New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am 6'2" and 150, i know this has been discussed before but this to me is a little different no Hawaiian shirts for me don't have a carry yet but want a a pistol for that purpose if i get it will probably be an ankle carry because of my size what do you guys like. I was looking at the px4 storm the xd, s&w revolver what do you guys like and whats comfortable are there any other options you would recommend pistol or holster? I'm leaning more towards a 9mm because of capacity and faster follow up. If you disagree please tell me your opinions i would like to hear everything Thanks everyone

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I'm more concerned with how it fits in my hand than I am how it fits on my body. I have no problem with a full size and a IWB Supertuck.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
iwb may be a problem because my work shirts are form fitting and short dont want it peaking out to say hello you know....

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Don't carry on your ankle. It is hard to reach efficiently and if you have to run you can't w/o a limp or loosing your pistol.
Get a compact. 9mm is as lethal as anything else. Whatever you choose make sure you are good with and feel
comfortable that is what it counts. A glock 19 is a great tool with preban mags available.

·
Banned
5,970 Posts
Forget ankle carry, it is for back up weapons only, your have your face kicked in or a knife in your spine long before you clear leather. There are tuckable holster that allow IWB carry and still tuck in your shirt. There are some pretty small 9's on the market and they turn almost invisible in an IWB with the tuck option.

·
Registered
76 Posts
As stated above, ankle holster for your go-to, everyday carry is probably not the best option. I spoke to a former officer from Vegas Metro who relayed a story concerning a gun in an ankle holster for a back-up gun......

Two cops were chasing a guy on foot, one directly behind the suspect, the second cop behind him. The second cop had his back up in an ankle rig.... As they were all running, the gun dislodged from the ankle rig, skipped across the pavement past the first cop and past the suspect. The suspect was now running ahead with a loaded, properly maintained handgun on the ground in front of him.... It could've been disastrous...

Now I know you're not likely to be in foot pursuit of anyone soon, but if shots go off, you may be running FROM those shots. While running you'll be unable to draw your handgun, especially if it already went skipping across the pavement in front of you.

Just some stuff to consider.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I'm more concerned with how it fits in my hand than I am how it fits on my body. I have no problem with a full size and a IWB Supertuck.
interesting thing I ran in to the other day shooting with a member on here -- I have the g19 (compact) and he has a g26 (sub compact) -- only difference being that his subcompact is a .40 and holds less bullets, but (this was just "hand weighing" we didn't have a scale) the g19 and the g26 felt about the same in weight, so I agree with this statement. I'm 6'2" about 450lbs, and the g19 JUST fits my hand, so you should definitely get your hands on some different models and then decide what fits best, then how to carry

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Disagree that you will have trouble concealing. I'm 6'6" 200lbs and conceal fine. I prefer appendix carry now but carried at 4 oclock for a while. Ciurrently edc a glock 26.

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
I carry a 1911 in 45 acp, mainly because I grew up with them. The round is battle proven and since I can only carry a limited # of rounds it is good enough to ensure a stop with good shot placement.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
I like 9mm +P+ and 357SIG high velocity low grain solids because they do very well with the type of shooting and tactics I use.
I also like .40 that makes more sense in a shorter pistol with high grain loads.
I appreciate the .45 and the beauty of the 1911's but do not see any advantages for carrying myself and my type of shooting so
I cannot comment on those.

·
Banned
5,970 Posts
I've carried everything from a 22 lr to a 44 mag. Truth be told, caliber doesn't mean much, in a real life gun fight your pulling the trigger till the bad guy goes down or you run out of ammo. Might be one shot, might be 3 mag fulls, or you might be running your ass off trying to hide or get away. Carry what you like.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts