New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the for sale section there is a thread about some great air rifles for sale and it prompted me to write this.

I want to go on the record here that I do not advocate breaking the law, nor do I intentionally do so myself. However for educational purposes let's explore some options.

If your intention is to clandestinely shoot squirrels that are raiding your bird feeder, the sound of the gunshot must be reduced or eliminated. We all know that suppressors are not allowed in New York State so some other method of quieting the shot must be sought. (Don't even consider making a suppressor, the consequences of getting caught are severe.)

Immediately we all think of air rifles. Air rifles are currently available in reasonably powerful and accurate models. However, these models are not all that quiet. Also, good air rifles are expensive.

I'd like to suggest an alternative; get some Aguila Super Colibri .22LR, 20-grain Solid Point ammunition. For $3.49 you can get 50-rounds to experiment with. Fired from a .22RF bolt action rifle this ammunition is no louder than an air rifle. Fire from well back inside the room with the window only open a crack and the report is undetectable.

There is a warning that this ammunition should only be fired from handguns because the bullet may get stuck in rifle barrels so make sure your rifle will tolerate these little pills. This ammunition works great in my M6 Scout for potting small game at close range.

Super Colibri has no powder, relying on only the primer to propel the bullet down the bore. The result is an extremely quiet rimfire round, perfect for close-range pest control or quiet plinking.

WARNING: These rounds are powered by the rimfire primer only. They must only be fired in handguns. If fired in rifles, the bullet may remain lodged in the barrel.

• Will not cycle the slide of semi-automatic handguns
• Aguila packages these as Long Rifle ammunition, but they are in fact slightly shorter than a 22 Long cartridge

Technical Information
• Caliber: 22 Long Rifle
• Bullet Weight: 20 Grains
• Bullet Style: Lead Solid

Ballistics Information:
• Muzzle Velocity: 500 fps
• Muzzle Energy: 11 ft. lbs.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
great idea, I used to use .22 shot shells, open the barn door and wait for them to come check out what as going on and try to get a shot in with the pistol before they realized what was going on

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
Rumor has it, that a few well placed shots to the head with these "silent assasins" can dispatch rabid raccoons without individuals 50' away even knowing that anything was going on. Keep in mind that this is strictly urban legend, but it does seem plausible to me.

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
Move to Greenfield from Smithtown LI in 99 danm squirrel was at the bird feeder and my crossman 760 was wore out then it hit me I'm not on the Island any more and I'm more then 500 ft from the closes house I can use my 22 (put a pretty good dent in the feeder) now when I come out of the house the squirrels don't just run up a tree they head for Sacandaga

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
Kmussack gotta ask whats taped to the stock on your M6? You looking for some lucky lady while out squirrel hunting?;)

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Rumor has it, that a few well placed shots to the head with these "silent assasins" can dispatch rabid raccoons without individuals 50' away even knowing that anything was going on. Keep in mind that this is strictly urban legend, but it does seem plausible to me.
.22 PCP or .22 Gamo whisper if in a budget are also very efficient for pests...

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Everyone needs this setup just for those times when you're not quite on your game!! "I missed BUT ... here watch this scenario because this type of bird has mind reading capabilities and I was within 50yds of it and it knew when I was going to pull the trigger and then watch it purposely push that branch down to deflect my pellet!!!" :)

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have shot a couple of boxes of Super Colibri through my Winchester 1890 pump with no problems. I even shot 5 rounds through my 10/22 manually ejecting. Shot fine and as near silent as you can get. The 10/22 was a bit nosier than the pump. The pump you could hear the hammer hit, then the bullet hit the target, then hit the berm. First one I shot I didn't think it fired till I saw the hole in the target. Not real accurate especially in the 10/22, probably because it was loosing some of it's oomph when the bolt would start to come back. I plan to get some of the new Quiet CCI ammo to try. I have heard good things about it's accuracy, maybe a bit louder.

As far as squirrel control, I luckily live far enough into the woods that know one mind me making noise so I use my 12g pump instead. Really hate those tree rats and they are so gun shy most of my shots are out of the top of the trees after they run off from the bird feeder.

·
The artist formerly known as jhm8071
5,143 Posts
I love firing these out of my 22a. I take it with me deer hunting to "play" with the squirrels when I get bored.

·
Registered
8,391 Posts
You guys want a Kool air rifle?? cost some bucks but its fun as hell . The airforce condor .It is a major varmit azz wipper!!! It comes stock with a Lothar Walther match grade barrel , and will out shoot a lot of powderburners @100 yards. that no bull crap. it will fire a 32 grain pellet over 1100 FPS . the power is ajustable . It is in the sniper class for air rifles , DEADLY DEADLY accurate. You can buy a ""shroud "" for it which will reduce the report to the sound of a staple gun or daisy red ryder , The ATF considers them legal because they cannot be easeily fitted to firearms . Some rifles like the Benjaman Marauder has a built in shroud . The Condor is the better rifle by far, and can be bought stock in 177, 20 22 25 calibers. with interchangeable barrels so you can switch calibers anytime. These are not your Daddys daisys, these are toys for big boys .Mine blew through a 1 inch counter top with authority!! When I first got it . I took a few shots in my garage . it went through my back stop and through my garage wall!! It will take any small game . people have used them on ***** fox woodchucks .

They are are awsome rifles. Here is a forum for airforce rifles if you want to know more. TalonAirgun.com - Index

Airforce Condor VS Chipboard - YouTube

AirForce Talon SS/Condor w/ High Pressure Air - YouTube

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
You guys want a Kool air rifle?? cost some bucks but its fun as hell . The airforce condor .It is a major varmit azz wipper!!! It comes stock with a Lothar Walther match grade barrel , and will out shoot a lot of powderburners @100 yards. that no bull crap. it will fire a 32 grain pellet over 1100 FPS . the power is ajustable . It is in the sniper class for air rifles , DEADLY DEADLY accurate. You can buy a ""shroud "" for it which will reduce the report to the sound of a staple gun or daisy red ryder , The ATF considers them legal because they cannot be easeily fitted to firearms . Some rifles like the Benjaman Marauder has a built in shroud . The Condor is the better rifle by far, and can be bought stock in 177, 20 22 25 calibers. with interchangeable barrels so you can switch calibers anytime. These are not your Daddys daisys, these are toys for big boys .Mine blew through a 1 inch counter top with authority!! When I first got it . I took a few shots in my garage . it went through my back stop and through my garage wall!! It will take any small game . people have used them on ***** fox woodchucks .

They are are awsome rifles. Here is a forum for airforce rifles if you want to know more. TalonAirgun.com - Index

Airforce Condor VS Chipboard - YouTube

AirForce Talon SS/Condor w/ High Pressure Air - YouTube
condor is way overpriced

you can get a better pcp air rifle for less

i have springers that will take down a deer , (assuming your in a state that allows it) that cost less than 200 new with decent scopes

i think this original post was started by the springers and nitro piston rifles i traded a while back

one of those is the most silent weapon ive discharged .. its the benjamin trail nitro pistol with shrouded barrel (weight very little) it will take down prey as large as a rabid racoon or medium coyote (or large coydog) (traded only due to fact i have the xl version now which is louder)

here is a link of it... beats a 22short any day, Benjamin Trail NP Nitro Piston HD.mp4 - YouTube

these are powerful and very quiet... draw your own conclusions

1 - 14 of 14 Posts