New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm sure you've all heard the urban legends and myths of 12 gauge shotgun shells filled with dimes. Has anyone ever tried this? Is it even legal? I would assume that the spread would be out of control and unpredictable, and practically useless at any kind of distance. But at close range, I imagine it would be pretty devastating. Although I don't think I'd want to do that to my barrel.
I've read through some other internet debates on this topic before, Interested to know what you all think.

· Registered
8,557 Posts
I imagine you would want a barrel that is cylinder bore otherwise you may havea blunder buss frontend when you are finished. I have seen some guys do that but I prefer to load rock salt it is cheaper. lol

· Registered
13,297 Posts
I must admit, I did a double-take when I saw the title of this thread. Still, the money shot I suppose, lol. I digress.

OK, back on topic. Wouldn't want to face a jury of my peers after having to use that load in a self-defense or home invasion scenario. There are plenty of factory loads available for that purpose without drawing your intent to make "devastating" rounds into the mix. Still, probably fun to try on private property with your buddies just to see what happens and say you did, I suppose.

· Registered
3,611 Posts
I was thinking the same thing about going before a jury and trying to defend why there are just pieces of the suspect left!!
I think I'll stick to something that is factory loaded and not have to answer the question other than to say; "he was moving at me in an agressive stage, and I felt threatened"! Probably be a lot better for you.
Hey... just one man's $.02!!

· Registered
1,100 Posts
ive seen this done live by a bubba neighbor of mine at camp.... (bubba = guys who do less than brilliant things with firearms)

he used some type of washer, not dimes. he ran 5 rounds and dropped a pretty thick tree so i guess they worked, but at same time i would not consider these viable inside a structure

· Registered
13,297 Posts
I was thinking the same thing about going before a jury and trying to defend why there are just pieces of the suspect left!!
I think I'll stick to something that is factory loaded and not have to answer the question other than to say; "he was moving at me in an agressive stage, and I felt threatened"! Probably be a lot better for you.
Hey... just one man's $.02!!
More than one man's $0.02. Alot of wisdom in those words...

· Registered
4,105 Posts
It was covered on the Box 'o truth a long time ago. I love that site.

The Box O' Truth #35 - A Load of Dimes Vs. The Box O' Truth - Page 1

The wrap up from the page
"Lessons learned:
1. Dimes are much too light in weight and un-aerodynamic to fly very far, no matter how fast they are started.
2. They do not spread out as much as some expected.
3. Dimes do not penetrate enough, even at close range, to reach the vital organs of a goblin and STOP a fight.
4. It only costs about $1.60 a shot to have some fun shooting stuff with dimes."

· Registered
2,982 Posts
I must admit, I did a double-take when I saw the title of this thread. Still, the money shot I suppose, lol. I digress.

OK, back on topic. Wouldn't want to face a jury of my peers after having to use that load in a self-defense or home invasion scenario. There are plenty of factory loads available for that purpose without drawing your intent to make "devastating" rounds into the mix. Still, probably fun to try on private property with your buddies just to see what happens and say you did, I suppose.
The burgler did say gimmi da money

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.