New York Firearms Forum banner

Combative shotgun course

1K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  kouzman 
#1 ·
Anybody ever take a combative shotgun course?

I'm looking into taking one this summer and wanted to know what its like and what gear i should get before attending. Also, if you know of a good course, let me know.

#5 ·
MDTS course is awesome. It's designed around the Rem 870 or Mossberg Pump (don't know model number) but you can basically use any pump or semi-auto. I've said this 1000 times already but Chris Fry is AWESOME. Highly recommended. You need to bring your gun, ammo (specified in the course flyer), safety glasses, ear pro and a good attitude. Clothing appropriate for the weather, a hat, plenty of water and lunch is optional, lol...

Where is this course in April? I'm up for another one...

#6 ·
LI. I'm doubling it up as my spring vacation 4/26 and 27 with the pistol class. Also using the weekend to visit with a childhood friend I used to spend every summer with until we were 25. Now we both have kids and stuff and I barely see him once a year. We're gonna shoot at Suffolk Clay range the day before...

#8 ·
I read the flyer and i thought that the ammo suggestion was a little low. I wanted to maybe pick up a Mossberg 930 SPX for doing the course...
If I get my Pistol Permit by then i might also pop on that if its the same weekend...

#12 ·
UGHH!!!

4/25 is a racing weekend for me.... But i really want to attend the course... I guess i have to make a rea hard decision here...

Can we actually bring two different shotguns? it would be a great opportunity to test both my Supernova and M2 and see which one performs best or help me deal with the respective scenarios....

#14 ·
Took the MDTS shotgun 1 last year, well worth it.

#15 ·
Well, if we do decide to rock this course out, maybe we should all meet up for some brewskis afterwards???
:cheers:

And if Not one of the Mossberg 930's. maybe one of these? Mossberg 590:

#16 ·
The one thing besides the cheaper overall feel of the Mossies that I don't like is with the pumps ypu have to throw a round away on the ground when you perform a slig changeover drill. You don't have many rounds with a shotgun to begin with so I don't like losing anyof the few I do have.

#19 ·
Hey All,

1) you can bring (2) shotguns to the class if you like however, I recommend picking one and working with it for awhile to get good with it.
2) I will not have any shotguns to rent at this class since it's down on Long Island 4/26
3) as of now there is (1) seat still open in this class

Thanks and I look forward to shooting with some of you this year,

Chris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.