New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some info on the 6" Colt Pythons. Any years to avoid, Things to look for when purchasing, ECt. This will be my first revolver so any info is help full.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
earlier the better.Many say the late 90s was the worst years cause the tooling was wearing and the product was sloppier.One of the biggest problems i have heard the Python having was getting out of time with heavy shooting,so this is something to be aware of.Ive never seen it happen but i guess its possible.I do know where there is one that i bet hasnt had 100 rounds through it ide love to get but will never happen.For the prices they are getting these days there cant be to much wrong with them .Ive seen some out of this world price tags on some Pythons.

·
Registered
905 Posts
a lot of money for the privilege of saying you own a python. yes they are a nice gun but can come pretty darn close with a early smith & wesson at about 1/2 the cost. the problem (unless you have money to burn) with high end guns is the more you shoot them and wear occurs the value drops. the difference between a 98% and 94% python is going to be a few hundred dollars. i haven't looked in a while but shooter grade pythons are probably $800-$1000. maybe buy one of these as the damage is done for the most part. and yes colt's were more prone to timing issues. they sure are pretty but also a lot of dead presidents.......

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
where do you see them for that price?? I haven't seen them for any lower than $1900.
And as high as 5-6k if you can find a NIB

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
yes it is.Im not sure about 2k sexy,but ide take it for 1k

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have two,a 4" that I bought 25yrs ago for$400,and a 6 inch that I picked up 2 weeks ago [mint] for $1200.They are a great handgun,pull back the hammer on one and see how smooth it is.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I, personally, couldn't buy one. Not that I wouldn't. I don't think it would ever leave the safe, LOL. Same reason I couldn't buy a Les Baer 1911; for the money, I could never shoot it. I'd be too paranoid. And the idea of having a gun I'd never take out is just sad.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I've got a 6in. baught new in1979 had Colt refinish it last year due to holster wear by far the finest revolver I own every one I know that had one and sold it missed it badly unless they are gun brokers

·
Registered
91 Posts
Ive always wanted one but at the prices I doubt it will happen. Ill be happy with my Ruger GP100 6" for now. The 6' Pythons are my favorite gun ever.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ive always wanted one but at the prices I doubt it will happen. Ill be happy with my Ruger GP100 6" for now. The 6' Pythons are my favorite gun ever.
I think that the direction I'm gonna go. Real nice gun for the money's!

·
Registered
157 Posts
The Pythons are the "Cadillac" of wheel guns...prices are over the top...other brands will perform almost as well or the same...but, there is something about having one or two :)

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Hell ya,ide even take one of these over a python if i could find one.Always liked these alot.

Dan Wesson Revolvers

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts