New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NYS requires pistol permit applications to be processed within 6 months pursuant to NY PENAL LAW § 400.00, which already seems like it should unconstitutional because it's so long, but in Westchester they make you wait a full year to even turn in your application, so that process is 18 months total, which is beyond ludicrous for something that should take 30-45 days at most. Imagine you went to register to vote for an election and they said sure, come back in 18 months and you can vote....for whatconstitutional right would the government ever make you wait 18 months? Except for the right to bear arms. Or you went for you driver's license and they said come back in a year and a half...

I can do it pro se but if there is any 2a attorney that would like to join me pro bono would be great, I'm an attorney myself but not a litigator by trade...

·
Registered
26 Posts
just spoke to the long gun section: the woman stated they are working on April 2021 at the moment and premise is still further behind. She said the NYS law of 6 months isn't valid because of Covid. The law is supposedly "suspended" (how do you check on that??) and she said you don't want us handing out permits to people with criminal backgrounds do you? Like the criminals are going through this whole hoop jumping procedure! She there are no pre=emptory directives in case POTUS changes may issue to shall issue on CCW, or conversion of all target and premise to CCW. Sounds like a legal challenge is coming in response.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
just spoke to the long gun section: the woman stated they are working on April 2021 at the moment and premise is still further behind. She said the NYS law of 6 months isn't valid because of Covid. The law is supposedly "suspended" (how do you check on that??) and she said you don't want us handing out permits to people with criminal backgrounds do you? Like the criminals are going through this whole hoop jumping procedure! She there are no pre=emptory directives in case POTUS changes may issue to shall issue on CCW, or conversion of all target and premise to CCW. Sounds like a legal challenge is coming in response.
Also how long does it take to run a cirminal background check? 5 minutes?

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
She's clearly full of shit. Also, counties were pulling this blatantly unlawful bullshit long before COVID.

And, to be clear, yes, I would rather see them handing out permits to criminals than denying or delaying the rights of law-abiding citizens. That's precisely why the six month timer exists: to ensure that the counties don't violate your rights by spending too much time processing your application.

Please, please, PLEASE fight this. Set up a gofundme to pay the litigator, I'll contribute.

Reactions: Parashooter

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had to wait a full year just to submit my permit application. I thought that would be the tough part but apparently not. I'm on month 4, waiting for my application to be reviewed (I called a few weeks ago and was told that it hadn't even reached the judge's desk).

It's downright criminal (pun intended) how onerous they make the process for law abiding citizens.

·
Registered
10 Posts
NYS requires pistol permit applications to be processed within 6 months pursuant to NY PENAL LAW § 400.00, which already seems like it should unconstitutional because it's so long, but in Westchester they make you wait a full year to even turn in your application, so that process is 18 months total, which is beyond ludicrous for something that should take 30-45 days at most. Imagine you went to register to vote for an election and they said sure, come back in 18 months and you can vote....for whatconstitutional right would the government ever make you wait 18 months? Except for the right to bear arms. Or you went for you driver's license and they said come back in a year and a half...

I can do it pro se but if there is any 2a attorney that would like to join me pro bono would be great, I'm an attorney myself but not a litigator by trade...

·
Registered
10 Posts
You file a law suit. you will never get a license. Nor will anyone else who joins you in this . Suck it up and wait. You will either get it or not. Let them tell you where they stand in your process. Then you figure out what course to take.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts