New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking into buying a CCW vest. I've been researching online and it seems like the most casual way to carry and fits my style of dress. That said, when listening to opinions on concealed carry vests, many people seem to think they are a bad idea because people will ask "why is that guy wearing that (apparently "tactical" looking) vest? He's probably carrying a gun" Long story short, I guess my question would be why is that a problem? Obviously provided one is doing the right things regarding legal concealed carry, etc, why is that a bad thing? It would seem like one would want wrong doers to percieve a confident, tactical, alert, prepared (and while not advertising) potentially armed individual.

PS - As always, any information is appreciated and if there's already a rockin thread on this topic I apologize and please direct me to said thread.

PSS - While this post is more seeking a point counterpoint advice/discussion on concealed vest carry, if there any recommendations for large frame individuals, (about 5'10, 300lbs) would eb appreciated.

Hope everyone has a safe weekend, and even better that some can get out to the range

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
Your biggest advantage to carrying a gun is the fact that nobody else knows you have it.

If I see someone wearing a vest I assume he's carrying a gun if I'm not out trout fishing.

Are you looking at a vest to hide a gun carried in a belt holster or some sort of vest that actually carries your gun? If it's the latter I would rethink the whole thing because while you're accessing a gun in a pocket or inside compartment in clothing you're very vulnerable. I'm half your size and if I came after you and you tried to draw your gun I could probably put a pretty good hurting on you before you got to it. If you carried in a belt holster your draw time and body position would give you a better chance of stopping someone. Plus while you draw your arm is protecting your body more.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alot of my friends (emergency responders) have vests representing their various depts, companies, rescue squads, etc. In the emergency response world vests are common apparel, so in that regard its not an uncommon or "alarming" (regarding firearms) article or clothing to be warn.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
Depends on your style I guess. If I showed up somewhere in a vest my friends would ask my what the hell I was wearing.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I mean is it just the vest that you would think would tip someone off? I would think in fairness your firearms familiarity and expertise would hint you off but not the average Joe? And I guess I still wonder why someone thinking I may be armed would be a bad thing? Aside from the obvious someone taking a bat to one's head from behind to take the gun, which is possible but one would think unlikely.

Please don't confuse my comments and questions as arguing, just would be curious as to your elaboration on your point.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Well I mean is it just the vest that you would think would tip someone off? I would think in fairness your firearms familiarity and expertise would hint you off but not the average Joe? And I guess I still wonder why someone thinking I may be armed would be a bad thing? Aside from the obvious someone taking a bat to one's head from behind to take the gun, which is possible but one would think unlikely.

Please don't confuse my comments and questions as arguing, just would be curious as to your elaboration on your point.
If no one knows you have it you have the element of surprise.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So it would seem that (regarding memeber of this discussion) vest automatically = carrying gun = obvious and bad

·
Registered
419 Posts
I like the idea of the CCW vest and have been thinking about it off and on for a while.

I often wear Khaki short sleeve shirts over a t-shirt with either an IWB or pocket holster.

But I've always wondered what would happen if I needed my pistol while I was in my car with the seat belt on.

A CCW vest answers that question and I could probably wear it all year round without much discomfort during the summer.

Seems to be a lot of them on Amazon for well under $100 that are very versatile and got good user reviews.

·
I proposed in my NYFirearms.com t-shirt
1,647 Posts
i wear vests all the time (when not at work) because of the functionality.
not necessarily tactical vests, but vests none the less. just took one off actually!

i'm often too hot for full jackets. so that's why i rock 'em,
especially in the spring & fall

plus extra pockets are handy.
vests help me keep my iwb full size glock concealed too!
but they were a huge part of my wardrobe way before I started ccw'ing

edit: note that i do not carry a ccw in a vest, so take my thoughts for what they are worth.
i'm just in the camp that doesn't think that just because you are wearing a vest means that you are carrying.

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
A normal vest (fleece for example) would be fine. The tacticool vests are know as the "shoot me first" vest for a reason. I heard a story in one of Rochester Personal Defenses classes about a dirtbag who was robbing a gas station. A guy walked in wearing a Remington hat. The robber shot him dead just because he had a firearms hat on (had no gun). He said he might have had a gun so I shot him. In my opinion its always best to fly under the radar. The IDPA style vest just screams "I have a gun" to me.

·
I proposed in my NYFirearms.com t-shirt
1,647 Posts
yeah, some vests are more obvious than others.
but the same can be said about wearing camo, or like you said a remington hat.
or a t-shirt that implies that you support our constitutional rights, or sagging your pants letting your ass hang out,
or an nra or rpd sticker on your truck, or having a military style hair cut, or any number of tattoo types,
or sporting a fanny pack to the beach, or wearing 5.11 pants, and the list goes on.

some people will do some of these things, and not others.
for me, it depends on where i'm going and what i feel like, but rock camo all the time.
i wear my nyfirearms t-shirt in public often. could it get me shot because someone might think i will stop them, sure. maybe.
but i might get shot first because i'm 6'-6" 300lbs, regardless of what i'm wearing.

i wouldn't keep a gun rack on my truck in my current neighboorhood though, because i don't want burglars thinking there might be guns for the taking inside my house or something. everyone is different, everyones situations are different.

i know some people that really fly under the radar, and i know some people that REALLY don't.
depends on charector, body style, location, age, many factors imho

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
i wear vests all the time (when not at work) because of the functionality.
not necessarily tactical vests, but vests none the less. just took one off actually!

i'm often too hot for full jackets. so that's why i rock 'em,
especially in the spring & fall

plus extra pockets are handy.
vests help me keep my iwb full size glock concealed too!
but they were a huge part of my wardrobe way before I started ccw'ing

edit: note that i do not carry a ccw in a vest, so take my thoughts for what they are worth.
i'm just in the camp that doesn't think that just because you are wearing a vest means that you are carrying.
Yup, I agree with Big. I wear some nice fleece Eddie Bauer vests over long sleeve shirts a good deal of the time.Of course I also wear fedora and cadet caps, so take whatever I wear with a grain of non-reality. But, the vests do help when I carry OWB.

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
yeah, some vests are more obvious than others.
but the same can be said about wearing camo, or like you said a remington hat.
or a t-shirt that implies that you support our constitutional rights, or sagging your pants letting your ass hang out,
or an nra or rpd sticker on your truck, or having a military style hair cut, or any number of tattoo types,
or sporting a fanny pack to the beach, or wearing 5.11 pants, and the list goes on.

some people will do some of these things, and not others.
for me, it depends on where i'm going and what i feel like, but rock camo all the time.
i wear my nyfirearms t-shirt in public often. could it get me shot because someone might think i will stop them, sure. maybe.
but i might get shot first because i'm 6'-6" 300lbs, regardless of what i'm wearing.

i wouldn't keep a gun rack on my truck in my current neighboorhood though, because i don't want burglars thinking there might be guns for the taking inside my house or something. everyone is different, everyones situations are different.

i know some people that really fly under the radar, and i know some people that REALLY don't.
depends on charector, body style, location, age, many factors imho
This says "I have a gun" more than anything else listed to me. Or "I should be on the sidelines of an NFL game with a 5k camera lens!"

5.11 5.11 Tactical Vest

I would rather fly under the radar but that's just me. I do wear a fleece vest at time and would even wear this:

Jump Ship? - YouTube

Just not a tacticool vest but thats just me!

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
So it would seem that (regarding memeber of this discussion) vest automatically = carrying gun = obvious and bad
Well, maybe. I think a lot of people are making the incorrect assumption that non-gun people think the same way we do.

Sure, to a person who has a carry permit and frequents this forum, vest == carrying. But I think it's rather silly to assume that non-gun people would arrive at the same conclusion. Frankly, it's not the people on gun forums that you need to worry about.

Why don't you find some of your non-firearms friends and see if they make the same association. I'll bet dollars to donuts they don't. Same goes for the hoodlum, despite the fact that he may be pro-gun.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Gun people see a "fishing" or "photographer" style vest and they might assume gun. Non gun people (majority of people fall into this category) see a vest and they think "that guy looks weird or wow, he really likes fishing."

If you dont care about what others might think, then rock the vest. You're carrying for the safety of yourself and your loved ones, its not a fashion show... with all that said, there are better way to conceal carry but work with what you have.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Gun people see a "fishing" or "photographer" style vest and they might assume gun. Non gun people (majority of people fall into this category) see a vest and they think "that guy looks weird or wow, he really likes fishing." .
I tend to agree with this, and I think a lot of it is situational. If you were on the NYC subway, nobody would look twice at you if you had a photographer's vest on. I have a Maxpedition versipack (great product, by the way) that I wear occassionally. On the subway, it merely looks like a black man-bag and I don't think anyone gives it any thought. If I'm in rural NJ or PA and walk into a walmart with it, I think more people do see it and think "gun."

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I just finished working on this:
(NOTE THIS IS A Crossman BB GUN since I don't have my permit yet)

Step 1: Buy vintage levi's jacket for next to nothing at local thrift shop/salvation army/yard sale/whatever
Step 2: Wash it several times
Step 3: Cut off sleeves
Step 4: Buy a cheap 10 dollar Left handed IWB holster
Step 5: Put holster in the left pocket of the jacket.
Step 6: Put patches on, Cut the picture off a shirt and sew it to the back, etc. (not yet completed but I'm going to be using this shirt. It just hasn't shown up yet) This step is optional.

Step 7: Wear it.

Granted this may be something that you have to be the type of person that can pull it off.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Some fine enginuity on the homemade vest.

I actually went out and bought a couple of carhardt vests, the inside pockets more than hold my fireamrs and even when fully zipped closed on my large torso no obvious printing what so ever. Thanks for all the info though guys

1 - 20 of 30 Posts