New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter is headed off to college. She will be attending a college about 1.5 hours away from home, down in Westchester. Has anyone here gone through making plans for a SHTF situation and what to do about your kids away from home?

I have talked to her and said if there is a major event and we cannot communicate, I will do everything in my power to get down to her but it may not be possible. In the event that you (she) leaves the school, be sure to head north towards home and leave a note in your refrigerator as to where you went.

I have mapped out non-highway routes to the school as well.

I know it could be difficult to get to her. Any ideas would be appreciated.

~V~

·
Registered
9,902 Posts
Get a pair of decent FRS radios with a 1-2 mile range (pretty cheap) and a supply of dedicated batteries. Pre-arrange your emergency frequencies. If you get to within a mile of one another it'll be easier to locate one another. Cell phone towers can be down but FRS radios are dedicated service.

Use common AA or AAA batteries, not rechargeable batteries.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
My son is in a similar situation in CT about 1.5 hours away. While I haven't put together a BOB for him I have tried to get him to adhere to a couple simple rules:
- keep gas tank full (don't let it get below 1/2 tank ever) so he always has plenty to get home
- gave him a good road atlas and taught him how to use it so he can stay off highways if need be and work his way home ( I should prob create a couple predetermined alternate routes to get home as well)
- in the event of a major event get in car and get home fast before roads shut down (my BIL was near Wall St on 9/11 and was able to get a subway to GCT and train to Beacon before everything shut down)
- made sure he knows how to change a tire
- phone chargers in car

I will have to get on BOB before he goes back. I like the idea of radios as well.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My son is in a similar situation in CT about 1.5 hours away. While I haven't put together a BOB for him I have tried to get him to adhere to a couple simple rules:
- keep gas tank full (don't let it get below 1/2 tank ever) so he always has plenty to get home
- gave him a good road atlas and taught him how to use it so he can stay off highways if need be and work his way home ( I should prob create a couple predetermined alternate routes to get home as well)
- in the event of a major event get in car and get home fast before roads shut down (my BIL was near Wall St on 9/11 and was able to get a subway to GCT and train to Beacon before everything shut down)
- made sure he knows how to change a tire
- phone chargers in car

I will have to get on BOB before he goes back. I like the idea of radios as well.
Unfortunately she is a freshman and is not allowed to have a car until her Junior year.

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
Haven't had to go through this yet. Oldest will be starting junior year of HS in a couple of weeks, so all the choices about college will be starting soon. The main problem being that oldest isn't interested in anything I try to tell her. If she goes to school locally, she will be closer to me than her mom, so it's actually a bit easier.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Unfortunately she is a freshman and is not allowed to have a car until her Junior year.
How close will she be to a train line (Harlem or Hudson)? One option to consider if close is to hop a train north as far as possible - I believe Harlem line ends at Wassaic (north of Brewster) and Hudson line at Poughkeepsie. Gets her closer to you assuming lines still running. Chances are trains will continue running OUT of the city longer than into the city IMO. She can keep a ticket in her wallet or BOB at all times. Otherwise if she already has a car perhaps you can find cheap long term parking in vicinity of school that she can walk to.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts