New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wasn't quite sure where to post this but i thought i was gonna have to draw my pistol today

on the expressway on my way to my parents, cruise control set and driving in the right lane( two lane part of the highway). the on ramp lane ends i see this suv flying thinking to myself- this guy either needs to slow down or speed up if hes gonna merge cause his lane ends. he slams on his brakes i hear a screech, he gets behind me honking and flicking me off. i just ignored it, usually i will wave and smile at people who get angry while driving but i had a lot on my mind so i just let him be. he gets next to me in the left lane i look over he flicks me off then swerves left then right smashing into my car and pushes me off the road.

at this point im just like wtf just happened is this guy serious??!!

as soon as i come to a stop i call 911, as im explaining to the 911 dispatcher the guy comes up and start banging on my window, and he has his hand back like a cop would at a traffic stop. i informed 911 that i did have a pistol on me and i am permitted to do so and this guy is harrasing me what should i do?! she said stay calm and tell him to back away from your vehicle and if he doesnt stop to pull ahead to the next exit and wait for the officer. she stayed on the line with me until he went back to his vehicle and the officer showed up.

what really pisses me off is he was driving a newer car. my car is no piece of **** but its almost ten years old. and he purposely rammed me like honestly how dumb are you ? do you think its not gonna hurt your car ? and not a single car stopped to be a witness. wtf is wrong with people these days. so all said and done the trooper was very professional, i was upset that nothing in regards to road rage was done but the report stated he was at fault. and now his insurance will be fixing the damages.

the other driver left and i stayed and spoke with the officer for a few min and explained to him that i carry and was worried i might have to use it for something as stupid as this, especially with this guy being 50 something years old. the officer told me i did the right thing but if he would have persisted i would have had every right to defend myself in my car.

what went through my head was i wonder if this guy had a gun too. you never know who carries. i did notice he had a tshirt on that had that blue and red logo like MLB but with a guy holding a rifle.

im glad im ok, and im glad i didnt have to use it....... im disapointed that someone of that age could not control themselves in this situation.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
Seriously, they treated it like a traffic accident? Sounds more like attempted murder to me if you were traveling at highway speeds and he rammed you off the road. Some sort of assault at the very least. Glad you're alright.

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
Wow, wtf?! Glad you are ok. How is that not road rage or assault. It clearly was not an accident.

On a lighter note, were you driving the Subaru? ;)

·
Registered
225 Posts
WTF

Glad you showed restraint. It is not easy keeping from getting emotionally involved and keeping your cool in a situation like that.

Kudos to you Dan.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Happened to a friend of mine, guy was behind him, got out of his car after a similar road rage incident, but he did have a weapon, my buddy quickly drew his weapon opened the door, and was able to put 1 in the guys chest, I'm sure this is where everyone goes, all hell ya! right? Wrong, he ended up hitting the guy in the heart, and we was dead within seconds, he was at right when he shot, and was never charged, but the whole thing about killing this guy really stuck with him, and bothers him deeply until this day. So if you pull it, you better be ready to use it, and be ready for the aftermath.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Happened to a friend of mine, guy was behind him, got out of his car after a similar road rage incident, but he did have a weapon, my buddy quickly drew his weapon opened the door, and was able to put 1 in the guys chest, I'm sure this is where everyone goes, all hell ya! right? Wrong, he ended up hitting the guy in the heart, and we was dead within seconds, he was at right when he shot, and was never charged, but the whole thing about killing this guy really stuck with him, and bothers him deeply until this day. So if you pull it, you better be ready to use it, and be ready for the aftermath.
In all honesty, I think that you should only pull your weapon with the intent to use deadly force. I think shooting to wound or disable is a bad idea practically, and from a legal stand point. Also, if someone acting threatening has a weapon drawn, you should assume they intend to use deadly force against you, making them fair game. A situation such as the one you mentioned seems pretty clear cut to me.

Situations such as the OP's are a little more difficult when the instigator is unarmed, but he definitely did the right thing by exercising restraint and not escalating the situation.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
You can press charges if you want. He was probably carrying and you did the right thing.
If you had seen any guns pulling at you, you could have let your bullets go and be ready to do so. Good that you stayed calm.

·
Registered
451 Posts
glad your ok. thats crazy. they just let him drive away lol.

i am glad this isnt as stupid of a story as the other "close call" thread.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You can press charges if you want. He was probably carrying and you did the right thing.
If you had seen any guns pulling at you, you could have let your bullets go and be ready to do so. Good that you stayed calm.
theres no point in pressing charges, the cop said it was my word against his and he said i hit him. at least i was the first one to call 911 but what really bugs me was when the cop was like "oh its not that much damage" and i was like he did it intentionally and i want a report. he said " i doubt he did it on purpose, hes driving a new car"

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow, wtf?! Glad you are ok. How is that not road rage or assault. It clearly was not an accident.

On a lighter note, were you driving the Subaru? ;)
yes it was the subi :( but i have an appointment with the other drivers insurance company monday morning to asses the damages. on the plus side i have recent dated pics of the subi from the thread haha

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Let the insurance adjuster know how close this guy came to a permanent dirt nap. Maybe it will get back to him and it will sink in so nobody else will have to deal with this again. Probably wishful thinking on my part and he'll either end up in jail or in the ground. Sounds like a f'n jerk. Seriously, glad you did the right thing and walked away in one piece.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Glad you're alright. Say this guy comes up and start banging on your window he walks away you get out to do the insurance thing and he get a bat start walking to you and say you do pull gun he stops can you hold him at gun point till cops show up?

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Glad you're alright. Say this guy comes up and start banging on your window he walks away you get out to do the insurance thing and he get a bat start walking to you and say you do pull gun he stops can you hold him at gun point till cops show up?
Absolutely, but be ready to have the boys be drawing on you when they get there!

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
Wow it is amazing what stupid people are capable of. I am glad you weren't hurt and didnt have to use your pistol.

Couple questions out of curiousity though. How long did it take for the cop to show up after you called 911? What type of pistol were you carrying? How were you carrying the pistol?

I am glad everything worked out for you and I am amazed that he didnt get in more trouble.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I think in that situation I would drive away rather than draw. If you can flee without danger to yourself (getting shot in the back, etc.) it's a better option and unless I am mistaken in NY you have a duty to flee if you can do so.

Lets say you pull a gun on the guy with a bat and he still comes at you. (I know it sounds irrational but if you read the Armed Citizen in the NRA magazines, people do it all the time) At that point you may be forced to shoot him but it might not look so good to a grand jury between the facts that it was gun vs. bat and that you had the option (at least initially) to jump in your car and escape before he closed the distance.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts