New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
If you go to edit and advanced you can fix the title of the post if you wanted to.

About the article, that is very very nice, score one for the Constitution for once, if only NYS would follow in these footsteps and get rid of some of our stupid bans (like no open carry, pistol permit requirements, high capacity magazine laws and the AWB)

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Fixed.

This is now at the 4th Circuit court of appeals, from there hopefully the Supreme Court and freedom for you and others in "may issue" states...Believe it or not, this is not the first ruling like this. PR was the first.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Thanks, Fixed.

This is now at the 4th Circuit court of appeals, from there hopefully the Supreme Court and freedom for you and others in "may issue" states...Believe it or not, this is not the first ruling like this. PR was the first.
So if the supreme court rules in favor of this there is a good chance NYS will become a "Will issue" state unless you have some sort of record?

·
Banned
105 Posts
I hope people remember we are one supreme court justice away from much stricter gun laws.

Vote for Romney not the commie

Yes i know about his assault ban and am not a big fan, but he is WAY BETTER than OBama and more likely to give us a constitutionalist as opposed to activist judge.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
I hope people remember we are one supreme court justice away from much stricter gun laws.

Vote for Romney not the commie

Yes i know about his assault ban and am not a big fan, but he is WAY BETTER than OBama and more likely to give us a constitutionalist as opposed to activist judge.
Bloombagf was asked by Pearse Morgan what he thought the founding fathers meant in regards to the 2nd amendment and he said it was for the Supreme Court to interpret it, nothing to interpret as far as I am concerned

·
Registered
536 Posts
It's good to see this shift in Marylands laws. I grew up in MA, but lived in MD for about a year and a half around 1999-2000. When I looked into the local gun laws I was stunned that I couldn't even apply for a carry permit unless I had "cause". And it really seemed from my research at the time that you had to have proof that someone was looking to seriously harm or kill you. I could buy a handgun to keep in my home with no permint (something refreshing from MA law), but I was nervous even thinking about taking it to a range and target shooting. I decided to wait, and then ended up here in NY.

MD's laws were a little baffling to me having grown up in MA, where the laws were pretty strict but they trusted good people like my dad and mom to have permits if you have no criminal record, and are not bat sh*t crazy.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It still stands though...the makeup of the court is very important...

However, I'm not sure Kagan is a true anti...she shoots trap and skeet herself.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Yeah I think it is understated how important Supreme Court justice nominations are. They are the most powerful group in government. You could argue the president is, or Congress is, but ultimately everything they do gets justified or cancelled by the SCOTUS. Look at health care. The president and Congress pushed it through, but ultimately SCOTUS upheld it. Same thing with gun laws.

So Romney can be pro-gun, or anti-gun, but if he appoints a Republican Supreme Court justice, that will probably be the most significant thing he does. Ditto for Obama.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
So if the supreme court rules in favor of this there is a good chance NYS will become a "Will issue" state unless you have some sort of record?
IF it prevails in the 4th circuit (high probability), it will be established that the RIGHT to BEAR ARMS by the individual extends beyond the house,

This should get rid of things like permits to possess, and make any kind of permit to carry a "Shall Issue" if the person "may possess". (that is not a prohibited person)

To apply to NYS it will need to be accepted for consideration by the Supreme Court of the US and be confirmed. Otherwise, it will have to have a simular suit brought in NY and that case go through the 1st ciruit court of appeals, but with the win in the 4th, if the 1st did not agree with the 4th's ruling...it would stand a very good chance of going the the Supremes

It took a long time for the nation to stomp on the 2A, it will still take a long time to drag it back up to where it belongs in the law of the land.

OH!

I forgot...the same question is at the 3rd Court of Appeals right now..question from NJ where the federal judge ruled that there is NO right to bear arms outside the home...if the 3rd Court of Appeals sides with the NJ Judge, and teh 4th Court of Appeals sides with the MD judge, there is our Supreme Court case right there.

The case is:
Case has been appealed to Third Circuit and I would like to see Plaintiff's brief

No. 12-1150

DANIEL J. PISZCZATOSKI, et al.,
Plaintiffs-Appellants,
v.
THE HON. RUDOLPH A. FILKO, et al

·
Registered
712 Posts

Vote for Romney .
He's right! Thats what keeps me up at night. Romney not as right as Id like BUT. All the dems have to do is APPOINT one more supreme court justice and we are easily screwed !!! Those are LIFE appointees too!!!! Scalia is getting up there ya know!!!!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts