New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going in to get my prints done tomorrow and I was going to bring in a bill of sale from my uncle for the kel-tec and my 1911 that he has on his permit. When I brought the forms to him to sign he asked me about putting them on both of our permits. I don't remember what needed to be done but he wanted to have the 3 of his guns on both permits in the event of something happening to either one of us(not likely to happen but it could).

We would be "sharing" 2 S&W revolvers, a Kel-tec p11, and a Taurus pt1911(which I actually own).

Does anyone know what kind of letter would need to be written?

I ___________________________ grant permission to ______________________ to co-own and have the following pistols on his permit
1)Make:_________ Model________ Caliber:________ Action:________ Serial #:________
2)Make:_________ Model________ Caliber:________ Action:________ Serial #:________
3)Make:_________ Model________ Caliber:________ Action:________ Serial #:________
4)Make:_________ Model________ Caliber:________ Action:________ Serial #:________

Signature____________________________
Date:____________________________
Permit #___________________________

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
First you need to make sure your county allows co-owning pistols. Some do, some don't. Then you would need to find out what your county requires in the bill of sale/letter of authorization. Different in each county. Some require it to be notarized, some don't.

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
In Orange Cty, its just an amendment form, no letter required. I think its a good idea so long as you trust each other. I have my pistols on my wife's permit should something happen to me she can hold on to them until my son is old enough for a permit.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First you need to make sure your county allows co-owning pistols. Some do, some don't. Then you would need to find out what your county requires in the bill of sale/letter of authorization. Different in each county. Some require it to be notarized, some don't.
Dutchess county allows co-ownership(most commonly between spouses) but they don't really specify since we both live at the same address and both guns would be stored in the same location. (since both of us would be able to access the pistols is a reason that we were going to get them on both permits as well because they say that only the permit holder should be able to access the pistols.

from another forum:
It's pretty common between family members: husband/wife, parents/children, etc. Taking it off one permit to put in on another is only necessary when you sell the gun to someone and no longer own it. When it is between family members, you still own it but the other person is authorized to carry it.

In my NRA class, they strongly recommended doing that if your household has more than one permit holder: put everybody's guns on everybody's permit. They cited a case where a man was taken to the hospital after a car accident, and his wife (who was also in the car but wasn't hurt) wanted to take possession of the handgun that he had on him at the time of the accident. She had her own permit, but his gun wasn't listed on her permit, so the cops wouldn't let her take it. They confiscated it instead, and he had to reclaim it when he got out of the hospital.
They call it "co-own" in Dutchess. You have to either both go to the Pistol Permit office and sign the forms, or bring a letter from your spouse agreeing to "co-ownership" of the gun in order to put it on your permit. The accident/hospital scenario is quite accurate, and also in the unfortunate event that there is a death - this allows the spouse or other co-owner to take the gun collection hassle free.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In Orange Cty, its just an amendment form, no letter required. I think its a good idea so long as you trust each other. I have my pistols on my wife's permit should something happen to me she can hold on to them until my son is old enough for a permit.
I trust my uncle. He is a retired Westchester County Narcotics Officer. And if he would consider letting me have his pistols on my permit then he trusts me because he wouldn't agree to that if he had a single doubt about it.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We are in the same household actually. Both of us live at the same address. (he lives in the upper half of the house I live in the lower half)

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
If the gun stays in the family (housband and wife, parents and son/doughter, etc) is one thing but the idea of a timeshare on firearms is not going to stick in most places.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How would it be a timeshare? They're both in the same place I spend more time with my uncle than I do with my parents lol. But we live in the same house so I didn't see a problem with that.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
But just got my prints done! Now I play the waiting game. Hopefully a month like some other people have.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
How would it be a timeshare? They're both in the same place I spend more time with my uncle than I do with my parents lol. But we live in the same house so I didn't see a problem with that.
I didn't mean your case specifically but in case someone gets the idea that this is something lightly taken. It is a big responsibility.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I think this would be a good question for me to ask the clerk when I pick up my permit.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I didn't mean your case specifically but in case someone gets the idea that this is something lightly taken. It is a big responsibility.
Ohhhh ok I thought this was directed towards me haha.

anyone know what to do to occupy their time while they wait?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Checked on this today and found out this is no longer allowed in Oswego County. They said there were too many hassles with it. People move away, divorce, etc...

·
Registered
687 Posts
Ohhhh ok I thought this was directed towards me haha.

anyone know what to do to occupy their time while they wait?
Load ammo !!! and get ready

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is 100% NOT CORRECT. Orange County requires a Notarized letter stating all the pertinent info of the pistol to be co owned as well as Photo Copies of the original owner permit. (Front and Back)

I just did this last week.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Not sure where you are but this is what is required in Monroe County. The form is online... http://www.monroecounty.gov/Image/Consent Form.pdf My dad and I are considering the same process for similar reasons. Good luck!
My son and I did this for our pistols. The other benefit is that either of us are able to shoot any of the pistols without needing to have the other one present. Somehow it is turning into him selling his and just shooting mine, but that's a different issue.... :)

LMS

·
Registered
5,053 Posts
Checked on this today and found out this is no longer allowed in Oswego County. They said there were too many hassles with it. People move away, divorce, etc...
did you check with the Oswego County clerk?
weird, i emailed them today asking the same and will await their answer.
especially since the situation i'm asking about involves co-owning with one owner in one county and the other in Oswego. I would think that this isn't legal, but how the heck would the clerk/judge ever know? NOT advised or a good situation to be in

1 - 20 of 31 Posts