New York Firearms Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gonna tell this story now...leaving some details out because of ongoing proceedings.

Last Friday (8/9/13) I was my yard building a swing set for my 3 year old boy when two men came out of the dark and drew guns on me from 10 feet away. This story will shock you.

I live in Albany county in an affluent suburb. On Friday eve I was in my side yard working on the play set. It's one of those modern sets that are way over elaborate and complicated. It was about 9:15, I had been working for about 3-4 hours and was finishing a rockwall while wearing a headlamp. Not just any headlamp, but a 196 Lumens lamp which illuminated my entire body, worksite and a 8.5 x 11 inch instruction booklet I was holding at the time. If you've ever built one of these play sets you know how much time you spend with the instruction booklet.

Suddenly, with no warning, notice or introduction whatsoever, two men simultaneously drew guns and blinding lights and began screaming "get on the ground, get on the ****ing ground." I panicked, not knowing who it was or why guns were pointed at my head and chest. For reasons you'll see later, I thought I was being attacked by armed criminals and was in the last horrifying moments of my life. The thought of my little boy growing up without daddy exploded into my head. I took 2 steps towards the gunman and dove onto the ground. I waited for bullets to tear through me. I had tunnel vision, nearly defecated and wanted it to be over.

My poor wife, sitting a few feet away inside an open window came running outside in a panic...she was screaming and making noises I never want to hear again. She's 7 months pregnant. I won't talk about her anymore suffice it to say neither she or I will ever forget this horrifying experience.

When she ran out these two cowboys realized I was an innocent homeowner and they had just threatened to kill a guy building a swing set in his yard. My side yard is 70 feet wide by 180 feet long. These idiots parked at the street and stalked me over the length of my yard. Zero obstructions only mowed grass between them and me. I never heard them or saw them until they were on top of me. They presumably, unless they stalked me with eyes closed, watched me staring like an idiot at my instruction booklet the entire time they approached.

About me...I own a law firm in Albany...I'm an attorney. Unfortunately, like any good attorney, I've made some enemies. It happens. I thought I had been caught unarmed in my yard by some thug and was going to be executed. My poor family, I've never felt so helpless.

These officers will pay for this. Craig Apple called me with a mea culpa, and the internal investigator on the case apologized, said " this should never have happened". Ya think? Oh, by the way, these cowboys were investigating a property damage car accident 1.5 miles from my house when they opted for potentially deadly force. More on that later.

i wouldn't wish what happened to me on my worst enemy. I was completely helpless and at the mercy of maniac cowboys with guns. Never, ever again.

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
Holy crap! I'm SOOOO glad that things didn't go the wrong way. Clearly the yahoo's involved will have some explaining to do, hopefully before a judge.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I'm glad you came out physically unharmed. I feel fir you and your family this should have never happened. Get'em for all they're worth!

·
Registered
8,547 Posts
No one is immune from insanity or stupidity. Now that you told us about this, please let us know what happens when you can talk about. I have some half concern about some yahoo pulling this on me.

·
I kill deer... and I like it
1,336 Posts
Not sure what to say. Glad you made it out alive man.

·
Registered
298 Posts
dumb is dumb, just because they have a badge they think they are all ways right. but sadly it just makes them dumb and dangerous

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
I am glad you and your family are ok. That is just insane and I agree go after them for everything you can because that way others will think twice before doing something like that again.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
I hope you get a huge settlement out of it, and those two cops are canned and charged with crimes. What a f*** up of epic proportions. What concerns me is that if you had been armed, you probably wouldn't have been able to post this for us to read. Interested to learn more as you're able to supply some details once things settle down. I have 2 young boys and a wife who is due to deliver any day now. I went through a swing set build last year (I'll never do it again!) and can't imagine what it would've been like to go through that situation. Glad that you and your family are safe.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
I am shocked.

j/k

·
Banned
2,647 Posts
You should get local TV involved, humiliate and expose them, send your story to Foxnews and Infowars. They should be fired and prosecuted for their crimes. Glad you and your family are ok, hope a big settlement comes your way by Christmas time.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Hey everyone, where is the "But there could have been other circumstances! We won't know unless we are there!" crowd? You all knew so much when it was EVERY OTHER SITUATION, do you think NOW that maybe this state is getting a few too many trigger happy Cops and not enough discipline dished out to them?

Damaged car 1.5 miles away means jump a guy in his backyard with guns drawn......yea.....makes sense......

Sounds like you are runner up for the next guy to win 15K from yet another dumb decision to draw on a citizen, I hope you ram your legal foot so far up their ass you can wiggle your toes and make them gag up cash at your command.

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Holy crap! That is one hell of a story. Keep us posted on how the lawsuit progresses. Those jackasses better have the sh!t kicked out of them.

·
Formerly SRV1
4,720 Posts
Hey everyone, where is the "But there could have been other circumstances! We won't know unless we are there!" crowd? You all knew so much when it was EVERY OTHER SITUATION, do you think NOW that maybe this state is getting a few too many trigger happy Cops and not enough discipline dished out to them?

Damaged car 1.5 miles away means jump a guy in his backyard with guns drawn......yea.....makes sense......

Sounds like you are runner up for the next guy to win 15K from yet another dumb decision to draw on a citizen, I hope you ram your legal foot so far up their ass you can wiggle your toes and make them gag up cash at your command.
When it happens to a member, we tend to believe them because they were their first hand. If this was a news story, then we would question it since none of us were there. To me it sounds like a rookie cop who made a bad judgement call. Hope he wins some money and spends it on firearm self defense classes for his family.

James

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.