New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Beat me to it. I wonder what will come of it as she shot him AS HE WAS LEAVING...so that would not fall under stand your ground I would think but I could be wrong. He did have her daughter but......will be interesting to see what comes of this!!

·
Registered
211 Posts
2wheeler - Not sure how it is in Florida, but I'm positive that in NY you are allowed to fire in a "forcible kidnapping" situation.

I'd have done the same thing.

(I'm not a lawyer, but I'll take the stand and say this in court for $100,000 if you need)

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Since he was trying to take her daughter I believe the shooting would be justified in any state. It seems like she was going to let him go with the money. When he tried to take her daughter it was time to act. In any case one less dirtbag to worry about.

·
Registered
712 Posts
No No you guys are right. I woulda done the same if my kid regardless.....but ok...so NY may have a "provision" for that! Good...as I figured in NY she'd be up a creek! but atleast up a creek with her daughter!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Since he was trying to take her daughter I believe the shooting would be justified in any state. It seems like she was going to let him go with the money. When he tried to take her daughter it was time to act. In any case one less dirtbag to worry about.
That's the truth. Rape, Kidnapping, and Murder, are all justified instances regardless of the state. However, Florida is a really liberal 2A state. If it's a business or your home and you feel threatened you can shoot, no questions asked.

·
Registered
211 Posts
That's the truth. Rape, Kidnapping, and Murder, are all justified instances regardless of the state.
I took the Monroe County firearm safety class they offer for free, and the officer said they had heard of stories of people "playing rape." And so he basically said you'd want to be VERY sure before you take action. However, in this story, the mother of the kid was there, knew the guy had no right to take her, and mom did the right thing. I'd think twice if it wasn't my kid and I didn't know the other guy either.

She did right, and I doubt anyone would disagree!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Yep she did right and good for her protecting her child. Like oatka said if you came onto what you think is a crime you got to do alot of quick thinking befor getting involved.

·
Registered
7,542 Posts
my personal opinion is, any prosecutor that charges this young lady with anything, should just hand in their resignation.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
It's a judged by 12/carried by 6 scenario. If someone tried to walk out the door with my kid, I'd probably take a shot, though it would be a razor thin line as I would fear my own kid becoming collateral damage. FL's provisions for use of deadly force are not too different than NY's; use of deadly force is an option if your life or someone else's life is in imminent danger, or you're being robbed, but I do believe there is specific wording about retreat in FL's laws as well as NY's. When someone is retreating with your kid, that's a different story, you could easily argue you were defending your kid's life, but having a super clear shot is critical in that case, can't think of anything more tragic than shooting your own kid in an attempt to stop a kidnapping.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Of course shooting your own kid would be a big fear (if you had time to fear). Fortunately when a kid is in a stroller, there is still quite a bit of upper body of an adult pushing that stroller, that is still above the child's head. I'd never want to have to take that shot, but as shown here, it can be done.

·
Registered
7,700 Posts
Good for her, she should be reimbursed for the ammo. I hope her kids have short memories.

·
Registered
94 Posts
You left out "with the child" That is completely different than just headed for the door.
Agreed!

Rape(forceful)
Burglary
Arson
Robbery
Kidnapping
Sodomy(forceful)

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
Good for her. It is horrible that she was put into that position in the first place and I could only imagine what was going through her mind as it was taking place but she did the right thing. Even if it was someone elses kid and they said that my kid they are taking then I would think that would be enough to keep someone out of trouble. Kind of like the good faith rule with search warrants.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts