New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently applied for and received both my New York and Pennsylvania concealed carry permits and wanted to have a handy way of recognizing the many delicate laws that come with carrying a concealed handgun within any state that has reciprocity with New York or Pennsylvania. I found a great app available to apple users (not sure about android) called CCW- Concealed Carry 50 State Guide. This app allows the user to have state by state laws based upon the permits they have in an easily accessible format that also updates the laws regularly. Simple things such as "duty to notify", what places handguns are allowed, or if "no gun signs" hold any weight in a particular state are all at the push of a button. The app also has a feature that will pull up any shooting ranges, gun stores, firearms training, gun repair, or FFL dealers near you in google maps with just the tap of a button. I have found it to be extremely useful for myself and wanted to share it with the rest of the firearms community here in New York.

·
Registered
122 Posts
It is a great tool, but don't take everything 100%. With how quickly laws change, always make sure to check current state laws before transporting through or to any states. Last thing you want to have to tell a LEO is "but my phone app said it was OK".

"Posted" is another good one to find any locations that are posted with no gun signs so you don't get caught off guard. I use it along with Texas3006 here in Texas to help plan my nights and avoid having to leave my gun in my car as much as possible. More great tools, but always check for signage first as well.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I don't remember paying for either of the apps...

It looks like they do charge for it now though. Personally I think it's worth the $2-$3. I've definitely gotten more than that out of it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'll def be checking that app out.

As I wait for my CCW application to be approved, I've been trying to learn about all of the NYS laws/regulations.

From all of the reading I've been doing online, The handgun laws in NYS seem unduly confusing and nearly impossible for the average handgun owner to always be sure he/she is in compliance with the law(s). This seems esp true for those of us who plan on using their CCWs across multiple counties in this state.

From what I've read ...the vast majority of new CCW approvals come with administrative restrictions (i.e. "Sportsman", "Hunting and Target Only" etc etc) and every county seems to have their own "spin" on what those restrictions allow/forbid handgun owners to do. Not to mention, the fact that I find it highly doubtful that all LEOs agree on what is and isn't alllowed.

It seems as though you could easily find yourself violating those administrative restrictions without even knowing it. Or find yourself hassled by a local LEO if they don't understand the handgun laws(esp when pertaining to the restrictions). What I find esp frustrating is that local laws/regs regarding CCWs aren't posted on county law enforcement websites.

Plenty of vids on youtube where cops hassle law abiding gun owners because either they don't know the gun laws well enough....or they decide that they don't agree with the laws and try to enforce laws that don't even exist.

I referred to all of the vague/confusing laws/regulations and arbitrary enforcement in my "just cause" letter that I sent in with my CCW application....as the reason that I wanted a "full carry" permit. I argued that any CCW holder with administrative restrictions could easily find themselves in non-compliance without even knowing it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts