New York Firearms Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a S&W M&P15 OR yesterday and was wondering if I can legally un-pin my stock and re-pin it in a position other than the one it is in? If so how?

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
I am pretty sure if you take the stock off of the rifle before unpinning it you are fine. I have not done it but heard that you can just drill the pin out of the stock.

I am sure someone else will be able to chime in with more details on how to unpin and pin the stock.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
yeah id just take the upper receiver off and do it.. if you want to make sure your being legal.. guns not semi auto without the upper receiver

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Some of your local gun shops can probably do it for around $15.00,that's what my guy here charges anyway.....If you don't have the resources to do it call around,i'm sure you can probably find someone close to you......I REALLY like how some shops do it.......Walk in,decide on a rifle,position the stock where it fit's you best then they slap a pin in it....They should all do it that way...

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Personally I think you'll be fine if you take the upper receiver off of the rifle first but technically I think if the stock is attached to the lower receiver it is still considered to be non-compliant as the lower receiver, even if stripped, is considered the "gun". At that point, you would have a gun with detachable mag, pistol grip and collapsable stock in your possession, even though you cannot fire it without the upper receiver, but we are still talking about NY, right? Personally I would have no problem going for it, but strictly speaking your best bet would be to remove the stock from the lower receiver first.

·
Head Fapper
1,216 Posts
Realistically, if you're doing it yourself, it won't really matter. You're in the privacy of your own home, gunsmithing your own rifle, and although you'd be breaking the law for minutes, I highly doubt NYSP will be breaking down your door at that time. If they did, you'd most likely have much bigger problems than a collapsible stock.

Also, it's much more easier to work on the stock when it's detached. So just take the stock assembly off and do it that way.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
I would error on the side of caution as well......You never know these days,and like a post-ban hi cap mag,it's a felony....:(

·
Premium Member
4,398 Posts
Some of your local gun shops can probably do it for around $15.00,that's what my guy here charges anyway.....If you don't have the resources to do it call around,i'm sure you can probably find someone close to you......I REALLY like how some shops do it.......Walk in,decide on a rifle,position the stock where it fit's you best then they slap a pin in it....They should all do it that way...
Unless they are a mfg. that's actually illegal.
It is considered manufacturing. And FFLs in NY have been busted for it.
ATF checks for this, plain clothes agents. I've already run into a few myself.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Unless they are a mfg. that's actually illegal.
It is considered manufacturing. And FFLs in NY have been busted for it.
ATF checks for this, plain clothes agents. I've already run into a few myself.
how can it be illegal to repin a stock to a new position? even if its off the lower?

·
Premium Member
4,398 Posts
how can it be illegal to repin a stock to a new position? even if its off the lower?
For a regular FFL to remove a stock , install a stock or modify one. It's considered manufacturing.
A well known FFL from LI got busted for manufacturing without a license. If someone brings a rifle to a dealer that needs a stock installed or modified then they can, as it's then considered gunsmithing. But again they would need a gunsmith to do the work.

Deimos, I DO know what I'm talking about on this. Isn't Internet rumor.

·
Premium Member
4,398 Posts
FFL gets customer in with stock that needs to be pinned or reprinned, fine, as long as its a customers gun.

If FFL gets non compliant rifle but then says choose a stock position and we will pin it ....that's manufacturing.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Personally I think you'll be fine if you take the upper receiver off of the rifle first but technically I think if the stock is attached to the lower receiver it is still considered to be non-compliant as the lower receiver, even if stripped, is considered the "gun". At that point, you would have a gun with detachable mag, pistol grip and collapsable stock in your possession, even though you cannot fire it without the upper receiver, but we are still talking about NY, right? Personally I would have no problem going for it, but strictly speaking your best bet would be to remove the stock from the lower receiver first.
I does not matter if it is a gun with a detatchable mag... It is not Semi Auto without the upper reciever.. and for the AWB it has to be a semi Auto firearm

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
I does not matter if it is a gun with a detatchable mag... It is not Semi Auto without the upper reciever.. and for the AWB it has to be a semi Auto firearm
Well, my brother in law is deputy sheriff and told me when mine was being built with upper off that I was not in compliance. Doesn't matter if he was right or wrong, point is its up the the cop who finds it whether to arrest you or not and then for the DA and judge to go from there. Still a risk of a major hassle whether it is lawful or not. Then again, like I said in my post, I'm fine with it and don't think anyone would have a problem doing it with the upper off.

·
Registered
241 Posts
FFL gets customer in with stock that needs to be pinned or reprinned, fine, as long as its a customers gun.

If FFL gets non compliant rifle but then says choose a stock position and we will pin it ....that's manufacturing.
thanks dieter122 for the info and clarification

·
Premium Member
4,398 Posts
Well, my brother in law is deputy sheriff and told me when mine was being built with upper off that I was not in compliance. Doesn't matter if he was right or wrong, point is its up the the cop who finds it whether to arrest you or not and then for the DA and judge to go from there. Still a risk of a major hassle whether it is lawful or not. Then again, like I said in my post, I'm fine with it and don't think anyone would have a problem doing it with the upper off.
Because you are indeed right cgrutt
Even a lower by itself detached from any upper still needs a stock that's non collapsible.
In NY you won't find any dealer willing to sell a post ban lower with a working collapsing stock, except to exempt persons

·
Registered
449 Posts
I had to do this to mine, the stock was just a little to long for me. So I had to drill out the pins and then re adjusted it to my length, then took a drill bit the size of the holes, and cut the bit to the proper length, then epoxied the pins in the stock and then put epoxy over the holes... she's not going anywhere lol.

I however took the whole stock assembly off the lower, was just easier that way.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I had to do this to mine, the stock was just a little to long for me. So I had to drill out the pins and then re adjusted it to my length, then took a drill bit the size of the holes, and cut the bit to the proper length, then epoxied the pins in the stock and then put epoxy over the holes... she's not going anywhere lol.

I however took the whole stock assembly off the lower, was just easier that way.
Do you have any pictures of the job?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Do you have any pictures of the job?
Sorry, I do not. It's really not that hard to do. Just take a drill bit a little larger than the drift pin(s) and take your time and drill the pins out. Then re-adjust the stock to your length. Then I went to the local hardware store and bought two drill bits the same size as the two holes. Then I broke the bits to the proper length, covered them in epoxy, put them in the stock. When that was dried I made sure it didnt move, then covered the holes with epoxy.

From the time it took me to start drilling to the time the pins were out, was about 20 minutes. I cant say enough take your time drilling. One slight tweek in the drill, and you will break the drill bit... most likely inside the stock.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.