New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.22LR LETHALITY - 300 Yard Ballistics Test - YouTube

Thought this video was pretty cool, I had no doubt a .22 was lethal, however this video impressed me with just HOW lethal it was at that range. I have heard people say a .22 couldn't kill them if they were shot by it, shows how much they know.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
great video ! I've known for years how lethal the .22 is. I've killed dozens of small game over the last 35+ years.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
great video ! I've known for years how lethal the .22 is. I've killed dozens of small game over the last 35+ years.
O I have known that it is lethal at long ranges too, it says right on the box deadly up to 1.5 miles, but at 300 yards and still did enough damage to take down a deer, it's pretty darn impressive, they were shooting loads a bit less then the standard high velocity rounds too, I bet mini magnums out of the 22LR can pack ALOT more of a punch then I thought.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
O I have known that it is lethal at long ranges too, it says right on the box deadly up to 1.5 miles, but at 300 yards and still did enough damage to take down a deer, it's pretty darn impressive, they were shooting loads a bit less then the standard high velocity rounds too, I bet mini magnums out of the 22LR can pack ALOT more of a punch then I thought.
I agree. Some pretty impressive results for a 40grn./ 1400 fps bullet at 300yrds.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Makes me wonder what the results would be with a 40grn. hyper velocity bullet.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
now imagine these rounds:

Ammunition To Go : 100rds - 22LR Remington Yellow Jacket 33gr. Hollow Point Ammo [1700] - $7.95

Ammunition To Go : 50rds - .22LR CCI Stinger 32gr. Hyper Velocity Hollow Point Ammo [0050] - $5.95

bit of a lighter bullet but I bet they can reach out and slap you at 350-400 yards with the energy the shots in the video did at 300. Especially the second link 1640FPS is no joke.

Also @ Meke - did you notice them in the field? I had to wonder if they just shot over the cows heads lol.

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
I'm still skeptical. If what I'm hearing in the video is the gunshot before it hits the target, he was MUCH closer than he stated. I know it's almost a full second before I hear an impact at 194yds. It just doesn't seem right. I'm one of those that doesn't believe it unless I see it for myself.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm still skeptical. If what I'm hearing in the video is the gunshot before it hits the target, he was MUCH closer than he stated. I know it's almost a full second before I hear an impact at 194yds. It just doesn't seem right. I'm one of those that doesn't believe it unless I see it for myself.
Seems to be enough of a delay there for me, 1400 FPS is about 450 yards in one second, I know the bullet decelerates but I think at 300 yards the delay was about where it should be.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
now imagine these rounds:

Ammunition To Go : 100rds - 22LR Remington Yellow Jacket 33gr. Hollow Point Ammo [1700] - $7.95

Ammunition To Go : 50rds - .22LR CCI Stinger 32gr. Hyper Velocity Hollow Point Ammo [0050] - $5.95

bit of a lighter bullet but I bet they can reach out and slap you at 350-400 yards with the energy the shots in the video did at 300. Especially the second link 1640FPS is no joke.

Also @ Meke - did you notice them in the field? I had to wonder if they just shot over the cows heads lol.
Yes. the lighter you get the worse is gets. they are slow ballistically. In other words you can start faster and end up slower same principal as
any other rounds.
That roast look ok to me.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
22LR can be lethal at many ranges no doubt so like any firearm needs to be treated with a lot of respect. Also it is a great survival round.

The video seems to prove one fact very clearly: you can poke a chuck roast at 300 yards.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
In the video there was a refrence to some testing using frozen turkeys. I'd be interested in seeing those results. Think I'll do a search for it.

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
I think this is because the camera it set up closer to the target.

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
In the video there was a refrence to some testing using frozen turkeys. I'd be interested in seeing those results. Think I'll do a search for it.
You'll probably come up with Mythbusters and them firing frozen turkeys into the cockpit windows of an airplane!! LOL

1 - 17 of 17 Posts