New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
2,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always had a fascination with the Vietnam War and am looking to either build or buy the closest AR replica of a Vietnam War era M-16 I can find.......Suggestions or pictures anyone ??? Thanks a bunch !

· Registered
8,557 Posts
Ordnance Depot in Daleville, Alabama had a few Vietnam era ARs hanging on the wall when I was down there earlier this year. Their number is 334-598-9066, he also has quite a few preban mags.

· Registered
1,051 Posts
There was just a near mint SP1, '82, on Pennswoods for $950.

· Premium Member
4,405 Posts
3 prong flash hider?
Branson brake. Looks like an A1 flash hider except it has a closed end on it. There are no muzzle devices that look like 3 prongs but are legal muzzle brakes.

Its a very nicely built AR. The guy took the time to get the right parts for it, no doubt about it.

The pictures are crappy I apologize. The flash went off and it looks a bit two tone. But in reality the upper/lower finish matches perfectly I think.

· Registered
2,534 Posts
Buttstock needs the floppy sling mount and no trapdoor.
Can't tell from pic but fine pitch knurling on bolt release paddle and no nubbin on the bottom would be more correct to a slabside repro

Gotta wonder if a talented welder could put basically a washer or heavy ring on the end face/tips of a 3~prong to convert it to a brake.
Its legit with that 'A1' Branson type so can't see how it would differ on a pronger.
If successful it would also have the side benifit of completely removing the desire to try and open a soup can or cut barbed wire with it
:D

@defilade
The XM and #'d series rifles and carbines were never rattle traps when new.
If anything they were tighter in general tolerance and over the decades we've worked out where things can be free'd up.
The ones that still survive in service (yes, they are indeed out there) might be a bit bag 'o boltsy now, but I imagine a NIB today Colt, BCM, DD etc. will be too after 30~40 years, tens of thousands if not 100k+ rounds and who knows how many times dropped, muddied, drowned, sanded, dusted, sat on, stepped on, leaned on, fell on, pried with, slammed in doors, slammed on doors, drug and bayonet course runs in an active duty service life.

· Registered
457 Posts
Gotta wonder if a talented welder could put basically a washer or heavy ring on the end face/tips of a 3~prong to convert it to a brake.
Its legit with that 'A1' Branson type so can't see how it would differ on a pronger.
If successful it would also have the side benifit of completely removing the desire to try and open a soup can or cut barbed wire with it
:D
I can if one needs. I weld a cover plate on, then turn the opening in a lathe centric to its bore.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.