New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
2,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys......Anyone know where I can snag some colored lower assembly parts ?? I need them all in Dark Earth.....

Takedown Pin
Pivot Pin
Mag Catch
Bolt Catch

Thanks...!

· Registered
2,107 Posts
you'll have to coat them yourself with duracoat or some other similar firearms coating. The only colors if seen or the chrome coated (silver) and Ti coated (gold) ones and then your typical gray ones

· Registered
2,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anyway......Back to biz.....I thought about duracoat but I am not sure if that will leave too much build up.....The mag catch and bolt catch should be ok,but i'm not sure about the takedown pins,if they will still fit the holes or not,they have a pretty tight tolerance...

· Registered
2,534 Posts
Takedown & pivot pins can be delt with through powdercoat.
Simply have the coaters mask the body & detent groove portion and leave the flat of the small end and full head exposed.
They make a special heat proof tape for just exactly that purpose and would require no more effort than a single wrap around the pin(s) + a wee little 'tab' on the pivot pin masking to cover the flat side of the head where the detent groove ends.

The other bits could be PC'd too actually.
May require a bit of fitment upon assembly unless they too were masked, but would certainly end up more durable than any home applied coating or paint.
Well, unless you have a powdercoating rig at home, in which case its a moot point.

· Registered
2,099 Posts
My Choice would be Molly resin.

· Registered
2,099 Posts
Does it adhere well at/on corners and edges?
Yea it does, it is much thinner than duracoat. I works great on steel, even better if you park it first. It is as good as the surface you put it on.

· Registered
2,107 Posts
Anyway......Back to biz.....I thought about duracoat but I am not sure if that will leave too much build up.....The mag catch and bolt catch should be ok,but i'm not sure about the takedown pins,if they will still fit the holes or not,they have a pretty tight tolerance...
or you can mask off the body and just paint the ends that you see

· Registered
9,700 Posts
I have used Duracoat on these parts before and smooth parts like the pins need to be abraded well especially the mag release button which is usually aluminum. The parked parts just need degreasing. If its a range gun it will last forever. The Duracoat Magpul FDE is not an exact match I found out the hard way, it's lighter. You can always do all the furniture too so it matches. Brownells alumahyde 2 in coyote is an exact match to magpul, no airbrush needed but you have to let it dry for a week before its totally cured. Hope this helps you out Raven!

· Registered
2,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have used Duracoat on these parts before and smooth parts like the pins need to be abraded well especially the mag release button which is usually aluminum. The parked parts just need degreasing. If its a range gun it will last forever. The Duracoat Magpul FDE is not an exact match I found out the hard way, it's lighter. You can always do all the furniture too so it matches. Brownells alumahyde 2 in coyote is an exact match to magpul, no airbrush needed but you have to let it dry for a week before its totally cured. Hope this helps you out Raven!
Thanks Gun.......Good info......

· Registered
2,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I talked to John the owner of John Norell's and I am going to send the parts out to him to have them re-finished in Moly-Resin.....That is a really tough,but thin coating so I won't have to be concerned about a thicker coating possibly causing problems when I assemble my lower.....Thanks for the input guys I appreciate it...! Here is the link to that Moly-Resin if any of you are interested.....

John Norrell Arms

· Registered
2,099 Posts
I have been using Mollyresin for the past year it is great stuff for sure.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.