New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just reading an article on the Gun Digest site that stated "Colt now even offers a rifle that will allow you change from 5.56 to 7.62 simply and easily." Can anyone give me more on this weapon, model number for instance?

Thanks

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Any up to spec AR lower receiver should work with any up to spec upper receiver in any of the dozens calibers available in the AR-15 platform from pistol, rifle and even 410 shotgun. Same thing with the AR-10 / DPMS lowers within the short action portfolio.
So nothing new, I guess.

·
Head Fapper
1,216 Posts
Any up to spec AR lower receiver should work with any up to spec upper receiver in any of the dozens calibers available in the AR-15 platform from pistol, rifle and even 410 shotgun. Same thing with the AR-10 / DPMS lowers within the short action portfolio.
So nothing new, I guess.
With this new Colt rifle, it'll easily change from 5.56 up to 7.62x51 though. So going from a super-short action to short action easily. Very cool IMO.
Colt LE901-16S

Only issue I see is that it'll only accept Colt uppers. It's essentially like a magwell adapter similar to that one company that makes the 2pc lower receiver for swapping calibers that'll use AK mags and what not.

·
Registered
466 Posts
So nothing new, I guess.
This is actually very new. Switching from 308 (7.62x51) to 223 (5.56x45) in the SAME lower reciever is something I have not seen til now.
Colt's SP901 is a .308 that with the use of a caliber conversion block accepts standard ar15/m16/m4 uppers. Perhaps you should check it out so you know whats going on.

George

·
Registered
4,994 Posts

·
Registered
4,994 Posts

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Ohh. I see now. yes! I saw that before in a magazine. Thanks for sharing!
Interesting but do not talk about weight penalty due to the extra meat.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts