New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sunday my wife and I had are first hand gun training and we had a great time. Are first and only pistol right now is a S&W M&P40 full size. When shooting she was having a hard time trying to hold on to it, even with the small backstrap on it. So we went down to the gun shop so she could hold a few to see what felt good in her hands in 9mm. She liked the Walther P99c and Kahr CW9, and saw the Kimber Solo in one of my mags and likes that one by the looks. I want here to check out the Walther PPS and the shield. Do you guys have any suggestions for a 9mm? For now she needs it to practice with and next year she'll get her CCW. THANKS

· Registered
698 Posts
The Kimber Solo looks pretty sweet but i haven't got my hands on one yet. But they are a little pricey. I happen to drink the Glock Kool-aid myself Bill~ My carry of choice G-23 not a huge difference in shooting compared to a 9mm but i like my .40!

· Registered
275 Posts
I got my wife a S&W M&P 40c and put in a 9mm barrel, picked up a couple of the 9mm mags and she loves it. I liked the ability to have the ability to shoot 40 in case I ever wanted to go shoot that caliber, and all of my other pistols are M&Ps so it made sense to me to keep her in the same family.

It is pretty soft shooting with the 9mm and is small enough while still having enough to keep it softer shooting.

The small backstrap on the compact series is smaller than the one on the full size series.

Good luck on your search.

· Registered
687 Posts
I know some counties you can get a target and hunting and have heard they must wait X amount of time to try to get it modified to a CC

· Registered
2,689 Posts
Have your wife try an HK p2000sk. 100% reliable for CCW and may fit her hand very well.
+1, after a long search this is what I have settled on as the perfect CCW. I wrote a review here: http://www.nyfirearms.com/forums/handguns/31312-h-k-p2000sk-review.html Mine is V4, medium LEM. I believe the LEM to be the ideal trigger system for concealed carry.

The P99c you mentioned is an extremely close runner-up for me. I've never fired one, but the size, capacity, and ergonomics for me make it a very good choice. Ultimately I like the HK a bit more due to the trigger system and preferring hammer-fired weapons. I own a PPS and it is great if you need a single stack. I actually find my P2000sk conceals better though, I believe this is due to it being a bit more rounded where the PPS is squared a bit more. All excellent choices though. I would stay away from the Kahrs and Kimbers.

If you are ever in the Monroe county area, I'd be happy to let you try the P2000sk or PPS.

· Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Why are you asking us? Take her to the store and let her pick out what is comfortable for her.
I did as mentioned in the original post, before spending the money I wanted to get some recommendations.

You say "next year she'll get her CCW."

I'm confused. Does she have it or doesn't she?
I should of said she has restrictions and she'll have a Unrestricted next summer.

The HK is a nice looking pistol I'm going to take a look at it, thanks. I just left the gun store looking for the M&P shield. No go they told me they have 50 on backorder.

· Registered
2,689 Posts
I did as mentioned in the original post, before spending the money I wanted to get some recommendations.

I should of said she has restrictions and she'll have a Unrestricted next summer.

The HK is a nice looking pistol I'm going to take a look at it, thanks. I just left the gun store looking for the M&P shield. No go they told me they have 50 on backorder.
Shield would be a good choice too, my opinion is its equivalent to the PPS, so decide whether you want manual safety and traditional button release, or no safety and paddle release. The PPS also has the QuickSafe backstraps, which I consider a negative, but a minor one. Since I shoot mostly HKs, I prefer the European-style mag release. I also got mine before the Shield was available.

One feature you may not think of, that I have made a requirement on my striker guns, is the striker indicator on the rear. On the PPS, it is designed to show you that the gun is cocked with a red dot showing. However, I like it because when holstering, I can put my thumb over this area to ensure the trigger is not moving. When the trigger is pulled, the striker protrudes from out of the rear of the gun. Putting your thumb there would block the movement if the trigger was being pulled. The Shield has no way to do this.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.