New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Poll: Americans Favor Criminalizing Kids Playing Unsupervised - Christine Rousselle

A whopping 68 percent of Americans think there should be a law that prohibits kids 9 and under from playing at the park unsupervised, despite the fact that most of them no doubt grew up doing just that.

What's more: 43 percent feel the same way about 12-year-olds. They would like to criminalize all pre-teenagers playing outside on their own (and, I guess, arrest their no-good parents).
im guessing the 68% that approve of this don't have children. My parents would be in jail for life

·
Registered
708 Posts
My wife often says it is amazing we survived without these modern protective bubbles.

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
So 68% of the population would be shocked and appalled to know what age both my wife and I were allowed to wander the woods unsupervised. Heck, my wife even grew up in an area with bears and rattle snakes. The biggest thing I had to worry about was poison ivy.

·
Registered
708 Posts
12 years old, roaming the dirt roads of Livingston County, with a Remington .22 and a pocket full of booooolits. Gasp - the horror.

And, yes, Governor, you are correct. I didn't need more than 10 boooolits to kill a woodchuck. (but that's the only thing you are right about, you nitwit)

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
It's more dangerous to let your children go on the internet unsupervised theirs no limit to the s*** they can get into.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Didn't believe link, so went to its source and, oh dear, it's real.

I know old folk think things never used to be so bad, but this is one of those things I truly do think have changed. When I was 8 I used to ride my bike around my neighborhood, the surrounding neighborhoods, go to the store, etc. by myself. Was never raped or assaulted.

I think society's rampant obsession with pedophila and succumbing to the availability heuristic about kidnappings have made us all afraid it will happen to our kids, despite the fact there is damn near no chance it will ever happen. I know I am more protective of my own kids than my parents were (though less than many other parents, I'm sure), but partly we key off other parents, and we've all kind of as a group become pathetic.

·
Registered
7,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ya, well I remember when I was 6 or 7 and running around the neighborhood like a crazy little person.....my parents knew about it faster than any e-mail, cell phone call, internet connection or smoke signals. and we had a freak'n party line, anyone remember those.

when I got home, my parents turned me into a tent stake, I got my a$$ B-E-A-T....

ALL the other parents KNEW what all the other kids where doing, where we were, how we got there....I swear the parents I knew had jungle drums or something, I couldn't get away with ANYTHING

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
these polls are almost always meaningless. I read the data and the question is misleading.

In your opinion, should parents be allowed to let their [6 year old children] play at public parks unsupervised? Or should the law require they be supervised at public parks?

So what is the question? Do i think a 6 year old should be watched, of course. Do i think we need another law about parenting, no way. This poll is just another attempt to stir the pot, most polls you see now are garbage and meant to just piss people off of the particular target audience of that media source. Why are we even concerend about what the public thinks....../end rant

·
Registered
7,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ARE YOU KIDDING ME? WTF? so anywhere there is more than 3 or 4 people, I can reasonably believe I will be the target of a mad man?

I think this judge just said to every parent in America........get a firearm to protect your children

·
Registered
899 Posts
Back when I was a young child I walked to kindergarten alone (or with my pals) and we played outside, often unsupervised.

Things were different then. For one, we had the Mafia rather than the gangbangers. And the Mafia made sure their neighborhood was safe. Cops too were given a lot of leniency. Known child molesters simply didn't live anywhere near the family neighborhoods because they'd be told to leave or they would "fall down the stairs".

Now these convicted molesters live amongst us, ready to strike again. And so do the drugged-up meth heads and other freaks. Somehow it's OK now to be a scavenging, thieving druggie.

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
We want to live in a safe world, says Ruskin, "But we don't." Kids 7,8,9 and 10 should not walk to school or even venture outside without you, she says. Perhaps by age 11 you can let your child out in "short spurts," but really, folks, "It is your job to be the parent," and if you trust your kids to walk the dog or bike to a friend's, you are guilty of "parentifying" your child - turning the child into an adult.
Whiskey tango foxtrot? So all the elementary schools that have kids walking to school from nearby residences need to change their policy?

Meanwhile, in Russia.....

·
Registered
3,212 Posts

·
Registered
1,755 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Wow, with stupid things such as this, it's no wonder kids are fat and lazy. But the parents are even lazier. They want more laws on how to "manage" kids, come on!

Ahh, for the days of freedom. Walking a few blocks to grade school. Mounting my trusty bicycle and taking off far from home. Hanging out with the gang (before it became a bad word), playing baseball, tackle football, an god forbid hockey on a frozen lake a mile or so from home. Going fishing in remote spots around the lake in the spring and summer.
Cutting lawns with a power mower that you wound a rope around the top to get it going. Pulled the spark plug wire off with pliers to stop it. No sissy safety features on this thing! Buying a can of gas to run the mower was never questioned or forbidden.
Most of us carried a pocket knife and never caused any damage to ourselves with it. We'd build forts in the woods using an axe or hatchet to cut dead trees and branches.
Taking a stroll along the rail road tracks with a Remington 511 .22 to shoot varmints didn't send shock waves through the town. And what ever we shot, had to be used. Either skinned or eaten sometimes both. We picked up our spent shells, to throw out at home. Never littered or left more than foot prints.
We were seldom supervised if at all. Our parents knew where we were and who we were with. We knew what time we were expected home, and there was a penalty for being late.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts