New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my rifle/shotgun permit today....and it took me a little less than 4 months.

Anyways, it came with a slip saying that no firearm that takes more than 5 rounds will be registered.

How are we supposed to comply with this law?

All I want right now, is a Ruger 10/22. Maybe next will be a .22 Henry Lever Action.

so what do I have to do to comply with this 5-round rule?

thanks guys, I appreciate your help.

·
Banned
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ok, I see that theere are 5-round mags. for the 10/22. I think the lady may have misspoke, and that I simply can't own any magazines that hold more than 5-rounds.

am i correct? i mean, how can you modify a Ruger 10/22 to take a 5-round mag but not a 10-round mag?

·
Registered
820 Posts
From what I've heard, just make sure the seller specifies on the bill of sale that it's a 5-rd rifle. If you buy from any of the dealers in NYC, or a dealer who's used to dealing with our garbage, they'll know what to do. Someone in another thread recommended these:

"A couple of great, knowlegable gun shops just east of the City are ...

South Shore Sportsman, in Merrick. Mike is ex NYC Cop and won't sell you something you can't own.

Hunter Sports, in Massapequa.

Hunters Essentials, in Albertson."

That said, why not go with a 5-rd Mini-14 rancher?:D

·
Banned
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From what I've heard, just make sure the seller specifies on the bill of sale that it's a 5-rd rifle. If you buy from any of the dealers in NYC, or a dealer who's used to dealing with our garbage, they'll know what to do. Someone in another thread recommended these:

"A couple of great, knowlegable gun shops just east of the City are ...

South Shore Sportsman, in Merrick. Mike is ex NYC Cop and won't sell you something you can't own.

Hunter Sports, in Massapequa.

Hunters Essentials, in Albertson."

That said, why not go with a 5-rd Mini-14 rancher?:D
will someone at Dick's in Nassau County know what to do?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Yup....we're out of our minds...

·
Banned
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
like I said, the Ruger 10/22 only holds one round. The magazine holds 5 rounds, or 10 rounds, or 25 rounds.

so i can get this gun and 5-round mags, and I am cool right?

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Does it say

no firearm that takes more than 5 rounds will be registered.

, or does it say
No firearm with a fixed magazine capacity of more than 5 rounds will be registered.
A Ruger 10/22 with a 5 round magazine holds 6 rounds. A Mossberg 500 with a 5 shot magazine holds 6 rounds.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
The 10/22 needs a magazine to operate so it goes by that capacity.

·
Registered
820 Posts
"No person may possess an ammunition feeding device which is designed for use in a rifle or shotgun and which is capable of holding more than five rounds of rifle or shotgun ammunition." New York City N.Y., Code §10-306(b).

The City Code defines an "ammunition feeding devices" as "[m]agazines, belts, feedstrips, drums or clips capable of being attached to or utilized with firearms, rifles, shotguns or assault weapons." New York City N.Y., Code §10-301(17).

Problem is, the NYPD has been interpreting this to include internal magazines, so you can't register a lever-action .357 since it has an 8-round internal magazine. You have to get it neutered so it only holds 5 rounds.

·
Banned
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Does it say

, or does it say

A Ruger 10/22 with a 5 round magazine holds 6 rounds. A Mossberg 500 with a 5 shot magazine holds 6 rounds. [/COLOR]
"No person may possess an ammunition feeding device which is designed for use in a rifle or shotgun and which is capable of holding more than five rounds of rifle or shotgun ammunition." New York City N.Y., Code §10-306(b).

The City Code defines an "ammunition feeding devices" as "[m]agazines, belts, feedstrips, drums or clips capable of being attached to or utilized with firearms, rifles, shotguns or assault weapons." New York City N.Y., Code §10-301(17).

looks like as long as the internal mag can't hold more than 5-rounds, and you don't own an external mag that holds more than 5-rounds, u should be kosher.

·
Registered
278 Posts
This is why, in all seriousness, I kept my weapons stored on Long Island for 5 years before finally buying a house out here. My shooting buddy kept my gear at his place, it was never an issue because if I was going hunting or target shooting, he was usually going with me anyway!

Keith

·
Registered
156 Posts
Most NYC dealers will know what to do. You need a five-round magazine or otherwise reduce the capacity of the rifle or shotgun. You mentioned a Henry--I just called them and they make a 5-round internal magazine tube for NYC compliance.

·
Banned
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Most NYC dealers will know what to do. You need a five-round magazine or otherwise reduce the capacity of the rifle or shotgun. You mentioned a Henry--I just called them and they make a 5-round internal magazine tube for NYC compliance.
who are the cheaper NYC dealers?

·
Banned
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Eureka!!

the Dicks in Nassau County says that I need to buy a 5-round magazine, bring it to them with the invoice, they will make a copy of the invoice, and keep 10-round magazine. that's what I need to do.

ok, good to know that its not a total goose-chase.

·
Registered
147 Posts
A private seller will probably ship to you, but no major website company like Midway USA or CheaperThanDirt will ship magazines here. I'm sure the city has a law prohibiting it. Get out to Long Island and have a shop order you something if they don't normally carry it. I went to Colliseum guns on Hempstead Turnpike for my 10/22 5-rounders. They're quite knowledgeable of NYC's firearms rules/laws.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts