New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This model 22 1911 caught my eye being govt replica. It seems alot like what my father had in vietnam as a side arm.

but in 22 which is cheaper to shoot and plink around with. I see the mag is 12 rounds. Cant hurt to ask as I didnt see it in my research but...by chance to they make a NY compliant one ie 10 rounds. ( stupid NY)

If not any other NY compliant 1911 A1 look a likes that are nice out there for decent price?

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
GSG, I guess...but I really don't see the point of a .22lr 1911 in the first place. It's a piece of American history--seems like a crime to own one in anything but .45cal.

·
Formerly SRV1
4,720 Posts
GSG, I guess...but I really don't see the point of a .22lr 1911 in the first place. It's a piece of American history--seems like a crime to own one in anything but .45cal.
You would buy an AR in 22 caliber so what is the difference?

·
Registered
466 Posts
Their are many 22lr 1911s out there to chose from. GSG, Umarex, Sig Sauer (gsg), Kimber. Or you can buy yourself a real 1911 and pick up a conversion kit for cheap shooting. This is the option I would recommend. Buy a Colt or a Springfield for under $1k and through a 22 kit on top if you want.

George

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
You would buy an AR in 22 caliber so what is the difference?
No, I wouldn't buy a .22lr AR-15, either. That's why I have my Marlin 60

·
Formerly SRV1
4,720 Posts
Their are many 22lr 1911s out there to chose from. GSG, Umarex, Sig Sauer (gsg), Kimber. Or you can buy yourself a real 1911 and pick up a conversion kit for cheap shooting. This is the option I would recommend. Buy a Colt or a Springfield for under $1k and through a 22 kit on top if you want.

George
These conversion kits most of the time do not fit. The price you spend on the conversion kit, you can have a whole new gun that is designed for the 22.

·
Formerly SRV1
4,720 Posts
No, I wouldn't buy a .22lr AR-15, either. That's why I have my Marlin 60
Do you have 30 rounds at your disposal or just 14/18? I too have the 60 but with an AR platform you can do a whole lot more. Would you buy a 1911 in a 9mm, 10mm, 40 cal or 38 super? People forget that the 1911 platform itself it very ergonomic so why not build other calibers on that platform? They do for the AR as well. I'm not saying you have to like it but saying that anything but a 45 cal 1911 is a crime is wrong. The platform itself survived over 100 years for a reason.

James

·
Registered
420 Posts
I hate a GSG in .22 cal for the shear sake of cheap ammunition, they work well, the mags are particularly nice as they are all metal (chippara arms are very cheap in this regard), my only beef is that you should use CCI minimags, as they like a hotter round (1350fps) for the blowback of the slide (which is lightweight but still has a ways to move.

And yes I have a 1911 in .45 cal, I'd love to shoot it everyday, but I can get 50 rounds of .45 for what i can get 400 rounds in .22 cal.....the targets seem to appreciate the .22 better (the .45's blow big darn holes in it while the .22 nicks it)

·
Registered
69 Posts
I like the idea of cheaper shooting, but if I'm going to shoot a 1911 I want it to feel like I'm shooting a 1911, so that means something more than .22. But if someone at the range had one I would definitely enjoy shooting it.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
real reason is I have P.O. sorta from the wife for a cheaper 1911 a1 in 22. Cuz cheaper and she can shoot it. she will only shoot a 22. For now. workng on her but atleast she shoots.

SOMEDAY a REAL vietnam area a1 govt model like my dad had in the war. that is what I want after NY colleges finishing taking my money~~

Hey, I like ati and Rochester is sorta hometown. are they the only dealers of GSG or what. website seems to be down and dont know if other dealers have it or have to go to ati gunstore on scottsville rd???

·
Registered
353 Posts
I have a Sig Sauer 1911 .22. Basically the same as a GSG except for the branding and colors. I have a shot at least 800 hundred rounds through it with with very little problems....underpowered ammo will cause the slide to short stroke. CCI blazer works well for 'cheaper' ammunition and its dead nuts accurate at 10, 15 and 25 yards. I would recommend the Sig/GSG.
photo(22).jpg

1 - 14 of 14 Posts