will be I'll just keep saving my pennies. Good luck to you this semester!!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.