New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can we please change the rules of the classifieds to every other forum out there?

1. Must ask a reasonable price. People that ask these crazy prices are begging for people to comment. They waste space & creat problems.
2. Can only bump if the ad hits the second page or you change the info. This is pretty much on every forum out there.
3. Change the post count to 100. I know 2 forums that do this and it is great. Someone really has to put some time in to get 100 posts.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I really dont see an issue with it now considering we only have 4k members. More rules mean more issues in the end. We dont have the number of members like the other forums. I think maybe adding another Mod might be in order for the market place if its an issue cleaning it up. I do think the rules should be followed like the thread crapping though. Negative posts and putting your 2 cents in where it dont belong like stating an item is overpriced is nobody's concern except the sellers and buyers. Stiffer penalty's for breaking the rules like a week off instead of a day or 2 maybe. Start regulating like you are suggesting and it will be like a communist state. If an items overpriced someone buys it they should have done their homework before overpaying. And who's gonna be the judge and jury deciding a fair price? I think that would put a hell of alot more work for the Mod's than necessary anyhow.

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I really dont see an issue with it now considering we only have 4k members. More rules mean more issues in the end. We dont have the number of members like the other forums. I think maybe adding another Mod might be in order for the market place if its an issue cleaning it up. I do think the rules should be followed like the thread crapping though. Negative posts and putting your 2 cents in where it dont belong like stating an item is overpriced is nobody's concern except the sellers and buyers. Stiffer penalty's for breaking the rules like a week off instead of a day or 2 maybe. Start regulating like you are suggesting and it will be like a communist state. If an items overpriced someone buys it they should have done their homework before overpaying. And who's gonna be the judge and jury deciding a fair price? I think that would put a hell of alot more work for the Mod's than necessary anyhow.
Somehow it all works on other forums. If anything it allows a cleaner for sale section. It's kinda ironic, if a store/website had something overpriced, no one has any problem telling the members on the forum. But if there is a for sale post, no one can say anything, but yet the thread can get bumped & bumped.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Bumping I totally agree Cooden. The 24 hr thing needs to be regulated. I see alot bumping in half the time they are allowed. Maybe as I stated before by adding another Mod and stiffer penalty's possibly?

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
Reasonable is what the seller wants for it or the buyer is willing to pay. Might as well say if it's above blue book don't post. The rules are fine IMO and people are not begging for comments. If your not interested shut your pie hole. The issue is some posters need some classes on self restraint!

As far as bumping I agree there should be a second page or change info rule because I see sellers bumping posts after a couple of hours sometimes.

100 post rule would just fill the forum with useless posts.

·
Banned
5,970 Posts
A change I would like to see is the original add with asking price remain in place after the sale so we have an idea of what is selling for what price. I really dont' understand why people feel the need to delete their entire add after the sale.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I think most do it for the sake of the buyer. I dont change mine after the sale because its a good resource to justify values in the long run. But think others do it incase the buyer needs to sell it later and if the market changes which it always does. I see the market in guns is much like the automotive market. I been in the car business for 25 yrs and know the market changes every 3-4 months. Mostly we pay attention to recent auction sales in deciding a trade in allowance. If the buyer of the gun wants to sell it 6 months later and the market value goes up 20% then someone chimes in that he paid 20% less and why is he trying to rip people off it becomes an issue.

·
Registered
556 Posts
i like the idea of a higher post count for posting a for sale ad.

i think that the once per day bump is fine. a lot of ads would never make it to the second page and someone wants to bump their ad. if anyone has questions it would be easier and take up less space if they just pm the seller than to keep posting on the thread.

As to pricing, let them ask what they want. if its to high nobody will buy it. if someone pays to much they failed to research before. if someone thinks it costs to much or would like to send an offer, pm the seller. there is no reason to make offers over the thread, it takes up more space and causes more problems.

We are a small enough forum, we do not have an insane amount of for sale threads that it is to hard to handle. Change the post count requirement and leave the rest alone.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Page 2 bump as defined by people who have thier profile preferences General Settings 'show number of posts' setting at 5, 20, or 40?
Bumps need to be calender related, not # of posts in thread.

3~4 day manditory wait between bumps IMO as default profile 'show threads newer than' setting is a week or 10 days IIRC so a thread is going to show up for that long anyway with no bumps at all.
If someone doesn't see it in that amount of time chances are more than fair that they simply aren't looking and if they are but can't find it need to learn how to use the 'click here for older threads' button and/or work the search engine to find 8+ day old threads or specific items of interest rather than playing the grocery store checkout impulse item method.

A 24 hour bump is BS to any newer for sale threads as it puts some old stuff up above fresh new stuff which in turn causes the now set back new posters to bump thier own stuff to get it back where it should be.
Net result is a potential pile of bumps back and forth every day in a race to keep thier own thread in view.
Utterly non~productive and pretty much ****s everybody, sellers and buyers alike.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I agree Tifosi, 3 day mandatory would be my suggestion also. Really not needed every 24 hrs considering we only have a handful of new threads every 24 hrs.
And in my for sale threads I always mention to please send a PM and dont post pm sent as its just confusing and add's up unneeded posts. And senseless "Wow love the gun and glws" just hurts in the end too. If your not a serious buyer then dont post

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I'm not particularly adverse to prospective purchasers asking pertinant questions in public rather than PM/email as it may be helpful to others who may want to know or who would just avoid a deal because X info wasn't provided and they didn't want (or may not know how) to use the contact system.
It can help the flow rather than clot it IOW.

ref: how many times have we seen the questions 'is that preban?' and 'is that compliant?'
All it would take is one curious individual to ask 1x publically and everyone else would know when the answer was provided instead of 80 folks sending messages all asking the same thing and ending up as the only people who actually have that answer.
There might be a guy doing the peepee dance with cash in hand 3 blocks away from the seller but doesn't know how to PM so walks away instead.

Definitely no original thread creators pimping thier own stuff by bumping every day though..

·
Registered
573 Posts
When I was a mod on a VERY active paintball board, there were no "bumps". That kept new, active items at the top, and old, overpriced crap would sink to the bottom. It also eliminated the need for a mod to check the same thread over and over, compare post times, etc. It was a faster, cleaner system in my opinion.

Posts that did not have to do directly with the sale were deleted. If a question was posted to the seller, the post stayed. If it was a "Wow, I wish I could" post, it was gone. If it was a "I wish I could right now, but let me see how my money situation works out" it would stay. I know I would post in a few sale threads to keep an eye on them, and maybe make an offer if the items didn't sell in a week, so "Just tagging this to see if I can afford it in a week" would also stay.

We also closed any thread that went more than two weeks without activity. Once the thread was closed, you could re-post the items for sale if you wanted to. The advantage there is simple: I could do it in the control panel without having to manually check each threads post date. It also made it very easy to temp ban users who broke the rules, since there was NO wiggle room.

On the issue of prices, that's up to the seller and the buyer. I have seen junk posted for way too much of an asking price, but someone was willing to pay it, and it sold. What I am willing to pay can be very different than what someone else is willing to pay.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I think that if a question is asked by pm then seller should edit original with the answer. But all in all some things should be allowed as far as valid questions pertaining to the item. Alot of times people will forget to mention important info about the item

·
Registered
7,700 Posts
I think it's been worked out long ago. If the price is to high it won't sell. As for stiffer penalties, that can be arranged;)

·
Registered
471 Posts
Try to penalize me. I dare ya.

I am invincible on this board. I can do whatever I want and noone will stop me.

Bwahahaha!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Yeap, At the end of the day its Jeff's dollar keeping this great forum going. So of course it's his baby and his overall decision in the end. Anyway you look at it work's for me. He's got a great thing going here and I thank god he started it up 5 yrs ago

1 - 20 of 113 Posts