New York Firearms Forum banner

CNN - "At Colt, no apologies for arming America."

2K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  waldershrek 
#1 · (Edited)
#6 ·
#8 ·
The article is actually a pretty decent read. Sadly the author, who by his own admission has been a hunter since 10, is subtly supporting a restriction to our rights. The quotes by Colt's CEO and it's employees are the things the gun grabbers and gun control advocates should be focused on.

Oh, and F*** CNN!

#11 ·
Agreed.. at least the author seems to know something about guns, vernacular and nomenclature and he did his research..Overall--fsurprising coming from CNN--with the exception of the title, i thought it was a pretty fair story. In all probability, the title was the work of an editor since i don't find that line in the story. And i detest CNN

#9 ·
CNN can eff off. I demand an apology from all mainstream media outlets for pushing an agenda that restricts the rights of Americans.

News is supposed to be impartial. Reporting only facts with no hidden agenda.

#14 · (Edited)
I'm no fan of CNN, but the title and comment in the OP was a little misleading, to be fair to the article. The article was really about Colt not apologizing for the acts of a tiny lunatic few, and that society needs to take more responsibility for preventing violence. CNN "demanding" an apology from Colt for the Newtown massacre is not mentioned anywhere in that artice.

Did the public expect Boeing to apologize for their planes crashing into the World Trade Centers? It's people who are responsible for these wrongdoings, the manufacturer is in no way responsible. The ones who should be apologizing are already dead (in most cases), or too insane to realize what they did and who they hurt. That is the point the article drove home (IMHO), don't always judge a book by its cover.

I thought there were several great quotes in the article, and overall it was a good read.

CNN said:
A Vietnam veteran, Spring grew up in nearby Essex. Back then, a shooting club met after school on Tuesdays. On those mornings, he'd hop on the school bus with his .22-caliber rifle.

"Now, if you took a rifle on a school bus, I don't even want to think of what would happen," he said. "The world has definitely changed."

Like many here, he bristles when people refer to the AR-15 as an assault rifle. "Any weapon that you pick up and assault somebody with is an assault weapon. I don't care if it's a typewriter or a chair or a table," he said.

"If the AR-15 was responsible for Sandy Hook, then airplanes are responsible for the World Trade Center. Isn't that one and the same?" he said. "It's the people that do it, not the guns."

#15 ·
Not a bad article really. The author actually made clear the distinction between an automatic weapon and a semiautomatic and spelled out that AR-15 didn't stand for "assault rifle." Although the headline was a bit over the top, we often criticize the news media for not being factually accurate about firearms. (Piers Morgan, are you listening?) When a reporter goes out of their way to be factually accurate we should give him credit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.