New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up this beauty from my buddy's awesome gunshop in florida. Just came in from a collectors widow. Apparently she had a bunch of guns and no clue what she had. Other than some dust id rate this at 95% because it has been fired but seems very little
Best part is the serial#. Its MH 00107X. That's pretty damn low. I wont tell what I paid but im wondering what she is worth. Everything is original colt. Has the arms-m16a1a2 scope mount, a2 flash Hider

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Most excellent but no idea on value.
In regard to it appearing to have been fired, coming from the factory that way would not be out of the question.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Can you provide photos of the other side?

I would be interested to see if it has the raised-fence and is drilled-for-detent. Might be able to ditch the double-headed screw and install a front push pin.

Either way, congrats. Prebans pretty much have to come in from out-of-state nowadays.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Is that a small hole drilled into the horoizontal rib just aft of the pivot pin/screw by about 3/8" or a picture anomoly?

If an actual hole then its likely the detent and spring hole is drilled too.

The small hole was for drainage and a place to break the spring for service on the original pivot pin arrangement.
(solid pin, no hole to put punch through to push detent back. you broke the spring or did one of those goofy allen wrench grind jobs to try and get into the track in the pin to lever detent back)

Now its treated pretty much as a drainage and lube port.
(though why no one has drilled a hole into the pistol grip or just above it on the receiver to lube the selector spring is beyond me...)

·
Registered
528 Posts
No problem if you want to leave it the way it came.

If it has a small hole in the raised fence (as described by Tifosi), it means you can modernize the receiver by adding a captured front push pin (pivot pin used to hold the receivers together), like milspec receivers and modern AR receivers.

Also, it appears that your lower receiver does not have a sear block, so very nice find indeed.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
VEry nice fined, what part of Florida?

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Query regarding the bolt release button when you get home:
Is it a (1) fine pitch slotted ping~pong paddle with square nub on the bottom (where you can hold to lock the bolt back) with a smooth ramp down to the bottom nub or (2) a grooved ramp down to the nub, or, (3) just paddle with smooth ramp and no nub at all?

3 is the oldest version catch mechanism
2 is an intermediate design (late 60's~early 70's~ish but don't quote me on that)
1 is a modern version (some makers use a wide pitch grooving now)

Purely a curiosity rather than anything as the S# 'should' be able to chase down year of model, but mabe not so much for year of manufacture.

EDIT
And just because I'm on a short roll:
From TM 9~1005~249~23&P Nov 1983, pg 3~65 (as part of repair/modify section) and pg E~2 (illustrated list of manufactured tools) tool to press back detent on original captured takedown pins.
View attachment 7593 View attachment 7594

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ill look when I get home.. I don't recall off memory. I have owned it for a day now

Query regarding the bolt release button when you get home:
Is it a (1) fine pitch slotted ping~pong paddle with square nub on the bottom (where you can hold to lock the bolt back) with a smooth ramp down to the bottom nub or (2) a grooved ramp down to the nub, or, (3) just paddle with smooth ramp and no nub at all?

3 is the oldest version catch mechanism
2 is an intermediate design (late 60's~early 70's~ish but don't quote me on that)
1 is a modern version (some makers use a wide pitch grooving now)

Purely a curiosity rather than anything as the S# 'should' be able to chase down year of model, but mabe not so much for year of manufacture.

EDIT
And just because I'm on a short roll:
From TM 9~1005~249~23&P Nov 1983, pg 3~65 (as part of repair/modify section) and pg E~2 (illustrated list of manufactured tools) tool to press back detent on original captured takedown pins.
View attachment 7593 View attachment 7594

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Im gonna have to pick option 1 after blowing up image on my DROID. Slotted paddle. Smooth down to a squarish looking nub
15 slots to be exact lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts