New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you outside the Buffalo, NY (or WNY) area who may be unfamiliar with this case, I'll summarize it for you...

- "Dr." Corasanti decided to knock back a few whiskeys then hit the road in his BMW
- On the way back to his mansion in Amherst, NY, Corasanti runs down an 18-yr old girl, sending her flying some 100 odd feet to her death
- Corasanti blows the accident scene and continues home to his McMansion
- Corasanti arrives home, calls up his lawyer, sends his wife to the scene of the accident, mutters out incoherent BS to one of his neighbors
- Amherst police arrest Corasanti a few hours later, a blood test reveals his BAC was 0.10 5 hours after the incident
- The front of Corasanti's BMW is smashed in, he claims he didn't even know he hit anything
- The prosecution stacks up evidence a mile high, yet the Jurors acquit Corasanti of all major charges - these charges include vehicular manslaughter, criminally negligent manslaughter, leaving the scene of a fatal, DWI, and tampering with evidence.

Corasanti not guilty on all major counts | WIVB.com

Sorry, but this case is a disgrace to the justice system. I'm not saying much beyond that for now. Discuss...

·
Registered
725 Posts
it's not your guilt or innocence that counts, it's how good a lawyer you can afford

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
I was on a murder trial jury and got to see first hand want a cluster our justice system is. I still think it's great in principal but there are some things that I see and am baffled by.

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
I am surprised he was still found guilty of DWI if the summation above is accurate because he could of easily said he drank when he got home and they couldnt of proven he was drunk while driving.
If he admitted to driving the car and even "not realizing" he hit anything then he should still be guilty because he hit the woman.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This case was HUGE in the Buffalo, NY area. Every local news station cut into prime time programming when the verdict hit the Court. Also, it was proven that Corasanti was texting at about the time of the incident. I'm sure Dr. D0uchebag is in for a huge wrongful death lawsuit, but he should be behind bars. There's no excuse for an acquittal here, not when the evidence pile was stacked as high as Mt. Everest. Jury of peers? More like jury of jackasses.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Did he say he didn't know he hit something? Cause that's BS! Any BMW from 1990 & up, will light the dash up like a x-mas tree,'from pot holes to very small animal. After seeing the damage to that car, there is no way the dash lights didn't let him know. POSMF hope he rots in hell.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
System doesn't always work, he will loose his ass in a civil suit tho.
We can certainly hope. The family has already filed a civil suit, it was filed before the criminal trial began almost a month ago. Something tells me however that he has probably already funneled his wealth into offshore accounts. The Rice family can go after his house and some other assets but the bulk of his wealth is likely already out of reach.

The jury was hung on one of the felony DWI charges, so the prosecutor will likely re-try him on that charge. This a-hole gets to keep his medical license, unless, of course, he's convicted of a felony. I can *sort of* understand a jury having a tough time with manslaughter charges, but how could they let him walk on the "leaving the scene of a fatal" charge? Only an amoral d0uche would continue driving after hitting something and that's where this situation becomes a crime. Hell, I hit a mallard duck a couple of years ago on the way to work and pulled over to make sure it wasn't suffering (I'll admit the thought of roast duck crossed my mind as well, but the duck wasn't salvageable).

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
jesus. what did the defense argue to win that outcome. Did the police **** up and have evidence thrown out

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
What's truly baffling is that Corasanti admitted leaving the scene among other things, yet no conviction. No evidence was thrown out as far as I'm aware.

Put it this way, if you drink and kill someone with a gun or knife (I don't care what the circumstances, self defense, stand your ground, whatever), a murder or manslaughter conviction might as well be guaranteed. Drink and kill someone with your car...it's an accident????

Cases like this have huge potential to set a bad precedent. Now leaving the scene seems like the right thing to do. Play dumb, "I had no idea I hit anything", and this out-of-control concept of what is actually "reasonable doubt" in our society equates to walking away clean. The system is fubar'd.

·
Banned
5,970 Posts
What's truly baffling is that Corasanti admitted leaving the scene among other things, yet no conviction. No evidence was thrown out as far as I'm aware.

Put it this way, if you drink and kill someone with a gun or knife (I don't care what the circumstances, self defense, stand your ground, whatever), a murder or manslaughter conviction might as well be guaranteed. Drink and kill someone with your car...it's an accident????

Cases like this have huge potential to set a bad precedent. Now leaving the scene seems like the right thing to do. Play dumb, "I had no idea I hit anything", and this out-of-control concept of what is actually "reasonable doubt" in our society equates to walking away clean. The system is fubar'd.
if you or I leave the scene we're fubar'ed, when your a million dollar man, not so much.

·
Registered
672 Posts
It was just 1 meaningless young life snuffed out by a pompous, amoral piece of $hit. Why ruin his party, right?

I tend to reject calling this an "accident" because his actions and irresponsibility were the key factors that enabled this tragedy. He had a prior DWI, was a mentally capable adult when the night began and therefore understood the risk he was taking when he began drinking knowing he would be driving home. There was nothing UNFORESEEN about this event as the risk was well known. He was simply arrogant & amoral enough to not give a fcuk about the people he shared the road with that night (and I'm sure many other nights he managed to not hit anybody).

Accident - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"An accident or mishap is an UNFORESEEN and unplanned event or circumstance, often with lack of intention or necessity. It usually implies a generally negative outcome which may have been avoided or prevented had circumstances leading up to the accident been recognized, and acted upon, prior to its occurrence."

NOTE: "may have been avoided or prevented had circumstances leading up to the accident been recognized"

Again, he didn't start the night drunk or with brain damage. He knew full well the risk he was taking, he just thought he was un-touchable and sadly our court system proved him to be right. This was not an accident, it was an act of arrogance that led to the death of an innocent, by a man that was anything but innocent. Mind blown that there are people defending & sympathizing with this amoral killer.

Added---

"Wow that pothole was kinda big. Guess I better get home and call my lawyer errr I mean mechanic first thing. Meh...I think I'll just shoot him a text since I'm so good at it."

This was a friggin big & solid BMW no less, not a Kia (no offense to Kia owners).

·
Registered
625 Posts
This guy is a major POS the system sucks how can they find him guilty of DWI and not manslaughter last i knew it is a mandatory if found DWI and killing someone ????? WTF is wrong here RIP little lady he will get his in the Karma to come we hope

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
hopefully one of her family members takes care of him
As much as this d-bag deserves a high-speed lead injection, i really do not want any more of her family to suffer. You know damn well that they'll be crucified in court if they should so much as throw dirty language at this piece of excrement.

i hope they win the civil suit, for whatever consolation that will give them (most likely none).

And, if one of them should happen to go temporarily insane, I would like to be picked for the jury.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Sad ending to a horrific story. It is sad we have so many liberal judges, not that he had anything to do with the outcome of this case (good thing or my opinion of them would have gotten even worse) but we citizens have the right to a jury or waive that right, depending on the circumstances. I don't see how any judge would have found him not guilty so his lawyers were smart and had a jury trial. Lets face it. Some people are stupid, maybe they didn't understand the charges? I am sure nobody would want an innocent person go to jail but there does not seem to be any doubt that he did not commit this act. Intentional no, irresponsible, yes. I am sure this guy expects to be called doctor, because he has earned that label, so yes, he SHOULD be held to a higher standard, especially in this situation. I would stand by his office door and bitch slap anyone who would continue to use this POS for a doctor.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts