New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
" + artTitle.replace("-","") + " - " + "The Stylus" + "

There is a link to a piece I just read the other day about conceal carry on campus. I go to school over here at SUNY Brockport and I do get the feeling alot of people here aren't the most gun friendly, and this article supports that idea, ha! I'm not sure of my stance on the whole topic (I lean heavily towards allowing it) but I feel this article is pretty biased. I mean, here is the first line in the article!

"College. Ah, there's just nothing like it - challenging studies, new-found friends, school-spirited sports, wild parties and 9 mm semi-automatic-wielding hot-heads. Wait, one of those doesn't seem to fit in the equation. Can you guess which one?"

After that I knew where this piece was going......

Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Just like a typical anti -- they can't imagine any normal person wanting to carry a firearm so they stereotype anybody that desires to do so as a "hot-head" or some other random insult of the week. Why attack the idea when you can attack the people instead?

I liked this bit too:

Am I missing something here? Are we losing our logic, our ability to reason? A college campus is one of the last places on Earth where the general public should be allowed to pack heat; it's a close third on the list, right below child day care centers and psychiatric facilities.
What's wrong with guns in day care? I'd rather have my child at a day care center that's equipped to defend him if the worst happens. I'd grant the point on psychiatric facilities (New York State law prohibits the possession of a firearm at any facility licensed by OMH) but is there something special about day care that should preclude the possession of firearms? I'm not seeing it....

Supporters of the Texas bill will tell you that concealed carry is already an established law and to get a permit, there is an age requirement (21 years of age), background checks and training involved. Also, if you are mentally ill or have a history of violent crime and/or drug and alcohol abuse, you won't get a permit.

But the fact of the matter is that many psychological disorders do not become apparent until the college-age years. And just because someone has not been caught in the act of a violent crime, or never attended a drug rehabilitation program, doesn't mean he or she hasn't committed such a crime or isn't a heavy drug user. So, this argument just doesn't hold water.
Guilty until proven innocent. Another classical anti argument.

He makes one valid point -- many psychological disorders don't show up until the late teens/early 20s (just ask my schizophrenic friend who seemed perfectly normal until he turned 22 and had a break from reality) but so what? The portion of the population that has such disorders is less than 1%

Only with "gun control" do people suggest denying >99% of the population a right because of the potential actions of <1% of the population. If we translated this idea into other avenues of public policy we would mandate that all automobiles come with alcohol interlock systems because of drunk driving. We should also outlaw peanut butter because some small portion of the population is allergic to it.

·
Registered
556 Posts
i agree that there should be people allowed to carry in colleges. The one problem i see is that there are alot of dumb asses out there that cc permit and guns but have no knowledge of the safe handling of guns and that would scare the **** out of me if that person ever did have to use it and could potentially hurt or kill someone innocent. not to mention there would be a rise in people who get their cc permit just to carry in schools which kind of presses on my previous point, they will get one just because they can but will lack the proper training.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts