·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im considering the thought or reloading
i buy about 200 rounds for around 65 dollars
i put about a 150 rounds down range between three different calibers
40 S&W, 45 colt, 38spl
is it really worth it and when do you think i would be seeing a return with the amount of shooting that i do
ive been looking at kits and skimming the forum to see what i can find
anyone have any recommendations for kit to buy something that i could grow into and not grow out of quickly
not looking for absolute precision shooting by making my own reloads just want to put lead down range and save myself a couple bucks

thanks for all the input

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Not really worthy for now. And reloading is not just about saving but about learning a skill and a fundamental component and
also improving accuracy or creating specialty loads for competition or hunting.
At the other hand one could start reloading with a minimal investment and you might already have the brass I guess. 38 spc or
45 are good ones to start.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not really worthy for now. And reloading is not just about saving but about learning a skill and a fundamental component and
also improving accuracy or creating specialty loads for competition or hunting.
At the other hand one could start reloading with a minimal investment and you might already have the brass I guess. 38 spc or
45 are good ones to start.
yes i do have the brass i have a buddy that knows how to reload doesnt do it any more but knows the way of reloading and is willing to teach me so maybe ill look into getting a kit and if i save a few hey thats great but im deffinitly interested in learing it

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
In order to reload the investment can be minimal. The press kits are great but not 100% necessary.
Some good dies and a few other things and one can start learning.
I would start with reading a book.Read it then ask questions and then read it again.
Also read & watch some dvds or online collaterals.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank you

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I started off a few years ago with a RCBS kit and I love it. With those kits you still need a trimmer I stayed with RCBS but realistically I could have better spent my money on a different brand. Another thing to consider if you go the kit route is case cleaning. I went with a Hornady ultra sonic. I have not kept up with other makes and models for ultra sonic cleaning so there could be better out there. I don't have any experience with tumblers so I don't know which is better ultra sonic or tumbling.

One thing to consider if you are going to start reloading is to visit you LGS and see what supplies they carry. I ended up going with going with a sierra game king bullet for my 308 because they don't carry the Hornady bullet that I wanted to go with. Yes I could order the bullets online for a really good rate but nothing beats when you accidently run out of something and can run to the store and pick up what you need.

I haven't moved into pistol reloading yet so I wont be much help with the best dies for your calibers. My rifles I have stuck with RCBS but once again there are better ones for the money out there.

If you do want some reloading supply websites let me know and ill list some of the ones I frequent a lot.

FUAC

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Alot of great reasons to get into reloading but saving money isn't necessarily one of them unless you're reloading a lot of ammo. Meketrefe is definitely one of the gurus around here to listen to when it comes to this stuff. I'm new to the reloading game too. Pistol powder (the sought after products) is pretty hard to come by lately. If you're not buying components locally, haz mat fees (for powder/primers) eats into any savings. Good luck!

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah i would appreciate some websites
i can get alot of stuff locally reloading wise i have a gun store up the road that the guy seems to have lead and primers
dont know too much what im looking for but the guy is very egar to help customers with what they need
just a thought that had jumped in my head and me and my wife were talking about it

·
Registered
9,902 Posts
It's like foreplay. Start slow, enjoy, work your way into it.

Loading lead round nose, lead semi-wad cutters, wad cutters has kept my rifles up and running.

At points when no ammo was available I was able to find components for my odd ball rifles (jacketed .35) and keep them on the range as well.

A good press with slow deliberate intentional strokes with an enjoyable bang if you do it right.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
yeah i would appreciate some websites
i can get alot of stuff locally reloading wise i have a gun store up the road that the guy seems to have lead and primers
dont know too much what im looking for but the guy is very egar to help customers with what they need
just a thought that had jumped in my head and me and my wife were talking about it
There's always Midway USA- I'm sure you've read about the good bad with these guys.
-Powder Valley - They have excellent prices but rarely ever any stock so if you see a deal scoop it up fast here.
-Graf & Sons- I have never bought from here yet but the seem well priced with a decent stock.
-Mid South Shooting Supply- I haven't ordered from these guys yet either but will be very shortly.

I'm sure I'm missing some but these should get you a good price range for the different equipment that you will need.

Semper Fi

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Addition to above Wideners, Natchez, Berry's, Montana Gold, Cabelas...
Damn now I have to add more to my daily skimming! I have order from Natchez I few years ago they were great I forgot about them I will definitely be taking a look at what they have now.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Thanks for the credits but even after many years of reloading I am learning every day like everybody else.
Like other members here I could probably buy a small sports car with the amount I have spent in reloading equipment.
So this is what I would consider to get started and also until I definetelly know reloading is something I like.
Mass producing, speed or savings is not going to be your driver because one will not be able to achieve this.
To produce quality reloads it will be a dedicated, slow and tedious process with attention to detail. Then
as you gain confidence you can accelerate somewhat but without a progressive system there will be no substantial
time gains. however one could achieve amazing loads and yes save a little that is always good.
The main driver should be the knowledge and the satisfaction to shoot your own bullets.

If I had to start I would consider the following:
A set of dies. Look for deals.
A simple small single stage press.
For cleaning you can use a plastic bin and some simple green or soap/vinager/baking soda. No need for expensive sonic systems
or dirty tumblers. We will explain more about this.
One would need a scale but also not 100% necessary to start as one could reload based on density values with
specific powders. In this case one could even start w/o a thrower and build his/her own measure out of a small case.
Lee comes with a little cup that is also volume based in case one doesn't have a scale and thrower.
Ideally one would learn how to use a manual scale like those that come wiht the kit and everyone should know how to use them
but in the end most end up using a digital one for convenience. Then the other could stay as backup.
Consider some uses presses sold online. Some cost peanuts as as soon as the ram is in proper condition that would
work no matter what brand. A better die makes a bigger difference than the press brand for this type of rounds and reloading.
Everyone should have a good quality single stage press that will last a lifetime and specially those who are going to load
magnum or even form their own magnum cases could use a more expensive press with large links and rams and extra room
but not really necessary to start.
A set a calipers, a confortable and precise priming system and a few other thigns and you are ready to start learning.

My approach is to have everything you need to start and only the stuff you need to start simple. Then as you learn more
you are going to find out what you really like and could use vs. having dozens of equipment stuff as a result of a massive
buy that more times that not are left unused in favor of a better method that one one finds out with experience.

And also what if you find out reloading is not for you? A lot of people get bored of it. So better invest the minimum and
necessary to do it well and safely and then progress if that is what you want to do.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
im considering the thought or reloading
i buy about 200 rounds for around 65 dollars
i put about a 150 rounds down range between three different calibers
40 S&W, 45 colt, 38spl
is it really worth it and when do you think i would be seeing a return with the amount of shooting that i do
Depends on the breakdown of how many of each of those rounds you shoot. 40S&W, presumably out of a semi auto handgun - you will save some money over factory, but not a whole lot. 38spl, depending on what loads you like, you may save a significant amount. Soft shooting lead target loads in 38spl can be much less expensive than factory. 45LC (and 45 Colt is 45LC, not 45ACP correct?) you can probably save quite a bit, as well as being able to load the round for everything from cowboy action to full power hunting rounds.

Try this calculator: Handloading Cost Calculator

With a so-so price calculation of $28/lb for powder, $40/1k for primers and $140/1k for bullets (and no cost brass), your price per round comes up around $0.21 or so (8g powder charges). You are paying around $0.32/round now, so you can figure out how much you shoot to find the payback period.

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
So figure you spend $500 on equipment to get started. $500/$0.11 per round is about breakeven at 4,500 rounds. 4,500 rounds / 150 rounds per day = 30 trips to the range. So again, if you want to reload to save money, it all comes down to how much you shoot...

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
cost is not the main driver for the OPs type of shooting.

Cost is a factor of .....
- How much you shoot
- Prices if you can get substantial bulk discounts but you have to pay up front (liquidity).
- The $value of your time. time is money too. some people could be making more money doing something else than what the save reloading
or simply use that time to have more time with the family that is priceless time. In the end many people end up doing it because they really
enjoy the alone time in the man cave and their hobby.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I load for everything I have except 22. I have everything I need and save money using my reloads. Brass is the costliest part of a loaded round. You shouldn't need a case trimmer for pistol calibers. I started with a Lee Challenger kit to see if I liked loading, sold it for a little less than I paid to a new reloader and picked up a RCBS kit.
As far as figuring my time , I don't load when I could be working making money. don't count your loading time un less you count how much you are losing when you go shooting too. Its all part of the hobby.

Ben loading for 25+ yrs and am still upgrading my stuff. I got a power case trimmer last year for a birthday gift. Got a case prep center on XMAS this year.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
I started reloading just to wring all the accuracy out of my Varmit rifles I could get . It has ballooned from there , now it's reload cause with all of my friends ( they don't reload but they shoot a bunch ) I do all of theirs plus my own . Yes it sounds like a lot to get started but with a SDB from Dillon you can reload all of those calibers cheaper than buying ammo . Take a look a youtube ( Dillon has vids on there ) the cost will more than pay for it's self pretty quick plus you get to shoot more cheaper ( which is why reloading is the only way to go ) plus the more you shoot , the better you become as a shooter . I just looked a new machine for a friend who is thinking about starting . The cost plus shipping is 369.99 , the caliber change over parts per caliber is 68 . With either berry,s bullets or Montana gold bullets you can basically shoot for about 16 cents a round with shotgun powder . ( it's what I use cause I get a lot out of a pound ) I use promo now cause I bought a 8 lb jug for 124 plus shipping , hazmat fees . It all came out to 148 a jug ( I bought 4 jugs to keep the cost down plus powder was unavailable here anywheres ) . The cost of primers works out to .03 and the powder is .03 , the bullet I use is .09 , my time is just a bonus . There you go that's all I have today . Gotta go sling some lead as there is no better time than the present !

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I reload 38 spl, 357 magnum, and 40 S&W. I save a good amount of money per batch in materials. About $0.13 a round for 38, $0.15 a round for 40, and $0.17 cents a round for magnum. On average I save $10 per 50 rounds. If I give myself a shop rate for time, it ends up being a wash. If I had a progressive, the time cost would pay off.

I love being free from stores to get my ammo, and being able to experiment with different bullet weights and powder charges. Also, I feel less guilty shooting 200 rounds of ammo in a range session.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
I load for everything I have except 22. I have everything I need and save money using my reloads. Brass is the costliest part of a loaded round. You shouldn't need a case trimmer for pistol calibers. I started with a Lee Challenger kit to see if I liked loading, sold it for a little less than I paid to a new reloader and picked up a RCBS kit.
As far as figuring my time , I don't load when I could be working making money. don't count your loading time un less you count how much you are losing when you go shooting too. Its all part of the hobby.

Ben loading for 25+ yrs and am still upgrading my stuff. I got a power case trimmer last year for a birthday gift. Got a case prep center on XMAS this year.
Brass is hardly the most costly component. Even very expensive brass like lapua can end up being more affordable than other brands. Many calibers with proper brass preparation and annealing when needed can reload up to 30 times. Many popular calibers are found at range pickups for free or can be formed
from one of these or bought as once fired in really good bulk deals.
One could cast bullets and make it cheap but not an option for man types of shooting. Most people spend more in bullets and powder than any other component.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts